2018 Hacking/Riding challenge........ Add your photos and join in open to anyone.

Yay I finally get to join you all....I got my first ride of the year in....... we stayed in the poo picked grass school mainly in walk with a couple of tiny trots down the long side...... some serpentines, rein back and whoa.....lots of changes of direction..... she was so forward bless her but the ground wasn't ideal....I did lots of long and low on the buckle ends. Tomorrow I will ride her round my paddock paradise tracks but yay my first ride of 2018. I didn't get any pics as I left my phone in the caravan :(

30 mins schooling. :) Melody

Last edited:
I also got my first ride of the year in today...It was interesting to say the least :eek::rolleyes:
I decided to take him up the road as it's only a short distance as he can be very difficult to get out the gate the first few times after not being out for a hack in a while. He just hesitated and backed up a tiny bit but I just gave him a squeeze and told him to walk on and he did. It was -5 degrees this morning but the road surface surprisingly wasn't too bad, my field was a lot worse as the rutts where frozen solid. We went up the road in a nice brisk walk and has a little trot and all was well, he then spotted a black bin bag full of rubbish that someone had kindly dumped in my hedges :mad: he had a spook at that :rolleyes: we went up and down the road a couple of times all was well but on our way down the road towards home he bloomin well took off, head and tail in the air , snorting like a dragon. the road was slippy in one place and he was going towards it I had to do a one rein stop which just made him go sideways , he was so strong, then I pulled him the other way and he went up the grass verge into bushes, I got him stopped and turned him around to face away from home, two joggers had been coming up behind us that I hadn't heard or seen and that is what had sent him off...so unlike him, he has been a lot more spooky since he started the prascend tablets.
The joggers where a bit gob smacked and asked if I was ok, I laughed and said " yes I'm fine, he hasn't been out in a while and he was spooked at you both coming up behind us, but not your fault." Marley had steam coming out of his nostrils and was still snorting :rolleyes: I had also lost a stirrup, just so glad to have stayed on as I had visions of hitting the road.. I then rode him in the small front part of my field, all in walk doing circles , serpentines ,figure eights and some backing up etc to get him calmed down.

30 mins hack/schooling/racing! lol

Last edited:
I also got my first ride of the in today...It was interesting to say the least :eek::rolleyes:
I decided to take him up the road as it's only a short distance as he can be very difficult to get out the gate the first few times after not being out for a hack in a while. He just hesitated and backed up a tiny bit but I just gave him a squeeze and told him to walk on and he did. It was -5 degrees this morning but the road surface surprisingly wasn't too bad, my field was a lot worse as the rutts where frozen solid. We went up the road in a nice brisk walk and has a little trot and all was well, he then spotted a black bin bag full of rubbish that someone had kindly dumped in my hedges :mad: he had a spook at that :rolleyes: we went up and down the road a couple of times all was well but on our way down the road towards home he bloomin well took off, head and tail in the air , snorting like a dragon. the road was slippy in one place and he was going towards it I had to do a one rein stop which just made him go sideways , he was so strong, then I pulled him the other way and he went up the grass verge into bushes, I got him stopped and turned him around to face away from home, two joggers had been coming up behind us that I hadn't heard or seen and that is what had sent him off...so unlike him, he has been a lot more spooky since he started the prascend tablets.
The joggers where a bit gob smacked and asked if I was ok, I laughed and said " yes I'm fine, he hasn't been out in a while and he was spooked at you both coming up behind us, but not your fault." Marley had steam coming out of his nostrils and was still snorting :rolleyes: I had also lost a stirrup, just so glad to have stayed on as I had visions of hitting the road.. I then rode him in the small front part of my field that all in walk doing circles , serpentines ,figure eights and some backing up etc to get him calmed down.

30 mins hack/schooling/racing! lol

Blimey! That was interesting:eek::cool:

Just a very cold 1.5 miles today as I'd been on girlfriend duty most of the day, so didn't want to risk going any further & running out of daylight!

gGwkk5g.jpg

2018 totals:

Hacking: 13.5 miles
Schooling: 45 minutes
Groundwork: 1 hour

First hack of the year and what a lovely one it was too :) the downs were busy, some sort of walking race with spectators and dogs everywhere, so myself and another rider went elsewhere. It was a new route for me along some relatively narrow, but mud free, bridleways. We encountered a dog at quite a narrow part, my friend's horse refused to go past and I had a moment of a panic thinking he was going to turn and run through us but luckily this lady produced some carrots for us to have! :p everything was fine after that.

Got some trots in on a quiet private road, and in the woods at the end. The plan was to loop round and go back the way we came but we realised we'd been out longer than we thought and we're in danger of running out of light so we had to take a short cut back home.

The wind was pretty fierce out in the open as we are quite high up, but overall it was a really pleasant ride, and a nice start to 2018's riding.

Had a little canter in the school when we got back, am going too school next week instead of hacking as I haven't schooled properly for a while.

Total = 6.85km in 1hr30.

I love this post, something to do on a Monday morning when I am pretending to work. :) Glad people had some nice rides over the weekend!

I went out again on Sunday, was COLD! Some idiots decided to try and liven it up for us by covering the muddy bridle way with about 30 pallets all in a row. Good job I had a lot of clothes on or would have got torn to bits by the brambles and trees we had to negotiate to get around the outside of them on what is basically a single track path. Shall be calling the council to get that sorted out!

Walking again, so 5.2 miles in 1.5 hours.

Total:
Time in saddle not hacking: 2hrs 45 mins.
Hacking : 7.5 miles, 2 hrs 10 mins

Rode today, thought id check out the hacking track first oart was ok but as i got to the last bridle way gate i could iceeeeee. The water has frozen on the top of the track so we didnt go any further but 1.16 miles in total!

the down side - absolutely freezing! I forgot my gloves! Hate my none elasticated gurth its so hard to get it done up!!!! To get out on to the hills i have to go through the shared 15 acre field to two gates which open together! So had to hold my horse whose scared of the other horses, luckily he didnt freak out to much just some heavy breathing! Undo the combination lock whilst looking back to make sure the mare inthe shared field wasnt launching an attack, open the gates and get through with my horse while making sure thea Re didnt bolt out behind us and make sure the two mares inthe next field didnt bolt out! Then keep hold of my horse and hold two huge metal farm gates together while i got the chain and combination lock back on! Myhands was so cold they wasnt working properly!!! So a short ride then my cob was pretty good untill i had to open the first bridle way gate as i leant forward he put his head down and over i went! Was pretty funny but annoying at the same time and these gates annoys me! They are on a spring so if u ooen side ways by the time u have turned your horse to go thorugh its slammed in his face! So u have to face fwd lean over the horse, open with the big stick leaver thing and walk through and then it slams with a crash behind u, luckily cob isnt phased by this.... Did I mention it was cold? Haha

up side... Finally managed to get out even if it was brief, he was a good lad and im surprised he kept so cool at the gate with the other horses showing there anger at his presence! Managed to have a canter up a dry not slippy hill, that was enough for him he was done lol he was happy he got to neigh at the sheep.

plans for next time... Dont go on such a cold day!!!! Wear gloves!!!! Dont fall over horses head when opening the gate

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    548.2 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    592.7 KB · Views: 4
No ice this morning..yay (a muffled yay) still very cold, It was also very grey, not a hint of sunshine but I managed 30 mins in the field. He is still spooking at every corner etc but hopefully the more he gets ridden he will stop this sillyness:rolleyes::)

Total 60 mins

Pete's mum

Up til yesterday we have had below zero real temps some record lows any
That's Fahrenheit not centigrade
Sat was a high of 6f

Wind chills were - 30 at times

Thank God we are out of it now
Suppodidly we will moderate for at least the next 16 days or so

Sonny unmounted 2.25 hr

I did finally get a play today ;).
It was high 20's and felt sooooooooooooo good.

I did not try to get up to the rd pen I went to
Virginias ring since it was not full of drifts.
It was pristine so its fun to see traveling circles:rolleyes:
I also played in an open area across from her ring.

After play I did make a snowblow path to my round pen and one on the outside edge of my ring and thru the center..
IMG_5309.JPG
her stream looked pretty

IMG_5325.JPG

the open sheltered area
IMG_5336.JPG

IMG_5350.JPG
her ring
IMG_5365.JPG

IMG_5378.JPG

My paths I made here after
IMG_5387.JPG

IMG_5392.JPG
its gonna be a while before the cavaletti on this side are
usable

IMG_5396.JPG
But woo hoo the strong winds blue quite a bit of snow
away from my play area in the front side of the house
play area;):)

Roll on spring IM WATING!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reactions: GaryB and Trewsers
Sonny unmounted 2.25 hr

I did finally get a play today ;).
It was high 20's and felt sooooooooooooo good.

I did not try to get up to the rd pen I went to
Virginias ring since it was not full of drifts.
It was pristine so its fun to see traveling circles:rolleyes:
I also played in an open area across from her ring.

After play I did make a snowblow path to my round pen and one on the outside edge of my ring and thru the center..
View attachment 90918
her stream looked pretty

View attachment 90919

the open sheltered area
View attachment 90920

View attachment 90921
her ring
View attachment 90922

View attachment 90923

My paths I made here after
View attachment 90924

View attachment 90925