Wood pellets for betting

I use them and love then they are great. I used to get mine from liverpool wood pellets but managed to find somewhere cheaper so now get them from there instead.

It's cheaper if you can get them delivered to your house though because you only need to pay 5% VAT opposed to the 20% VAT if it's for horses.

When you lay them, you need to water them, they they will eventually compact down. I simply scoop the poos of the top with very little waste if any. The wee just soaks in, i tend to remove the really really wet patches every week then top up with a bag.

Yes, we have ours on wood pellets with rubber matting. We have 16 stables and the horses live in, so it's really in our interests to have a bedding that is both cheap to buy in bulk and quick & easy to muck out, and wood pellets fit the bill perfectly. They have a fairly thin bed (thick beds of wood pellets don't work IME) and most of the horses need a new bag once a week. You can also get a special limestone-based powder to use beneath fresh pellets which makes them stay dryer for longer.

Manufacturers' recommendation is to water them when you put fresh ones in - we don't do this here and I didn't on my previous yard either. TBH it's something I don't quite understand, as it seems illogical to use up some of their absorbency before they've even had a chance to be peed on! When I first started using them at my last yard I watered them as suggested, but I found that the beds got too wet too quickly, it just made the bed too "heavy" which to me defeated the purpose of getting something light & quick to muck out. The dry pellets break up underfoot in no time. I personally don't think watering them is advantageous.

I use them and have done for years.
As Joosie does I keep the bed quite shallow (on top of rubber matting) but I do wet the bag first, although with Oscar I used to chuck them in dry, I love them and wouldn't use anything else now, they are cheap, smell gorgeous, easy to much out with hardly any waste.
I have used a couple of different brands but my favourite by far I buy from Corley Bio Wood near Coventry. I go fetch my own and they are about £2.20 for a 10kg bag and I use one fresh bag every five days at the most, so very economical.
Saving time I think depends on your horse, Oscar was a messy lad and would trash his bed every night, Belle is the opposite and it takes me all of five minutes to muck her stable out.

More questions! How many bags will I need (to get going on and on a weekly basis) if I also rubber mat my stable? Do those of you with shallow beds muck the whole lot out each week? Is it a suitable bedding for a really grubby mare who makes a horrible mess of her bed? (And she's so pretty and refined-looking too!)

I use 10 bag to start with on rubber matting, water it and then let it settle. Over time it will begin to compact down so you can just lift the droppings of the top. I too keep a fairly shallow bed but my ponies tend to pee in the same place so i just remove the wet bit at the weekend and put down a bag to replace what i have taken out, i don't wet the new stuff i put down just mix it with the existing pellets. I never remove the whole bed until the summer when they start living out and i wash the stable down.

Rubber matting is by far the best thing. I invested in rubber mats about 20 years ago, all still going strong, did the stables and the cattle byre out with them. Saved me a fortune in bedding over the years

Rubber mats ordered (2nd hand off eBay.) 480kgs of wood pellets being delivered to my house this week! We also have a wood-burning stove....man, our garage is going to be chocka!

newrider.com