YucK: licey time of year

eml

Apr 29, 2002
Leicestershire
www.ivanhoeequestrian.net
Being school holidays we have had an influx of helpers today so set them to help get out winter coats. Cue lots of hair everywhere on yard and lots of 'help the dandruff is moving' questions. Several of our RS ponies are older thick coated native types who seem incredibly prone to infestations at this time of year. I love the smell of lice powder and spread it around with gay abandon, not shared with joy by others!

I must admit this year it seems particulaly bad, I suspect due to the warm wet spring softening skin under thick long coats.

Puzzles me however that this has only been a problem in the last few years, what are your thoughts is it climate related?

Sitting itching here :D

Lice LOVE warmer wetter weather (they can hibernate and reproduce better off-horse), so that has to have something to do with it.

Don't mind the smell of lice-powder - its the sore throat you get them you end up inhaling the stuff:eek:

J apparently never had them before but has had them this year and last. They are vile little critters!

Both this year and last have been warmer early on than usual i suppose - grr!!

Still, i have been lucky - Dyl doesn't seem to have got them, just J this year.

My louse powder has gone pink since last year - J is not impressed!

DSC00414.jpg

Poor Hoss :D

I never saw a louse until the last 10 years, and we seem to get at least one of them with a bit of an infestation.

newrider.com