Yummy, I get to buy a new saddle! Help me choose...

sammyantha

Jan 2, 2007
Derbyshire
Yay, after all my hassle with saddles in the past, my OH is buying me one for my birthday in August :D I have up to £1,100 to spend and am torn between a western treeless, or classic dressage saddle. Have already messaged Poohsmate :D

Saddle suggestions? Main criteria:
Changeable or one that fits all shapes, as I don't want to be buying a new one each time she changes shape
DEEP seat that puts me in the right position and feels lovely
One I can ride long distances in, but also some dressage (I know, I don't ask for much ;) )

Piccies would be good if you have suggestions :D

I've been very happy with my Saddle Co working hunter. Puts you in a nice position for dressage but with the big knee blocks it's fine for fast work in a forward seat & jumping. It's being adjusted width-wise as my horse grows and the flocking can be added to as necessary. With your budget you could have a spare!!

what a great budget!!!
i'm currently buying/looking :rolleyes: for a new saddle for my horse and i have looked through this website SEVERAL times as it gives you a bit of blurb etc.

http://www.longmelfordsaddlery.co.uk/shop/enter.html?target=SaddlesBates_of_Australia.html

i have a keiffer Wien DL and i really like it, very comfy deep seat and well within your price range. However, i don't know what it would be like for changing shapes. i would be happy doing long distances in it.
my RI has a frank baines and it is reallllllllllllllllllllllly comfy :) if my horse was slightly longer in the back it would fit him, it fits both my instructors horses just (one is narrower than the other so the narrow horse has a gel pad to add width) reflocking can do a lot for the shape of the saddle as far as i know.
I am currently trying fusion saddles but am having difficulty getting hold of the woman running it, the saddles look and feel nice (don't know what they're like to sit in though ;)) and are good value, the only problem i'm having is keeping in touch with the woman but being in Scotland REALLY doesn't help!

Thanks for the link Coss, am currently looking through the saddles on there now. My two faves at the mo are the Barefoot Treeless (endurance/dressage) in black, and the Bates Isabel Dressage. Couldn't be more different LOL. I might see if I can get a bargain version of each and have 2 new saddles :D Anyone have experience of either?

Ooh the freeform is definitely a contender, especially in nutmeg mmm :D How much did you pay for yours? Did you have to get it fitted? Does it fit all horses? Do you use english or western stirrups with it?

When I got mine last Dec, I paid £802 for saddle, haf pad, matching stirrup leathers, microchip and delivery. I think because of all the new models and options they are bringing in they are revising the price list (don't think theres one on the goldfinch site at present). It won't fit all horses, no saddle will but my mare certainly isn't the 'flat-backed, no whither' type of horse and she was lacking muscle along her topline. I was using a suber pad underneath (haven't ridden in months due to our problems with laminitis) and it seemed to do the job really well.

I always had my eye on the freeform but before commiting to buying I had one of the agents (list on goldfinch website) come out and fit the saddle and for me to have a try. I fell in love with it and ordered one right away.

I use the english stirrup leathers rather than fenders :)

There's a freeform agent in Worcestershire so might give her a shout as I quite fancy one. All this looking at saddles though has given me too many choices lol. Now I want two, one treeless western and one dressage. The dressage will have to be fitted though won't it, whereas I can prob get the treeless without fitting and cheaper... hmmm, wonder if I can get both with £1,100. I also get to buy a bridle, jodhpurs, boots, new grooming gear and (hopefully) a 2nd hand horse trailer :D It's because my OH has been using all my wages from swanky new job to pay the mortgages on his 2 houses so i've had literally ZILCH grrr. But now he's selling housey no 2 (Just sold no 1) and paying me back :D

i was speaking to my RI today as she needs to get her horse a new saddle (dressage) and someone else lent her a barefoot treeless. i ride very similar to my instructor and have seen her ride a lot, she said it felt like her legs were coming too far back and it put her out of balance. if you want to just sit then its fine but she said trying to do anything (including simple rising trot) was extremely hard, she felt out of balance and kept bashing herself on the front pommel. the person she borrowed the saddle from said "maybe your legs need to come back a bit" but my RI is trying to get her legs to come FORWARD as they are currently possibly back slightly too far. i'm sure its different on different horses but that has really put me off :p

Hmm so def an idea to get that lady out and try one then. You can trial them over a weekend for £45 so might do that. Are all western and treeless saddles like that, or just the freeform?

my RI has ridden in two treeless, the torsion and the barefoot, she said both tipped her forwards and pulled her leg too far back. interestingly, someone else we know looked out of balance as was struggling to achieve canter out hacking in their treeless, i've never known them to have problems before though.
I believe rising trot is hard in a western but i can't be sure.

*sad face* Freeform AND Torsion? Both the saddles I was particularly keen on boo. Hmm, the Bates Isobel dressage is looking like a winner then as it's changeable.

As much as I LOVE my treeless Western, I would suggest you go with one of the treeless Dressage saddles. You will more easily tick all your boxs that way.
As for the western saddles, as long as your stirrups are well placed in a western saddle it's just as easy to post as an english and I can ride dressage quite well in mine although there is a lot more leather under your leg

Get out as many as you can to try on your horse and see what works - it's a big investment :)

*sad face* Freeform AND Torsion? Both the saddles I was particularly keen on boo. Hmm, the Bates Isobel dressage is looking like a winner then as it's changeable.

Coss said her instructor had trouble with the Barefoot and the Torsion - nothing about the Freeform. The stirrup position on the Freeform is 100% adjustable so you can put the stirrups wherever you need them (see picture below!)

freeform2001.jpg

I absolutely adore my Freeform and have no trouble at all with my lower leg stability (and a few more pics lol!)
wheee.jpg

jumpies.jpg

20May07Lesson4.jpg

Argh, but how do you ride 100 miles in a dressage saddle????:rolleyes:

Actually Dressage and Australian Deep seat's are the most popular treed North American Endurance saddles. No one rides in western saddles that I can find over that distance.

It seems recently that the Freefrom has gained the most popularity and has the most supporters - although everyone has a prefference.

By going to www.endurance.net you can read loads of info on different saddles, as well as check out a huge market place of saddles for sale.

i like keifer too as i have one but if your horse is croup high it can ping you out the saddle :( my mare has a slightly dippy back (from age) and has pointy wither to flatten it out. it was my RI's old saddle... bet she wishes she'd kept it now as it would probably fit her new horse :p... she's not having it back :D

Aah thanks showjumper, that'll teach me to read things properly :rolleyes: The reeform looks quite scary in that view from above, like there's nothing much to keep you in place.

Shadowlark, thanks for the link, am pootling through the site now :D

newrider.com