why shoe?

"If your horse is sound in shoes, it should be 100% sound on grass and in a school barefoot - immediately" - www.barefoothorses.co.uk

If Bags has her shoes pulled and is lame by about 2-3/10ths then that would suggest an underlying problem that is masked the majority of the time by the shoes?

It would suggest the feet aren't very healthy, going lame after being shod 6 weeks would also suggest all is not well with the feet. Its very rare for a horse to be 100% fine and healthy footed in shoes and be lame without shoes on soft ground, but going lame after 6 weeks indicates all is not fine even with shoes.

They are on a starvation paddock do you think the grass could still be making them footy?

Its less likely than on lush grass, but just not enough food going through can irritate the guts and make some horses footy as well as stressed grass possibly being bad. And I did have my horses on one field for a very short time that managed to give everything laminitis despite not appearing to be lush or having much on. What else is she eating, like what chaff and supplement?

Another possiblity is that she's had laminitis in the past, even quite mild can make some feet flare and get flat soled, and they've just never had an opportunity to recover since it is really difficult to get concavity back while shod. Plus once the feet have gone out of shape even really mild bits of LGL can really hold up the recovery.

Bramble (one with low soles) has also started to plait her hind legs where she had straight conformation before and another farrier suggested my current one left them high on one side each which could be causing stress on her legs thus causing her lameness, he's a friend but is based too far out to regularly shoe her.

Kira was fine unshod when she came to me, she's hardly done any work but has been trimmed once (frog and sole trimmed a little) and now she is very footy over stones

Plaiting can be made worse by foot balance being out, and it being a new thing would suggest cr*p farriery and not a conformation thing. Both having problems suggests that either both are being affected by the same diet issue or the farrier needs sacking..

Can anyone give a rough guide to pricing for a trimmer to do your trim and also how often does your trimmer visit? Is it worth paying for a trimmer to come out and assess Bramble as to if she can viably go barefoot

I used to pay £40. Most trimmers will come out and have a look at the feet and then let you decide if you want to go for it but it does help to not have a shoe in the way. A good way to do it is get a trimmer out 5 or so weeks after being shod, let them take the shoe off and have a look and if you decide not to go for it then farrier out and 'the shoe fell off'
a025.gif
if you don't want to admit to the trimmer visit :)

She's not likely to be one that can have shoes off and carry on but light work in boots and pads would actually help the feet. One option is to shoe when you're competing a lot if boots aren't practical and let the feet have a break and use boots over winter or whenever she's doing less work.

Yann using your method (accounting for inexperience here) it looks like three are out of balance and hind and front worse than the other hind.

Melanie she goes lame about 3/10th in the 7th week if you go to 8wks she's hopping.

They get a small amount of hay out to munch on too through the day, Bags gets a scoop of redigrass, a small about of unmolassed beet pulp and equivit. I cannot put her on happy hoof or cereals as she immediatly hots up and if still fed has a LGL attack :rolleyes: she has definatly had two positively diagnosed lami attacks one concussive when she was 2 and one feed related at 3, we have had what appears to be LGL attacks on occasions when in grass flushes or too many concentrates, it's part of the reason I moved them in order to moniter her diet better as she was out on 4 acres of good grazing full time before. Condition wise she is spot on for this time of year and is getting worked at least 5 days a week

Kira is on the same feed but larger quantities and gets a lot more hay at night due to growing she always looks like she lacks somewhat

I am waiting for a call re our driving club and boots all other local clubs that we ride with accept them so long as the horse comes up sound with them, so fingers crossed, also have contacted a trimmer and will do as you suggest and get her out pre shoeing if she's willing.

Yann using your method (accounting for inexperience here) it looks like three are out of balance and hind and front worse than the other hind.

Photos usually tell the tale too if you wanted to post some?

newrider.com