Would you?

I tried horses from five private owners before going to a dealer.

Every one of the private sellers had been dishonest somewhere, be it height (13.3 being 12.2!) 'allrounder' never been schooled...etc. (I'm not saying private sellers are always liars!)

The dealer had two horses I would've bought, but I chose the slightly older one :) the dealer was totally honest, I've had no nasty surprises. He probably did cost more than a private seller would charge.

If I ever buy another horse it will be from a (reputable) dealer, probably the same one I got my boy from.

You just have to make sure it is a dealer with a good reputation and trustworthy references.

Echo what a lot of other people have said. I bought my first horse from a dealer and it was a complete disaster ending in me having to let him go for half what I paid for him :eek: I bought my second from a very reputable dealer who told me the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth realizing that I was a bit 'new' to all this.

We bought our lead rein pony privately and he was the most traumatic purchase as we left 3 kids standing crying as we drove off with him in the trailer. They had accumulated 5 ponies between them and wanted new ponies as their skills advanced and were told by their parents you can buy one when you sell one!! :rolleyes: Parents were completely unknowledgable and a 15 yr old girl was in charge of all aspects of horsey activities. Her methods were very ... 'different' from what I would do myself. Bob had all the qualities we were looking for though even if he was a bit bargey from being kicked on all the time and he has calmed down no end since we've had him.

The moral of the story I suppose is ask around a lot about dealers before you go near them and always take a knowledgable person with you who has your interests at heart ;)

I bought my last horse from a dealer and I wanted a cob type which I was advised to have by my RI for my first horse after a long break (children etc.) anyway the one I fell in love with was certainly not the steady cob that I thought - he was sharp, clever, and quirky with a right character but I persevered with him, did Parelli, and believed in him and then I had to sell him which still upsets me now but I kept in touch with his new owner who qualified him for HOYS this year as a show cob! I knew he had talent but I knew I wouldn't be able to take him to the top and actually if he was still with me he would be a happy hacker. So a happy ending for me but I think there are just no guarantees when you are buying a horse wherever you buy from.

In a word, no.

I hear what everyone is saying - but that's my personal choice, and imho if you want to maximise your chances of getting what youare really after stay away from dealers.

There are just as many unscrupulous private sellers out there - but there are more of them to trawl trough:) I would only buy a horse from a private seller that I had thoroughly checked out - as in spoken to local RC/PC instructors, obtained references from such about said horse, and from someone who was was selling a much loved, long term friend.

- the best things in life dont come easily... it can take a lot of miles and time to find your dream horse, and i dont believe an awful lot of people are willing to put in the leg work,(myself included before i learned the hard way) sorting through all the rubbish in order to find a gem :).

Last edited:
newrider.com