Wow and unwow (if such a word exists!)

Sarah

Jan 13, 1999
Taunton, Somerset, England
hello!

I went to watch a Grand PRix and Prix st George dressage to music competition at Catherston on saturday night. I saw some really fantatic work - horse that were really relaxed and just flowing along, and I also saw some blatant cruelty which, to be honest, shocked me.

One rider, jane Bredin - the one who rides Cupido a lovely chestnut with enormous white stockings on his back legs (they did the Persil ads on TV after the Atlanta Olympics) was riding Cupido and another horse. I have NEVER seen such bad or crule riding. For starter she rode each horse totally lopsidely - her right stirup was about 2 holes longer and she was totally over to that side. Every stride the horse did was accompanied with a severe boot in its ribs (I could hear the kicks over the loud music) and a severe jerk on the reins (moving her hands back about 5-10cm). If you had seen the size of the shanks on her curb bit you would have been horrified! I nearly booed her out of the arena at the end, i just wish i had been brave enough to do so. I was LIVID to discover that she won on Cupido - ok, the horse had nice paces and was accurate but surely that riding should have been penalised!

Is there anything we can do about this? Can i report her to British Dressage for cruelty? What do you all reckon?

bye!

You could try reporting her, but take it from me, nobody would take a blind bit of notice. I've tried, and I am just blackballed because of it.

Heather

Heather,

I am glad you read my post. I might well give them a call this afternoon, they may well not take a blind bit of notice, but at least i will feel a bit happier that I haven't let it pass!

The difference between her riding and that of the bloke who came second - Michel somethingorother on Anastasia was incredible, Anastasia actually looked happy and just 'danced' to the music. I was so cross that such a horrid woman won.

bye!

Just to let you know, i got this reply from the bloke in charge of British Dressage today - so that will be nearly a month after i emailed him to complain then!

"Thank you for your emails concerning Jane Bredin at the Catherston Premier League Show.

This matter has been brought to the attention of the appropriate body within British Dressage and action is currently being taken to address this particular issue.

Thank you for bringing this matter to my attention. It is vital for the future of our sport that such issues are addressed in a timely and appropriate manner.

Yours Sincerely

David Holmes"

Lets just hope he does something then!

We can live in hope!

I watched a local dressage rider/trainer schooling two horses on Sunday and while both horses appeared to going in a nice outline both the horses were very resistant. As demonstrated by plunging up and down on the spot or kicking out. Indeed the younger horse (who was bought because of his kind temperament as a first horse for the owner) had broken the arena fence kicking out a couple of days earlier.

I was sickened by this display - I had up until then thought the trainer a nice rider. But where's the beauty and art in pushing a horse this hard? And what about the poor horse? I want a willing partner who enjoys working with me in a way that doesn't damage him or her mentally or physically. And how can it be correct training - the horses certainly weren't calm and relaxed?

When I asked the yard owner whether all the rider's horses always went like this she said it was because of the pressure the rider put them under. She mentioned a horse that the trainer had owned previously, but not got on with, that had broken the fence 3 or 4 times in as many days by kicking out.

And this from a successful dressage competitor and a senior instructor.

newrider.com