will a vet give out antibiotics with out seeing the horse

lisa+pilgrim

Feb 6, 2009
south Wales, UK
hi guys, my boy pill got into a bit of a cuffufal with scotty a few days ago, hes been fine in himself, hes not lame, have been hosing down but the wound keeps getting dirty, as he is a roller.
im not to worried with it, but was wondering if i should get some antibiotics to be safe, but knowing its going to be £50 for the vet to come out, i was wondering if they will give them to me with out the call out.

ring your vet, explain what happened and see what he/she says? my old vets were happy to give me stuff like bute if and when i asked for it,but i suspect antibiotics might be different and he might have to see the wound to make a decision, as they shouldnt be given too often i suspect (eg similar to people, we could build up an immunity and that wouldnt be so good)

Julia
x

That's something else different about being here.

We keep injectable antibiotics in the equine first aid kit.

If a horse has a wound or infection or anything, I ring the vet, tell him which horse and their weight, (he knows all ours!) and he tells me how much antibiotic to inject, IM or IV, the vet will then attend only if necessary.

If someone had told me 5 years ago that I'd be doing this I would have had a fit - now I handle FAR more veterinary matters / procedures than I would have ever done in the UK, and the vets are VERY happy for owners to treat their own horses, once they have demonstrated that they are capable and competant and willing to do so. I'm even allowed to assist with operations. :)

I would have thought that if your vet knows you L&P, they should give you some antibiotic. Unless it's 'illegal' for them to do that in the UK, or something. Or they want a call out fee. ;)

Good luck. :)

Strictly, vets are not permitted to prescribe any drug without seeing the animal, apart from repeats for up to six months. Some vets will however, if they know the owner well enough to know that the owner is knowledgable enough in requesting them. This does not mean a vet who refuses does not trust you, but is simply sticking to the rules.:cool:

Rusty had a nasty cut on his leg a few weeks ago that didn't seem too bad a first but the swelling didn't go down after 2 days. YO phoned vet and gave his weight and he did prescribe antibiotic over the phone. He's fine now:)

Not sure what the rules are in Canada but obviously YO is very knowledgeable and it was a fairly straightforward issue.

Mine did.

Heart cut his leg a few weeks ago and I gave it a day, kept him in and hosed it but I got worse. I explained to the vet over the phone what had happened and he just left me some trimazadine (sp????) and instructions to pick up from the vets.

thanks guys, it seems to be fine today, all clear and clean of any dirt, so will wait and see, i can imagine although mine is great, shed want to come out, £50 before she even thinks abouth the horse.

According to stroppy receptionist its 'we can't do that! :eek: :eek: ' but once we've got to talk to an actual vet its never been a problem to have antibiotics after a chat with vet on the phone rather than call out.

Strictly speaking, no they cannot.

What kind of relationship you and your vet have is up to you and your vet. But they are not supposed to give out anti biotics unless they have seen the case.

newrider.com