Zipped Long leather boots!! OUCH!

Millymum

Aug 5, 2005
scotland
I am trying to break in my equitectors by walking up loads of hills when walking the dog (yes i look a right peach walking with long riding boots on :rolleyes: )

I have worn them a few times but just for riding so they had not dropped!! Until yesterday.
They are starting to drop but the zip is rubbing the back of my heel and its blooming painful. One scabby rubbed heel later.

Anyone any tips or ideas of how to help stop it./ease it Or will it get better when they drop further.
They are fine if my foot is in the riding position as it stretches the zip but for walking around they are not so good.
I wont really be wearing them for walking about generaly, just riding, but for breaking them in its soooo painful!!!

I was going to sell them as they are a foot size too big but my foot has swollen due to a pinched nerve/general agony so they fit okay now :D well the left one does!! lol lol lol

I was warned not to use my long zip up riding boots for walking.

I sympathise about the blisters. I suffered the same. But with another pair of brown Hunter riding boots, similar to Hunter wellies in shape and length. I dont use them much for hacking, so I wore them up to London, and walked round an art gallery. I wanted to soften them as you say, and to get some wear out of them. They look brilliant and v. fashionable.

it wasa vcanity and became agony. When I got home my heels were bleeding. I put on elastoplast for a few days(on my ankles not the boots). I dont think anything can be done about rubbing from boots that are lose in the ankle.

If you have a field boot with lace up front at the ankle, that might be all right, I suppose, but the ankle design of dressage or show boots isnt made for walking. You'd need very thick socks and that would spoil the riding boots.

thanks.
im wont be walking in them for much longer (probably wont be able to walk for much longer!!) but it was a last ditch attempt to soften them up a little.

I think i will just leave it and ride in them only. :D
Or try very thick socks as you suggest!! :D

Ohhh, I just remembered, duh! I bought these pads (from the cobbler) they are a felt type cushion you peel the back off them and stick them in the heel of the boot, it stops them from rubbing. I have this problem because one of my feet is smaller by half a size then the other. Hope this helps, I get one packet for £1 from my cobbler. :D

Ohhh, I just remembered, duh! I bought these pads (from the cobbler) they are a felt type cushion you peel the back off them and stick them in the heel of the boot, it stops them from rubbing. I have this problem because one of my feet is smaller by half a size then the other. Hope this helps, I get one packet for £1 from my cobbler. :D

thanks. i will try and get them tomorrow :D

No problem, I was having a thick moment going, I'm sure I had that problem once, but I don't know what I did about it! Walking around all day trying to remember, then it came to me! :p :D

Cait got some long, narrow leather zip up boots for competitions. So it follows she doesnt wear them much: about half a dozen comps so far. And she generally wears them the one lesson before the comp to help soften them. They haven't "dropped" yet, the leather still seems quite stiff, and I don't knows if they will "drop" but they are certainly getting easier, and even tho they have laces up around the ankle area they aren't that good to walk in.

And they do look terrific in a competition...

So perhaps just a few more tries Jenni (hope so..)

I would also recommend wearing plasters (if you're not allergic :rolleyes: ) to protect your skin whilst you "break them in" - by protecting your heels you will feel more inclined to wear them and thus they will loosen quicker. I think dubbin rubbed into them will soften the leather too....

My Polo instructor told me to put my boots on, fill them with water and walk around for 45 minutes and then they'd be fine. Apparently she had done this to her own boots and they came out perfect.. :eek:

I wasn't ready to do that, so I used a leather conditioner, put them on and did some walking and stretching inside my flat. Just bending my legs so that the boot came to extreme positions in every possible way (I hope neighbours weren't watching though :p), and that helped them to drop and they are much more supple now.

Only problem I have about them is that on the left boot there is a stitching on the inside right at the same place where the bone of my ankle is and it rubs, but it is sorted by wearing bit thicker socks and avoding excess walking. And they are getting much better with every ride I take!

Nina x

I am trying to break in my equitectors by walking up loads of hills when walking the dog (yes i look a right peach walking with long riding boots on :rolleyes: )

That's nothing - someone on here the other week said they wore them to work to break them in. :p

not sure if it will work for zipped boots but selo-tape the back of them. So your feet will not rub the back instead they will slide? ;)

put them on, stand in a bath or large bucket of water and soak them. Then dubbin them and they should stay good and soft.

Scholls do a party feet gel heel grip, I wore them with my wedding shoes that I had to get a size bigger as they were being dyed and would shrink but they were still a little bit big and were rubbing on me, you could try those - most supermarkets/chemists do them.

Tape up your feet/heels with zinc tape to prevent blisters - this is what you're meant to do if walking long distances in any boots - army recommended apparently!!

lol thanks everyone

its just the bend in the zip rubbing my heel. i am going to go for the gel pads option as i have a few left over. They will be fine for riding in , but getting from the car to the horse will be a different matter :D :D

newrider.com