2018 Hacking/Riding challenge........ Add your photos and join in open to anyone.

Native Lover

Native Pony Fan
Jul 13, 2009
Lincolnshire,wheres the hills?
stores.shop.ebay.co.uk
This is the 4th year and I hope you will join in as you have in other years :) I didn't do much last year but want to join in more this coming year. I hope to see some of the regular posters as well as some of our newer members........ come join in and maybe get a surprise at the end of the year :)

Last edited:
I haven't taken part in one of these yet... what do we do?

Joosie its about encouraging people to ride more or school more or even play inhand with there horses more.....so pick a horse or two and record your time with them photos of hacks etc you can record in hours and mins as I do in my siggie or in miles if you are super dedicated then reocrdin both..... but whatever you do its not a competition with anyone but yourself... to try get people riding more even on days they may not want to ride......because of confidence or weather etc.

Welcome aboard :D

Hacking miles: 6

Quite possibly the wettest 6 miles I've ever ridden ...!

Here's an unmounted picture (I lead on the road, currently) just before we headed on the road home :)

ZS3uvuK.jpg

Last edited:
F85BDA06-1005-4E6B-8CAA-E14C8B9F6530.jpeg 74903CF0-973D-4C43-AC92-0709C0346267.jpeg Lovely NYD hack with 2 friends, 8.5 miles, 2.5 hrs, mostly quiet lanes, bit of bridleway. My friend’s Appaloosa is huge so we have to keep trotting to keep up! No major spooks though :)

Last edited:
I think you can do what you want MrC - its only a bit of fun!

I record miles and time hacking, and time schooling (in one lump for anything I ride) because that's what I find interesting. I think Horseandgoatmum records similar figures but per horse :)

Ok I will join in then! Since I'm no longer working with horses and mine will be in France for the foreseeable I think this year it's mostly going to be a case of beg borrow or steal rides any way I can! I rode more than 60 horses during my 16 months in New Zealand, so I don't think I'm going to top that this year...

Saying that - I did manage to bag myself a ride on January 1st :p My best friend's mum lives nearby and keeps her two ponies at home - one of which is Pebbles, an 11.3 welshie who is her grandson's lead-rein pony but is now learning to be ridden properly and despite being 10 years old started late and hasn't done much apart from hacking. She hired a local indoor arena for a couple of hours on New Year's Day and asked me along to have a ride on Pebbles. She was quite forward-going and has a big step so really didn't feel that small even though I know I look a bit silly :p

FB_IMG_1514830817878.jpg

So I guess that kick-starts my contribution to the 2018 challenge!

2018 stats
Rides: 1
Horse #: 1
Activity: schooling
Time: 30 mins

I loved reading the 2017 thread, so I will try and join in for this year, will hopefully remind me to turn on my app when I am out hacking as I honestly have no idea how much distance we cover.

However working full time and dark nights means confined to the yard in the week, so no hacking except weekends (though I am lucky to have a huge field to ride in to have a change of scenery from the school in the dark).

But NYD we had most of the yard up playing with a few jumps - Cow was quite keen! :)

26113876_10155737207922254_5749011677658457640_n.jpg

Had a good schooling session tonight too, missed the rain for the 1st time in days!

Time in saddle not hacking: 2 hours

Sonny unmounted .75 hr

Woo hoo first play of the year.;)
Its pretty sad when 17f with no wind does not feel too bad sigh.:rolleyes::confused::p

The earlier wind died down so I went for it but planned it to be
LOW KEY but Sonny had other ideas:eek:..

I brought him over here and played on the snow cavaletti
and tire and in the yard in general.

He did get a little silly jumping and rearing but overall
did very well on the cavaletti and tire.

OMG when we got up to the big round pen thank god the
2 more snow falls in there made the footing decent again.

I had planned to just do a little low key freelonge walking but I guess he REALLY NEEDED TO BLOW IT OUT
We no sooner got in there and took off like a shot showing
that Quarter horse speed!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I let it go for a bit there was no slowing it down and a few times I thought he was going to come around to behaving well
whats the stupid saying over here "NO WAY JOSE"

He was flying so fast I was a bit ok a LOT worried.
He did slip out and go on his rump at one point but jumped up
kicking out WHO PULLED THE RUG OUT!!

I finally got outside the rd pen and waited him out.

Thankfully he did not get all sweaty. I left him out there an hour to wander around and make sure he was cool before he went back over.

He looked pretty but gosh it makes me nervous when he gallops like that.
Thankfully that is a very large round pen so he can get a good blow it out in there.

I do hope this weather breaks soon.
The news just said this is the coldest holiday stretch since 1918:eek:
UGH now thurs we are 6-12 inches snow this is the big time IMG_4795.JPG IMG_4822.JPG pitts.
IMG_4813.JPG

newrider.com