Would You Let Your Child Teach Their Pony To Rear?

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Wasn't sure where to put this so popped it in cafe.

Ok i've had a browse on you tube, dumb i know, but i was surprised to see that there are videos of children who teach their pony to rear. This is among other things and obviously being videod by the parents who are apparently knowledgeable horse people.

Now when i was a kid this would likely have been a fun thing to do, it wouldn't have been until it came time to sell the pony that the rearing up would have put off people letting their little six yr old sit on it.

I understand they rear in play, i understand they rear when they get their feet stuck and are in pain. It is a natural thing for them to do.

Although i do horsemanship i do not do tricks, Jack is first and foremost a pony who is a prey animal and lives as one. He is not my toy, although some things maybe considered different to some as we "play" at liberty, but it is not a trick.

Discuss which ever direction as i'm interested in all views.

No no and no!!!! She needs absolutley no encouragement to mess about under saddle. She came with a notorious reputation of bucking and rearing... Thankfully never done either with me on board and never want her to do it again either. Did think the forehand was getting a little light on our solo hack the other night... but phew she went backwards! (New tactic for us)

We do things that have no importance to her, like kisses, and like you we "play" - I like her to have to think about how she sorts the situation out, how she gets the treat or the pressure off.

But rearing no, no way. Not unless we were in some kind of display team LOL.

HELL NO !!!! I would dread to think of one of the boys being on something rearing regardless of if they could stay on or not. What if something unstables the pony and it goes over backwards ontop of the rider.

Doesnt bear thinking about the outcome. How to scare a child in under 30 seconds springs to mine. Im sorry to say but these people shouldnt be working with children or animals :mad:

only if I wanted to visit hospital often and loved filling out legal forms and claiming on my public liability insurance....oh and if I never wanted to sell the pony.:rolleyes:

Very silly idea.

No, but it wasn't that unusual when I was in pony club, also ponies being taught to buck if you put your hand on their bums and used to catch out unsuspecting annoying kids (none of my ponies reared or bucked I hasten to add) this was all seen as just part and parcel of mucking about with ponies (and this was only the 80s, although a number of the instructors were getting on a bit). Not something I'd like to see in kid's ponies, especially considering they will probably end up sold on at some point. I have ridden trained rearers and they use it just like any other maneouvre, on command and controlled and I have never seen them use it as an evasion, even when they are being naughty (maybe a bit like teaching the rein-back, have never seen any of mine then using backing up as an evasion?), but kids ponies, definitely no.

newrider.com