1st time owner

caz

Sep 12, 2023
I haven't ridden for about 30 years and never had my own horse and my husband has surprised me with a 6month old filly picking her up Saturday my question is her stable floor is even and it's concrete is it best to use mats and straw or just deep banked straw

Entirely up to you, but please try to keep her out with others most of the time rather than stabled, it's far better for her physical and mental development.

Entirely up to you, but please try to keep her out with others most of the time rather than stabled, it's far better for her physical and mental development.
Thank you I was only going to keep her in for a couple of days to get her used to the surroundings but I will be spending alot of time up there with her the first couple of weeks just a bit scared of doing something wrong if you know what I mean I'm a bit of a stress head unfortunately

Is she at livery? Does she have company? If on a yard what do the others do for bedding? I have equimats and straw. She would be better in a field to make friends that in a stable even for a few days?

Is she at livery? Does she have company? If on a yard what do the others do for bedding? I have equimats and straw. She would be better in a field to make friends that in a stable even for a few days?
Yes she will be with 4 others in the stable block there are about 20 other horses and ponies in the paddocks they are sectioned off in to different ages there's 2 paddocks with just the owners and their daughters horses are I didn't see any other young foals there when I went Sunday but I'm going up there tomorrow to have a proper look and speak to the daughter so I will have a better idea how it will work thank you

Reactions: carthorse
Good luck with her. If it were me, I think i would have preferred a horse i can ride now not to wait 4 or more years to know what you have. My mare had an unexpected foal and while she is a lovely horse, being over 60, there is no way I would want to ride her as temperamentally and speed and agility wise she is a younger person's horse.

Good luck with her. If it were me, I think i would have preferred a horse i can ride now not to wait 4 or more years to know what you have. My mare had an unexpected foal and while she is a lovely horse, being over 60, there is no way I would want to ride her as temperamentally and speed and agility wise she is a younger person's horse.
I must be honest if I knew my husband was getting me 1 then I would of said 2 get a 5 or 6 year old but he did it as a surprise I lost my mum recently nd she told him 2 get me a horse I didn't knw she had told him this so he did not realising that it would b 3ish years before I could ride her but itbgives me time to bond as I haven't ridden since before I meet my husband 29 years ago

How exciting, and nerve racking!

I'd just start with straw as you haven't got much time to spare, you can always decide to add mats later if it suits you better, youngsters definitely are better off turned out with other horses, they take their lead from the herd and will settle much quicker. Are you going to be on part/full livery or DIY?

A youngster for your first isn't ideal, but how lovely of your mum and hubby to have done this for you. At least you will have lots of time to have lessons on an older horse and to save up for someone to back her for you.

How exciting, and nerve racking!

I'd just start with straw as you haven't got much time to spare, you can always decide to add mats later if it suits you better, youngsters definitely are better off turned out with other horses, they take their lead from the herd and will settle much quicker. Are you going to be on part/full livery or DIY?

A youngster for your first isn't ideal, but how lovely of your mum and hubby to have done this for you. At least you will have lots of time to have lessons on an older horse and to save up for someone to back her for you.
DIY but the owner said that his daughter will help if I need it and his daughter has backed her own horses and others so think in a way I got lucky where she will live

Update on foal I didn't pick her up yesterday as the breeder said he will keep hold of her for 2 weeks so I've got a little bit more time. Everyone meet taylor my daughter picked the name

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230916_144038_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20230916_144038_Messenger.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: Jessey
She looks lovely :) Can you visit and get to know her at the breeders? Moving will be easier for her if you already know each other. How big is she likely to make, and do you have any plans for her or are you going to wait and see?

She looks lovely :) Can you visit and get to know her at the breeders? Moving will be easier for her if you already know each other. How big is she likely to make, and do you have any plans for her or are you going to wait and see?
Thank you Yes I can visit when ever I want the only problem is she's over 2 hours away and I don't drive and hubby works away but he's home every weekend so I'll be going up every Saturday until she's able to come to her forever home I don't have set plans in my head yet so it will be a case of wait and see

Reactions: carthorse
I think wait and see can be best, like us they all have their strengths and weaknesses.

Reactions: caz
newrider.com