2013 plans, how are we all getting on?

bitsnpieces

Aug 22, 2007
As the first half of this year seems to have completely disappeared, it got me thinking about what I had planned for this year and how much of those plans I'd actually got done.

Inca's schooling is getting there & I'm hoping that we'll make it out to a few end of summer tests, then hopefully make it out to a few regular tests over the winter. I really, really need to crack on with taking her out for walks again now though, we've got the weather so I need to keep reminding myself to take advantage of the early mornings!

I've finally got back in the swing of hacking out Puz more regularly and over the moon that we'll have made it out to a few summer shows.

Then there is the small matter of having tonnes of work done in the house and planning a wedding!

My non-horsey aim for this year was to finally shift some weight! Although I've not done quite as well as I could have, the scales are generally going in the right direction!

My plans and new years resolutions for this year were.

Not eat any sweets! And I havent had any since new years eve!! I used to be massively addicted.

Be healthier. I'm eating slightly better but I now cycle 25 miles most days so think I'm much healthier than I used to be! Started the year about 9st and I'm now hoovering around 8.7st

See my horse more! I get to spend a few hours with him every day now since changing job.

Change my job! Well I took a big step in leaving homebase full time and although it hasn't worked out I am glad I am away from there.

Make some friends. Well I haven't really managed this one but I'm talking to a lot more people now and you guys on here have been lovely to me so I'm happy.

So yay having a good year!

Hmmm, well I moved yards at the start of the year with the aim to getting lessons and joining in more with the riding club etc.

I definitely enjoy being at this yard more. It suits me and Rubic much better. We have been to 2 or 3 clear rounds, a dressage competition and a riding club lesson and I've had another lesson at home.

Unfortunately Rubic has had a couple of problems this year. First her physio problems which were sorted quite quickly but now the injury to her coffin joint.

This year hasn't really been my year. I seem to have had a few good things happen but then had some bad stuff piled on top of it. It has been a bit disheartening to say the least.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed she recovers well and we can look forward to a better 2014. I'm not sure how much of this year will be left by the time she is better! Hopefully we can do a bit of work over winter and have her fit again for next year!

This year has been good so far. We are now having fornightly private lessons which have helped hugely. We have done a few dressage tests and got off the yard to our first showjumping comp. We have another show away from home in late August and then some showing shows in the Autumn.

I have taught Ben to lead much better and I no longer have to drag him everywhere. His flatwork is greatly improved and he goes so nicely in an outline most of the time. I am far more confident with him and we have cemented our relationship.

We are working on our hacking and making slow but sure progress. All in all it's good.

I've only got two goals in life now:
- be a good, confident rider
- write a best-selling novel

At the moment, I'm kind of at 0 out of the 2, but that's OK, I've got the rest of my life to achieve them! And to be fair, I had no intention of buying a horse at the beginning of 2013 so I reckon next year's the one to aim for...

I had no plans except to get through the rest of the school year and inspection which now wont be over til oct/nov then plan for the rest of the year lol.

Right now my plans are summer based only as just want to enjoy myself for a while and take the stress off me and hubby we were under.

I've managed one endurance ride this year so far, which was my plan for the pony :happy: Got my next one booked and a Trec event next weekend hopefully, so this year I am making the most of the pony.

Not bad so far really although not riding enough at the moment :)

Tommy has had a go at hunting , done lots of pleasure rides and two competitive endurance rides. The second half of the year I want to focus on more of the same and then lessons, dressage tests over the autumn winter and a bit of teeny jumping.

Frank has done a couple of lessons and his first dressage test and pleasure ride. I want to do more of the same with him and some teeny jumping.

We also need to focus on our solo hacking and I've not decided if either of the boys will try hunting this autumn / winter.

I aimed to compete at the show doing a full on grown up class as opposed to the novice walk and trot. We managed it (albeit coming last but that was the aim aswell lol!)
The rest of the year was to be spent sauntering about the countryside enjoying ourselves. To that end, were on track.

Well my plan was to gradually work up to taking Dolly for a good old gallop across some fields I had found. So far due to the heat and the hard ground I haven't even ridden her for 3 weeks! I am sure she would be ok if I didn't do any really fast work, but unfortunately in this heat my emphysema is the worst it has been, so all riding plans are off until it cools down.

On the home move front that has all gone very pear shaped, sale fell through, we had already committed to let the land go, so I was faced with the prospect of two third of an acre paddocks and two stables at the house...not doable in our usually very wet and muddy climate. So I have sent two of the donkeys off to a sanctuary...and was uncertain and sick with worry (literally unfortunately!:redface:) about Dolly and the other two. Plus we now have the prospect of several years (probably) extremely expensive litigation against the solicitor that handled the purchase of our house 12 years ago, all very stressful and of course leaves us stuck where we are for the foreseeable future.

A very, very good and close friend who owns land alongside us has given me the use of three acres and a barn for the rest of my life, no charge! Stunned and overwhelmed by such generosity, kindness and true friendship that has really got me out of a very deep hole.:frown:

So now my plans are to tidy up the land, sort out the barn for they hay and when it cools down get back to hacking Dolly out and aiming for that gallop very soon.:smile:

I can't remember if I had any plans horse wise for this year, but if I did, they didn't happen:unsure:

At the beginning of the year Mac was just about back in full fitness and working really nicely after his 14 months off with his lameness then at the beginning of Feb he injured his eye and was off work again for 8 weeks, 6 of which he had to be stabled. He started work again at the beginning of April and is doing well. So really my aim so far this year has been to get him back to normal again.

Now I am at the point where I feel I can start making plans and to start with I'm aiming to do a dressage competition on August 18th. It's quite a low key show and only a 15 minute hack down the road from our yard so it will be a good one to start with. Mac last did dressage in May 2011, just before he went lame, but it's 3 years since I did any so I might just do a walk and trot test depending on how we get on in the next few weeks.

I would like to do more hacking particularly on my own, and would like to be able to canter round the fields on the farm as I've not done that for years. I've only ever cantered Mac in the school. The other day I even spoke to my RI about having some jumping lessons, again it's many years since I did any jumping.

The age I am now I'm conscious that there may not be much riding time ahead and I just would like to do these again before I have to give up. Does that sound silly ?

The last time I made plans for Mac and me was after his lameness and then he injured his eye so I hope I'm not putting a jinx on things this time.

I had wanted to do more jumping and school in the field. Whilst its not been a regular thing I've done both and neither hold the fear they once did have for me.

Travelling wise, I've done 3 short journeys with Joy before she decided FU! Now I'm saving for Richard Maxwell to come out after the school hols. My yard mate is adamant she can solve it and I've said if she thinks she can then to go for it and save me £350 + lorry hire costs. I would love it to work but I also think that because I talk myself down she underestimates me.

I can't remember what my plans where:unsure:

I moved fields which was an enormous upheaval. I still have a lot to do, i.e put the stables up, but overall things are going very well.

I am riding more and I am making slow progress with Summer, doing lots of handling but don't think I will back now until next year. She has thrown a splint and the ground is rock hard.

I have completely sorted my house out and re done the garden, which is all looking fine.

I have sorted myself out a degree to pursue, so I am busy with my summer project for that.

I have started my family tree, which is something I have been stalling on for many a year. I have gone back to 1651 but I need to start doing some foot work and spending money to get any further, so that's going to have to go on the back burner.

I just need a job now atm. Not much going on round here so I am in the process of setting up my own cleaning company. Don't really need the hassle, but I do need the money lol.

So overall, a good year so far:smile:

Back at the beginning of the year, I was saving hard for a 4x4 and a trailer so that I could get out and about with Joey. In the end, life threw me a curve ball in the shape of two gorgeous "boomerang" ponies and a great friend who I can ride out with. The trailer can wait, I'm having a ball this summer :smile:

newrider.com