11 yr old boy hacking alone

horseygirl123

Feb 10, 2007
essex/suffolk border
I was just walking to my car after taking kids to see a :p 'magic man' tonight and spotted a young boy riding towards us, we were parked on a narrow road. I stopped him and asked if he had a nice hack (just to start a conversation off) and where he had been, he told me he had been around the lanes and had a canter over a few fields. Apparently he was excercising his nan's pony for her (he has been riding since he was 5)
I couldnt help but be concerned for him as he trotted away down the lane, do you think an 11 yr old hacking out alone is sensible?? (he didnt have any hi-viz wear on either, and it was nearly 6pm)

In my oppion its a bad idea for anyone to go out hacking alone! No matter what you age and level of riding. You never know what might happen and for that reason alone I do not hack by myself. I have seen what can happen from this and have also heard stories of it to. We have a rule at the stable I ride at " No hacking/trail riding alone or after dark" and we stand by it very firmly!

I was hacking alone out from my riding school at 11 and even though I had a couple of problems I was fine.
When I got Phoebe in October 2004, I was 12 and was hacking alone in January. I had to have someone walk with me after a while for a few months as she took me on and we had to change the bit etc. but even if I had been alone I would have been ok with her in her Pelham. In the Summer of 05' I would go for really long hacks alone to places I didn't know - I was 13 by then. I was always fine and loved it - I still really enjoy riding alone! :D
Harleyhorse - to me you are missing out on an experience not to be missed, it's great being out on a horse on a really lovely morning when it's just the two of you :) I do understand about keeping safe etc. but I wouldn't want to give up my solitude!

If he can manage the horse he should be fine, I wouldn't worry about him much!

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on the area and type of horse.
If an 11 year old wanted to take out a strong, hot-headed horse out in the middle of Nowheresville than that would be a problem. But if he's riding a somewhat sensible (somewhat as sensible is relative is when it comes to horses :D) near a town or close to people who, if something happened they would be able to help or get help, than that's fine. Although really riding out in the middle of nowhere alone no matter what has the potential to be dangerous but I think as long as someone knows where you are, where you are going, and around what time you may be back then a solo ride is fine.

Thanks guys for putting my mind at rest, I can sleep a bit better now :)
He was hacking mainly around the lanes, not much traffic and a quiet place to go but the fields are in the middle of no-where, the pony he was riding looked sensible enough and extreemly traffic proof so I'm sure he would have been ok :D

i used to do it when i was 11 it just depends on how experienced you are with horses i know some 11year olds who can handle horses better than sum 30odd year olds
:)

I have always hacked alone - only time I get peace! A lotof 11 year olds are capable of this - and most of them have a mobile phone - wonder if he could text and ride!
The other big advantage of being 11 is you don't worry so much - so he probably had a great time while his nan watched her watch like a hawk!

I know 11 yr olds who have hacked alone and I thought nothing of it at the time! but now I am a mum I'm not sure I would let my kids do it! Too many bad car drivers. I do like the idea though in one way, its kind of innocent, like in the 'Jill' books!!!

I haven't, but one of my friends is quite capable of it. She'll just let her horse walk around while she makes plans for the weekend.:p I just love my phone too much to risk it getting smushed to pieces by a spooked horse. :D :eek:

I've managed to sent a text while cantering on a hack.. :eek: Was just one sentence though and I was riding a very bombproof horse that was taught for neckreining on a long dirt road with no acces to cars.

I don't think I'd let 11 year olds to hack on their own, but I grew up having nutters to ride so I guess I might feel different if I really knew the horse was safe. I do have to admit that I love hacking on my own, but then again, I am not 11 anymore.. ;)

Nina x

Harleyhorse - to me you are missing out on an experience not to be missed, it's great being out on a horse on a really lovely morning when it's just the two of you I do understand about keeping safe etc. but I wouldn't want to give up my solitude!

Hehe I don't think I am. I have hacked out by myself, and had a very bad experince, that involved some large wildlife (ie black bear), he didn't come after us but he was thinking about it. Never in my life will I hack alone, two many bad things can happen. But that is just my oppion, and I respect yours :)

I let my daughter hack out alone now and she is just 12. Fortuneately she can go straight on to bridleways from the yard so no road work at all.
Sure I worry the entire time she is out but she loves it :D

I used to hack out alone at that age- but this was mainly off road. My mother did used to try and follow at first pretending she felt like a long walk but she soon realised she wouldn't be able to keep up!:p

I've got an 11 year old boy (who doesn't ride). He's a very sensible boy and I think it's important for him to be independent and be allowed freedom to experience things.

Although he doesn't ride horses I don't have a problem with him disappearing off for the day on his bike on our local greenway where you can (and he does) ride for hours (traffic free).

So I guess if he could ride, was going somewhere reasonably safe and was on a trustworthy pony (like my Logic :) ) then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

my son will be 13 in july and he hacks out his pony on his own, hi vized up and mobile handy ( only for about 1/2 hour as i can-t cope with him being out any longer than that - i-m a worrier!;) )
it is mostly main road with a few bridle paths in between. tbh i worry more if he is on the lanes and bridle paths as there arn-t many people about if something (god forbid) did go wrong.
i used to hack out with my friend when i was 11 ( often for hours onto a neaby mountain and take a picnic) i can-t ever recall a bad incident really (apart from getting lost) lol!

I hacked alone at that age (and younger). Although not on the roads (only bridlepaths and country lanes).
I'd be worried about the child falling off the horse/ not being seen by a car, but also about an 11 yr old being in the middle of no where, on their own, with strangers passing by.
Can't wrap them in cotton wool can you :p , but safety in numbers.

newrider.com