Zebras

Tuscan dream you are confusing 'wild' with 'domesticated'. As pengapenga states horses have been domesticated over thousands of years.

True wild horses (equus ferrus)are classed as a different species to domesticated horses and ponies (equus caballus). There is a lot of diffrence between a 'wild' species and a 'domesticated' species.

Our domesticated horses and ponies were I agree originated from once wild horses but are so far removed that you cannot really now relate them to the wild horses and say that is there rightful place. It would be like saying all our domesticated and pet species are wild (they once were) but would they really survive in the wild now they are so far removed from whence they came.

It is a complex and interesting question and involves questions around, domestication, evolution, tameability and behavior and is far from as as straightforward as it may first appear to be.

I coud go on but I have a few other things to do for the nest few days............

Although Zebras are probably not that easy to train, the other option would be the Zorse :)

Zorses are across between horses and zebras, I think they look really nice. I'd like a zebra cross appaloosa I think, now would that be a zappaloosa or a zebaloosa?

There is a wikipedia page here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zorse

Also some nice photos on this site:
http://www.spotsnstripes.com/PhotoAlbum4Zorses.htm

I love this photo best:
ZorseHeadStudy.jpg

ZipperWebPic.jpg

Last edited:
I rather think this subject could get heated. I am with gypsygold on this subject I could go on and on:eek: The horse has been domesticated and although has not altogether lost the wild instinct it is dormant to an extent. Unfortunately domesticated animals that turn ferral are causing all sorts of problems around the world - I often hear about cullings of brumbies, mustangs, goats and camels the list goes on.

Unfortunately humans are not very responisble with our natural resources:(

On the other side of the coin is 'tame' wildlife that has been set free to reek havoc. The suspected big cats freed in UK for instance. Big cats that are let loose in Africa because humans suddenly realise their 'tame' wildlife is not so tame after all. These poor creatures are only doing what nature intended but now they are hunted. Also the tame wildlife is not afraid of human and unfortunately seeks areas where humans reside.

raingodz I believe the Zorse is more trainable than a zebra, I have seen the odd zorse pulling the scotch cart in Africa:)

(ok I think I shall retire to my corner now:eek: :) )

I had to look at the movement and conformation. No Zebra has such good 'riding' conformation, does it?
I'd agree with cross, I don't think it is actually a zebra. Mind you if its a horse it must of took ages to get the stripes! :D

Re - Photo of dressage zebra -

It is a painted horse.

It is the wrong conformation and way too big to be a zebra. The stripes are painted on, look how streaky they are compared to a real zebra.

Slightly off the rails on my own thread, but.

Went to blackpool zoo in the summer, and saw two zebedee's in a large pen with two ostriches. One of these zeb's decided it was going to chase the ostriches, so it did. Then everything turned round, and the zeb was legging it away from the ostriches, and the ostrich that was chasing it was really booting it as it ran. Then it changed again, and the zebra really booted the ostrich.

It was actually really really funny, and they were clearly enjoying playing, but some of those kicks :eek:

I heard something once about their spine not being suited for riding because it sort of arks outwards and that would probably mean they wouldn't have a good jumping style or any natural ability for it seeing as there isn't much to jump out in the middle of Africa but I really do not know.

I thought it was something to do with their spines too?

just copied this from wikipedia

Attempts have been made to train zebras either for riding or to pull freight draft use. They have better resistance than horses to diseases in Africa. Unfortunately, although their will can easily be broken, they are highly strung. For this reason, zebra-mules or zebroids (crosses between any species of zebra and a horse, pony, donkey or ass) are preferred over pure-bred zebras.

In England, Lord Rothschild frequently used zebras for drawing carriages. In 1907, Rosendo Ribeiro, the first doctor in Nairobi, Kenya, used a riding zebra for doing house-calls. Captain Horace Hayes, in "Points of the Horse" (circa 1899) compared the use of different zebra species.

Hayes saddled and bridled a Mountain Zebra in less than one hour, but was unable to give it a "mouth" during the two days it was in his possession. He noted that the zebra's neck was so stiff and strong that he was unable to bend it in any direction. Although he taught it to do what he wanted in a circus ring, when he took it outdoors he was unable to control it. He found the Burchell's Zebra easy to break in and considered it ideal for domestication as it was also immune to the tsetse fly bite. He considered the quagga well-suited to domestication due to being stronger, more docile and more horse-like than other zebras.

Am I right in saying the ' chariots of fire' have a driving Zebra..aswell as a Cow

When I was a kid I had a horse book which showed a pair of Zebras in Victorian times pulling a carriage in Regents park.​

ahhh she has sheep to!! maybe my imagination is running of with me, involving zebras to.

I dont personally like some of the stuff they do, mainly the jumping of the carriages. ( but thats OT!)

There was a lady in london that had a carriage pulled by 6 zebra's!!!! would have looked stunning i reckon. I'm not personally against it but i think it should be left to people who are very good with horse bahaviour as i would imagine they are a bit sharp! You would need to know when to stop i think.

newrider.com