Will I ever learn to ride?

Christene

Dec 15, 1999
Germany
Visit site
Although I do not want to, I am really coming to the conclusion that I will never be able to properly ride. :( I am 33 years old and started riding for the first time ever in September 98. I had about 10 lessons on the lunge before the winter set in and I gave it up as the owner did not have an inside arena.

From February - June 1999 I found a riding stable which offered group lessons on school horses. The teacher ignored me and never offered any tips - and the school horses only followed one another - totally oblivious to any aids. I quit becuase I figured it was a waste of money to continue.

In January 2000, I was lucky enough to find someone who was looking to share her horse. What a difference from the school horses! I also got in contact with the local teacher at the stable. I have been taking 2 lessons a week since February. The teacher is really good - always has many tips during the lessons and lots of patience.

My main frustration - I cannot canter. We tried it on the lunge tonight so I could focus on my seat. But, my seat was so insecure, my legs, back and arms were flailing all over - and this just told the poor horse to go faster and faster which turned into a vicious cycle.

Although I consider myself to be at least average intellegence and athletic ability, I really think I am the only one who has taken so long to learn the basics of riding and maybe I should quit. Any comments?

I think perhaps it's the instructors who should give up! Cantering on the lunge is not easy unless you have a well mannered, balanced horse which it sounds like you did not! I wouldn't presume to ofer advice without seeing you, but please try to find a decent instructor, even if you have to pay a bit more for a few lessons, you will make it! Have you read Heather's book, it might be helful for you.

Hey don't give up so easily. remember anything worth having is worth working hard for.
Riding isn't something that you will learn overnight, it takes hours and hours of practice. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Have you tried holding the saddle with one hand, reins in the other at canter. This seems to help steady the position. It feels very 'western' (in a yeeha sense - which is great!) but gives you the opportunity to feel the movement of the horse and you don't have the problem of your arms etc getting in the way and feeling off balance.

My (wonderful) instructor has many (varied) methods of developing the rider's balance and confidence in canter. It may be that another method (or instructor) might work better for you.

I often amaze myself at how 'thick' I can be as soon as I start to ride!

Stick with it.

Good Luck.

Hi Christene,

Of course you will learn. I think, the most important thing is a willingness to learn and an enthusiasm for horses. You seem to have both, and, as the others said already, it might not be you but bad instruction that makes you progress so slowly. And you are progressing, I'm sure of that. Also, don't forget that you had lots of breaks in-between your riding. I don't agree with people who say that riding horses is like riding a bike: once you know how to do it, you don't forget.

Take myself as an example: I used to ride a lot until I was fourteen, and have only started again recently, at 24. Imagine my frustration, when I found out that I had to learn nearly everything again, exept how to sit on a horse!!

If you enjoy riding, don't give up just because things are progressing slowly.
Hope this helps,
Good luck
Katrin

Christene

One of the best things about riding is that you never stop learning - I've been riding at least a couple of times a month since I was 7 or 8 (a long time ago!) and owned my own horse for 3 years and I've still got so much to learn. Lucky me.

Just think about all you have achieved since your first started having lessons. You can mount, dismount, walk and trot now. And remember that coming to riding as an adult you're likely to have to unlearn more
bad postural habits than a child. You know what you're aiming for - break it down into smaller chunks - don't expect to be able to do it all at once.

We all hit stumbling blocks from time to time. I'd got to an impasse with riding Carrie but a change of instructor has worked wonders in just 3 lessons. So now we can manage to keep on the bit in walk and trot without arguing - which we haven't been able to for som time. So that's progress. Trouble is now that as soon as we go into canter all my bad habits resurface. But hey - it's a learning experience we can resolve that one too with time.

Maybe you need to find an instructor you can trust with an experienced school master lunge horse so that you can try cantering in a safe environment.

I intriduced my husband to riding in his thirties. He was never athletically co-ordinated not having been able to take any sports while growing up. It has taken two long years for him to feel like he has made any progress but now it is starting to come together. For the first months even simple posting was a mamouth task resulting in rivers of sweat and a look of sheer agony. Those days are all behind him now.

Hi Heather,

I live Germany. Moved here 3 years ago from the States. My German is pretty good, but had to start from scratch learning the names of the tack, parts of the horse, arena figures - not to mention trying to understand what the insturctor is trying to convey to me in my lesson.

I don't know if my instructor has a BHS equivalent - but definitely has a German professional level certification in care, handling, training and riding horses.

I really don't think riding comes that easily - because if it were, we'd all be top dressage riders by now! Don't worry - so long as you keep the faith and keep trying - never mind if you stumble, you can always get up again - you'll get there someday.

Bye, hope this helps!

Don't despair!

I am still trying to perfect my canter (I began riding 6 months ago - this is 12 hours worth of lessons!).

You don't mention what type of horse/pony you are riding but if you are having a great deal of trouble it is worth asking your instructor for one with a smooth canter stride. When my instructor put me on a 'smoother' horse I nearly fell off in shock!

(Then when you have perfected your position you can return to the 'choppy'!)

I am now doing this and have found that those initial smooth lessons have helped a lot.

It is also worth checking your general position - is is really secure in walk and trot?

Hope this helps! :)

newrider.com