Wintec saddles

Allie

Calypso & Champagne
Sep 26, 1999
Kansas USA
hometown.aol.com
Has anyone had any experiences with the new Wintec saddle that have the easy change gullet system? I have a couple of hard to fit horses that I would like to be able to ride english occasionally, but I cannot afford a custom made saddle. It took me forever to find a western saddle to fit the narrower one of the two, and it still only fits the other "better". I mostly ride now in my bareback pad, as there are no fit problems there. Anyways, back to the subject. I was looking into these adjustable gullet saddles, and I just wanted to hear other people's opinions on them before I went out and bought one (as I really can't even afford that right now, and I already have too many saddles!). Also, does anyone know of anywhere that sells them for less than $315? That is the cheapest price I have found, and that is minus fittings, and you also have to buy the interchangeable gullet plate. Opinions please!

Allie

I have a Wintec 500.

I bought my new Wintec 500 for $315. The lady at the store where I bought it really loves helping people out and the companies she sells for have a fit when she goes under the recommended prices. She only makes a profit of $40 per saddle, and $315 was a severe stress of her limit. I have only rode in it once, and it is very comfortable, with adjustable knee rolls. Justin (my horse) is a western built QH, and since he's young his back is going to change a lot. I only have to pay $14 when I need a new gullet change for the metal part, and the lady will change it for free. I highly recommend the Wintec. It looks like leather but it isn't.

I bought a Wintec 500 last year when my horse was just coming back into work after a long break and I knew his back would be changing shape alot. He has already gone from a medium to a medium-wide! I've found the interchangeable gullets really useful. In the UK you can take the saddle in and have the new gullet fitted, but the saddler will charge you about £10-£15 AND keep the old gullet!!! I've ordered a range of the wider gullets from the Robinsons catalogue and change them myself, it only takes 5 minutes, all you need is a screwdriver and a bit of determination. I don't feel I've had the saddle long enough to comment on how good quality it is though.

Thanks for your replies, unfortunatly the saddle is on hold for now because gas prices have skyrocketed again ($1.79 a gallon!), and I am going to have to pay some show bills soon...which costs even more with the raised gas costs...

Allie

If only petrol (gas) were that cheap here! Ours costs £1.82p a LITRE in the UK! I think that the dollar is about 1.62 to the pound or something.

Heather

newrider.com