Would you buy it?

chriscross

Mar 15, 2000
uk
Visit site
I've just looked at a 15hh cob gelding 8 years old. Lovely looking but totally unresponsive to the leg no impulsion would be happy at a slow walk for ever really seems to of mentally switched off more a pet and likes people company. Lives alone and is overweight but do you think if he moved homes a sparkle might appear with schooling, hacks out in company etc. It was all kick kick, stick to shift him and canter just about impossible. Not a nasty bone in his body. Does anyone have any experience of a similar situation - I'd be interested to hear from you. Why do horses end up like this at such an early age is there any potential or as I suspect I just have to keep looking!

Hi, I'm in the process of looking for a horse, and some of them that i have looked at i will just keep kicking and kicking for them to go!! and they will just be going a slow slow slow walk. It gets sooo tiering after a while, and the owner says they have lots of get up and go but when u get on there so incredibily slow!!
Jessica

The pertinent point could well be. Is overweight. Our daughter's pony was an overweigth lazy riding school lump when we got him on long term loan six months ago. He is now 3/4 of his former self, still genuine but thanks to excercise, schooling and a strict diet, is alovely ride. Go with you gut instincts. There is a lot be said for geniune good nature.

Hi Chriscross

Can you have this horse on loan with the option to buy after a set period? This may be the best solution. In my opinion, one of the most important factors in buying a horse is their temperament. You can work on changing other factors to suit you but not (usually) temperament. If you do go ahead, you have to start as you mean to go on and be ready to back up your leg aids with a tap behind your leg - not to punish him but just to remind him to listen to your leg. What has the present owner been doing with him? It does depend on what you want to do with him but see if you can have him on loan and keep us all posted on how you get on!

Judy (owner of a cob mare)
:) :) :)

I couldn't agree more. If these people are serious about selling the horse it's only fair that they give you a trial period. But do get a written agreement stating, while he is with you, whom is responsible for vet fees, insurance, shoeing and all the other little things that go with owning a horse. Also that you reserve the right not to buy without giving a reason. Good luck, he sounds a real sweetie.

Hi

How experienced are you? I bought an almost identical horse a year ago and she has changed some due to exercise, diet and schooling. I would go for it - but beware that your horse may take a year or two to get into shape and if competing is a near-term goal maybe it's not the one for you. If you have time, however, you'll probably be rewarded. You do need experience to bring on a horse though - it's very frustrating when the darn animal won't do what you want it to!One thing that always sticks in my mind when I look through the horses for sale ads and choose my ideal horse...:you can be a millionaire and have people to train you horse but at the end of the day you can only ride what you can handle - the cob sounds a sweetie and I am sure he will throw down a few challenges for you but it will all be within your scope - unlike a fizzy TB type who could prove to be beyond your experience and could put you off riding for good!

My Tristan was an overweight slug; improved 100% with fittening and schooling - but it took a very long time. I'd agree with the people who say have him on trial - and it's not worth it unless he has three good paces to start with. Will you let us know what you decide?

From somebody who bought a horse completely the opposite, did what we came to call gallopy-gallopy and completely shattered my fragile confidence I would agree with everybody's answers. See if you can have him on loan and be prepared to work hard.

I got so paranoid about my last horse that when my instructor, who eventually took the horse on for me, said that he had done some brilliant counter-canter I misheard him and thought he had done his wall of death ride with him in the school.

Go for the cob, my little mare who is a cob is one of the most affectionate and sweet natured things. A good temperament is worth its weight in gold!!

Good luck.

newrider.com