13.1ish hh = 5'3" ???

naughty_noo_noo

Oct 31, 2006
glasgow
Okay i know the title sounds confusing, but i will explain :)

Im totally fed up being told im TOO BIG for my pony :( That he would be a better childs pony and that i should sell him.

My pony is 13.1 ish hh and im 5'3" so i don't think im that monsterous on him :D

Is there anyone out there my size and my ponies size with piccies so i don't feel like a totally baboon heehee xD

Would love to see photo's

Thanxs x

twiggo.jpg

Twiggy and i taken this morning

Big people on ponies

Hi there, you do not big at all on your pony! I am 5'5 and used to ride my friend's 12hh Exmoor until recently (and I am well over 30), I have some pictures of me jumping on him but have only just joined and cannot work out how to post the photo, I have them saved on my computer. I also used to hack out with my daughter and as I did not have anything to ride where we loaned the pony I used to take out a 10.2 cobby type shetland called Barney, he is such a little weight carrier - but people who drove past used to make comments and take the mickey so I stopped in the end! But I felt great on the Exmoor, I used to ride out on friend's 13.2hh as well who felt huge in comparison, when riding out with daughter I used to borrow a chunky 12.2 sometimes too.

Goodness, you are not too big at all, wherever do some people get their opinions from?
If I manage to get a pic on then you'll see me on my 13.3 section d, I am 5'5 1/2.

Attachments

• 100_2172.jpg
    100_2172.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 62
You both look great.

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Its too easy to be pressured into a wrong decision. Its a different ball game if you wish to competively jump etc. But why can't people just accept for the majority of us ponies are great :D

Mine is 11.2h I am 5'6 9 stone or 61kgs. He still gallops and jumps with me. His idea not mine!!! I only want to walk and trot. lol

He is very extreme and out of about 12 riders in 6 years he has chucked off about 6 when he didnt like them nothing to do with weight.

Keep to the 20% calculation. Mine 280-300kgs, so 60 his optimum carrying weight.

WOW i can't believe the quick response i got!

Thank-you guys ! :D

Everyone looks amazing on their little ones! And Brandy no you do not look big at all - you look Great ;)

I never want to sell my pony, ive had horses in the past but he's my first pony and ive never had sooo much fun until i got him!

Whats the 20% rule? I think he weighs about 350 - 380 kgs?

i am 5"3 and am just looking into buying a 13hh pony :)

you both look amazing by the way !!! ;)

I never want to sell my pony, ive had horses in the past but he's my first pony and ive never had sooo much fun until i got him!

Whats the 20% rule? I think he weighs about 350 - 380 kgs?

20% rule = pony can carry 1/5 of its own weight so going by the lower end of your estimate the pony can carry 70kg (which is 11stone) so most people that post on here! ;)

I have a 12.2 I am 5'4" and 9 1/2 stone, no pics yet sadly as still waiting for a well fitting saddle and would like to get him a bit fitter first as he is a bit of a fatso! My 4 yr old niece is leading on him in the meantime. :p

Last edited:
I think you look lovely and not too big at all. My tilly is 13 3 and I am 5'2" and about 8.5 stone. People DO look at me and I even caught one lady passenger in a car the day say Ahhhhh!!!!!. Glad to know I look cute, I am 45 ****** years old!!
I rode out this morning with husband (he has an 18'0" tri coloured event horse) and a friend of mine rode my warmblood mare out) Whilst they pratted around and couldnt fit under the trees etc etc my pony and I had a fantastic time at the back and even managed to trot under the trees they couldnt.
BRING ON THE PONIES thats what I say.
Have fun, enjoy and IGNORE what other people should ever think
Jo
xx

People DO look at me and I even caught one lady passenger in a car the day say Ahhhhh!!!!!. Glad to know I look cute, I am 45 ****** years old!!

:p Thanks for the laugh! My 18yr old sister almost died of embarasement y'day when we met a young gentleman on the road who she went to school with, but then she was on out 12.2 pony AND was being led while hanging on for dear life :D

i'm going to sound worse then all of you!!

I'm 5ft 2 and my pony is 12.3hh (13hh at a push!) she is normally about 320kg and i weigh normally 10st, 10.5st in the pic...so according to 20% rule she can carry 10st 1lb so i'm sort of ok lol, but she never complains.
Pic from last year as i'm not riding at the mo due to being pregnant hence a lot fatter:eek:

EBAY742.jpg

You look fine on your pony.

Here is Dyfra and I. She is a 12.3 hand Icelandic and I am 5'6" tall.

dyframeeaug07.jpg

im 5ft4 and my poy is 13.1hh :D i wouldnt swop her for the world i enjoy having a little pony i sometimes feel to big but people on here regularly tell me im not so i just enjoy her being small and i think she is much more fun than a horse
:D:D
pics123-1.jpg

I also ride my 12.2hh and he can also easily carry mewhile bucking hehe:eek:

newrider.com