100 push-ups saves the day *again*

Tootsie4U

Aug 19, 2002
PA, USA
Visit site
Remember that I was having trouble with Bonfire leaning and pulling on the left rein? It started happening immediately after our first canter so I naturally assumed strained muscles or something. So, much time off, saddle checked, excess stretching and massage, even went bareback for a few weeks.

Well, turns out the trouble was with training, or lack of it AND mom's physical shortcomings. The canter thing was probably not related at all.

You see, Im right handed. Im significantly stronger and more consistent in my right rein than left. Therefore, I give much clearer consistent aids going right. Bonfire yeilds nicely to the right rein. Not the left. Funny how that works, eh? :D

So, I am trying to be much more aware of my left aids. I ask him to yield, if he doesn't- he gets 100-push ups. I ask again, he'll either yield or wont and if he wont 100-push ups again. He's caught on the last two days that yeilding is so much nicer than the 100-push ups. Turning left now is almost like butter! So happy!

YEAH!

Brilliant news:D Its amazing how many schooling issues are rider related.......I put Rupert's reluctance to walk over stones down to his unshod hooves....in fact *hides in shame* it was his rider being too soft and that nasty little pony mind of his decided he could do what he liked:eek: :D ....I have later seen him go over aforementioned stones at a gallop when loose in the field :eek:
The new firmer regime has started now, and funnily enough he is being impeccably behaved:rolleyes: Embarrasing when I am the one always saying you have to be firm with ponies:eek: :D

So true Esther... Speaking of which, was riding Bon yesterday. Went early enough so we had the ring to ourselves. We were working so very nicely on the things stated above and then at the end, someone's mother came into the ring with her little dog. I was busy with Bonfire and didnt notice right away but Bon did. Realizing I didnt have his attention anymore I looked over and saw the dog. Immediately I began to worry that the little mutt would bark and run around and scare Bonfire (who may have never seen a dog before - I dont know) and thats when Bonfire started to get antsy. Up until then, he was happily going along doing as I asked, just watching the dog. I got more nervous, Bonfire got more nervous. If *I* wouldnt have worried about it, Im sure Bonfire would have been fine. Rider fault again. :eek:

i'm a bit confused, how is it a push-up issue if your aids weren't being consistent? is it that you're now being careful of your aids and giving the push ups if you're sure you were asking correctly and he still doesn't do it?

Tee hee, have mental image now of you barking Seargent Major style whilst standing over Bonfire as he gets down, face in the mud, doing 100 press ups!!

Its a metaphor Katie B. We dont really do push ups:D

If the horse is resisting a simple task such as yeilding to the left rein (for whatever reason) you then present him with a choice.

100-push ups or the original task.

In this example, if he insisted on ignoring the left rein, we immediately went and did something more challenging and physcially demanding and very soon he realized that yielding to the left rein was a lot more pleasant than doing the "push ups"

You got it Es. The problems are in the past. Now I've got to focus on asking lightly and if he ignores up to a certain point, he gets the push ups.

I see where you got confused, but Im not punishing him for my own shortcomings.

But, he learned that mom wasn't going to insist that he yeild to that left rein (b'c I lack the strength and coordination) and if he out patient-ed me, he'd be fine. I had to show him that I knew what this little game was and that things are going to be different. The right rein was never a problem b/c I was more physically able to wait and feel for the yield.

Last edited:
i'm a bit confused, how is it a push-up issue if your aids weren't being consistent?

Don't know if this is the situation - but I know I've had and sen situations where the horse "takes advantage" of the person's weakness. Often its an evasion (rather than a conscious decision) and also often its where the horse is weak as well.

For example, ground work with my mother's fell. Coming back into work post laminitis he is weak on one side. If we do ground pole work (ie not ridden), he finds one way easier.

With my mother, on the "bad" side he would basically walk into her or just not go froward. Because of her sore back this is something that is tough to handle. Whereas with me, I basically won't allow him to invade my space, and make it clear that his only choice to to try to do the tough thing (while making it as easy as possible for him to do what I ask, and tough to do anything else). Sure enough he is canny enough to work this out, try it, and in doing the exercise that is tough, it improves his eveness and makes it easier.

He doesn't consciously decide to be bad for my mum - he just sees it as easier than doing what she asks. Similarly Bon has the choice of going correctly round the corner and yielding - but sees it as "easier" not to (because of Tootsie's own weakness on this side). What she does it make it easier to do it right than not to. And in going "right" it should make it easier and easier into the future (because he's developing the right muscles etc), until he actually no longer considers it a choice and just does it.

Originally posted by cvb
Similarly Bon has the choice of going correctly round the corner and yielding - but sees it as "easier" not to (because of Tootsie's own weakness on this side). What she does then is make it easier to do it right than not to. And in going "right" it should make it easier and easier into the future (because he's developing the right muscles etc), until he actually no longer considers it a choice and just does it.

Spot on cvb!

Great Tootsie! I do something very similar with Bud in working through his stiffness on the right. If he is resisting a bend while on the track (or resisting taking up contact with the outside rein), I'll often circling right until he is relaxed, bending correctly, and accepting the aids. Only then do we move back to the track and ask again.

I think of it less as "100 pushups" than a matter of taking things down to a clearer and simpler exercise, but really it's all semantics. By doing this, it ensures that we are both instilling good habits rather than struggling along with something that isn't working.

I sort of did the same thing with a pony that constatnly refused jumps.

I would ask her to jump the jump and if she didn't she would have to canter around for a few laps and then come back to the jump she quikly learned that when she jumped she got a rest and became quite a keep jumper.
But very lazy nearing the end of a course. LOL

Dizzy,

The 100 push-up concept can be used for any exercise. But, in this instance, if Bonfire resisted a left turn aid, we would immediately (at the first sign of resistance) make a circle and work on some basic sidepass and/or haunches maneuvers. After that was accomplished, we'd immediately go back to the left turn aids. If he resisted again, more sidepass and/or turn on the haunches. After, immediately go back to the left turn. If he resists, more sidepass.

Each time we go back to the original task (left turns) I'd ask with moderate pressure (no pulling or tugging) and if he yielded (even ever so slightly, maybe just one inch), I'd release my contact telling him thats what I wanted.

Usually by the fifth attempt, he is able to decipher the choice; either yeild left or he'll have to sidepass. Yielding left is much easier so *he decides* its a good thing to listen to mom.

The fact that HE makes the decision and Im not left to pull and tug is what you ultimately want.

newrider.com