Young Horse, Transitions.

Wally

Apr 16, 2000
Heather,

I have recently tried our 4 yo Fjord mare in a Pelham. She goes so much better in it than her snaffle.

I ask her to relax her jaw and soften, which she does beautifully at halt. Then I ask her to move forward and she hollows. I then ask her to soften in walk, and halt in an out line, which she does. She responds to the backside squeeze so well now that the reins are redundant.
My problem is I'm tempted to stay in that pinched mode as I ask her forward in the belief that she will not hollow as I ask her to walk on. She is very young and keen to learn. Will the beautiful feeling at halt and walk eventually run through the transitions with practice, or am I doing something with my bum during the transition? Any thoughts?

HI Jo, yes, use your fingers to keep the jaw relaxed, a couple of little squeezes left then right hand I find works best ( won't find it in any book other than mine, but then I only teach what I know works!)release your seat, and the back it up with your legs to send her forwards. Even if she resist slightly, use a little stronger squeeze of the fingers, then give a the split second that she yields her lower jaw, still backing it up with the legs. That way she will stay round and keep her back up.

Heather

newrider.com