Zinc's Story

my_horse_zinc

My world? My horse!
Jun 23, 2007
New Zealand
Hi

Thought it was time I shared about Zinc...

I have had him for about 9 weeks now. He was supposed to be dead 3 months ago.

Zinc had been rescued by a really nice lady from my pony club (I graze my horse at the ponyclub). He was in really bad condtion. He had a virus and diarrea that he lost a lot more condition from. The vet had said that if he didnt respond to that last antibiotic, that she would need to get a digger. Zinc managed to pull through. However after about a month, she couldnt keep him any longer (she had another horse) Thats when I bought him

For the past 9 weeks or so, I have been feeding him up and riding him gently. I have also been giving him tons of TLC and he has really responded.

Right from the start, he was as near perfect as any horse can be!! Apart from his first dislike of peoples faces near his, which is now fine!! He lets me hold and cradle his head and he leans in. He is not shovy affectionate to me but a nice sweet affection.
His only real problem was the dislike to pick out his hind feet. He would thrash them about when you tried to pick them out. But today, he let me do the 1st hinf foot without any problem!! And only a little thrashing with the 2nd hind foot!!!

I'm so proud of him!!! He has come such a long way! He has been putting on weight really nicely and is still a bit light in condition, but now I am working on getting him a bit fitter for Pony Club which starts in 2 months time.

Last edited:
PIC TIME!!

BeforeandAfter2.jpg

BeforeandAfter1.jpg

BeforeandAfter3.jpg

Those befores don't really show how bad his ribs were..

TODAY.....

P6140133.jpg

Yummy Grass

P6140125.jpg

P6140123.jpg

Standing all beautiful

P6140121.jpg

Pretty Head

P6140151.jpg

Thats ones cool. The sky looks funny

P6140155.jpg

Another sky one

Last edited:
P6140156.jpg

Muzzle (with a bit of feed clinging to his lip) LOL

P6140164.jpg

Eye

P6140129.jpg

Mum...I'm sick of posing for photos

P6140119.jpg

Can we stop now?

These are some slightly older photos that I didnt get around to sharing...

P1010181.jpg

P1010090.jpg

P1010087.jpg

He is such a good boy to ride!!!

ZincandMe2.jpg

ZincandI2.jpg

CUDDLES!!! Hope you enjoyed!

Last edited:
What a nice story, its great to hear that he pulled through and he's got a new mummy!! Sounds as though you have started making a good bond with him, just keep up with lots of regular feeds and gently exercise.
More pics when he's back in shape will be good! :)

How old is he?

Update!

Well, I have had Zinc for almost 3 months now. He is looking really good!!!!!

Today we went on a hack with my friend and her horse. He was just perfect, as usual.

He's got a nice new polar fleece rug aswell!!

Its been really nice HOT weather, so if its really hot tomorow, I might give him a bath cos he is pretty dusty and dirty coloured tail!!!

Played around on photobucket remixer....

It does go, for some reason it just plays music for a wee bit to start with but it does come.

newrider.com