2014 - My Shetland

Poor little blighters, and well done for fetching them out of it. Hope they make it, but if not at least they will be fed, dry warm and cared for. All power to your elbow.

The contrast between these poor neglected things and your own lovely, round, curious and bouncy foals at the same age is so stark. Well done Francis and Wally, hopefully there will be a happy ending for these three. Assuming all goes well, what are the long term plans if any?

I am so glad that you guys stepped in. Poor things - I have every faith they will recover with you. I think what you have done is excellent (or as we would say locally "a well good thing")

I phoned the police station this morning to confess to stealing 16 ponies! :D WE still don't have them officially signed over to the SSPCA or anyone else. Technically we have taken them and if the owner changes her mind and screams THEFT, we have no paperwork.

Anyway the policeman was good and made a note that the vet was assessing them and the SSPCA had asked us to remove them.

The owner of the little grey pony phoned me this morning and said she would take him back, but she lived in Foula and the weather has been so bad the boat has been erratic and he'll be in no state to travel for a long time. She's bought bags of food from the feed merchant for us to pick up tomorrow. He can stay here for as long as he needs to.

Their coats are matted to the skin and not working as they should. Re fluffing them up will go a long way to insulating them again and getting the rain to run off. Getting them fluffy again makes them look better, then you lay a hand on them and all you feel is bones..I wish I could properly convey to you JUST HOW THIN THEY ARE. The fur hides it. They are walking skeletons. :( You have no idea how angry it makes me.

Their coats are matted to the skin and not working as they should. Re fluffing them up will go a long way to insulating them again and getting the rain to run off. Getting them fluffy again makes them look better, then you lay a hand on them and all you feel is bones..I wish I could properly convey to you JUST HOW THIN THEY ARE. The fur hides it. They are walking skeletons. :( You have no idea how angry it makes me.

I can imagine how angry you are - poor little mites - the ammount of coat these ponies carry can cover a multitide of sins - ours look like mammoths but if ou get right under the coat then you can see how decptive that can be - I got fed up of my neighbour saying the Fat one when talking abouTess - Iinvited him to come and run his hands under the winter coat and he was amazed - hes never mentioned it again - we check regularly under the coats for condition especially Feb/March when food is sparse and the weather colder - they are lucky you and others are now looking out for them as you say they would not have lasted much longer left to their own devices up where you are - we have mild in comparison....have you managed to sort out the ownership issue yet?

Nope, not on paper anyway. Most folk who used to own them are taking them home, I think only two are not going back into the care of their original owners out of the 16 we removed, so, fair play to the previous owners. It's sad but two of them just don't have the space for them. Frances has offered to keep one, and another home is being sought fr the other one.

A friend came to see them, who works in mental health and is slightly concerned that once the person who neglects them comes out of the depression and back into mania we will be accused of taking advantage of them when they were in crisis. The SSPCA asked us to remove them, I would have thought they would have done things correctly and got them signed over officially. We still have no official bit of paper .

Ah - lets hope the SSPCA get their act together - queer thing the law!

if you hadn't been so far away I would have given the remaining 1 a home but sadly we are not near enough - I am sure you will find one soon.......

newrider.com