2018 Running Club

haven't been on for a while as been just putting one foot in front of the other with a horrible gastric bug.

i did run balmoral 5k today though in 26.45, so chuffed to have improved my time on last year :D

I am in disbelief...I just went and ran the whole way around the racecourse and about another quarter of it without stopping. I ran a whole 25 mins with no walk breaks...this is the girl(woman:oops:) who found it hard to run 90 seconds when i first started the couch 2 5k training.I ran 2.98miles I know its not the quickest but I am so chuffed with myself. :D

Thanks for the support @CharliesAngel and @domane yes it really does work..which has really surprised me :D

I managed another 25 mins today, I got soaked as it really started to pour down and the wind and rain was beating against my face taking the breath from me, so it was hard going until I went around a bend then at least it was blowing at me from the side instead of face on :rolleyes::D

Reactions: CharliesAngel
good for you! it really amazed me when i did it, really thought id never ever be a runner!

Ive not run for a couple of days as i have some odd swellings on my shins - i thought perhaps shinsplints but they arent sore when i walk or run, but they are sore to touch :(

Oh no! I hope the swelling goes down soon. Strange that they aren't sore when you run or walk. Maybe someone else on here might know what they are :confused:
The only thing that I have that is a bit tender is my good hip?? I thought my knees and my bad hip would give me bother but they don't , just my good hip..i am probably over compensating on it.

I’m still taking it easy - I have runners knee. It’s fine when I run (ironically), but if I crouch down and get up again it hurts. I did three gentle runs last week, couple of miles each, and the pain which had subsided, got way worse (I’d had three weeks off so felt it was ok to have a little go). So also had the weekend off and ran again tonight so we shall see how it holds up tomorrow. I’m gutted, I was really enjoying it, helps with my general gloomy outlook on life, my fitness and migraines.
I won’t give this up easily, just need to try and strengthen my leg muscles to help.
Oh mrs that sounds a pain, hope it's soon on the mend :)

I am in disbelief...I just went and ran the whole way around the racecourse and about another quarter of it without stopping. I ran a whole 25 mins with no walk breaks...this is the girl(woman:oops:) who found it hard to run 90 seconds when i first started the couch 2 5k training.I ran 2.98miles I know its not the quickest but I am so chuffed with myself. :D

Well done! I was the same when I first started C25K could never imagine I could run for 30 mins, not in my wildest dreams. Feels good doesn't it. :)

Reactions: joellie
good for you! it really amazed me when i did it, really thought id never ever be a runner!

Ive not run for a couple of days as i have some odd swellings on my shins - i thought perhaps shinsplints but they arent sore when i walk or run, but they are sore to touch :(

Hope it settles soon for you, have you banged them maybe?

Well I am still banned from running or doing anything to raise my HR..... it is miserable as I've always been fit, my whole life I've worked hard to stay fit and for the last four months Ive just turned into a flabby, miserable mess.
Anyway whinge over, I am enjoying reading all your superb running efforts, Im running with you in my head at least :)

Yay - I can finally join the club! :cool: I splashed out on some good running shoes yesterday and a couple of outfits so no excuse to keep putting it off! Went for my first run tonight after work and it was actually really nice to be back out there, I've missed it. I'm not too unfit in general but I haven't been running properly since 2006 so will need to build up slowly & I think starting with some interval training is the way to go. So tonight I did 40mins total but just slow jogging interspersed with 3min periods of brisk walk. There are miles and miles of footpaths and bridleways around here perfect for running so I'll be able to avoid too much roadwork, which I'm sure my dodgy hip and pelvis will thank me for!

I'm still keeping at it, I'm on week 9 of my couch25k training now. The thing is I don't believe i run that slowly, slow but not slow slow if you know what I mean :rolleyes::oops:
I ran 30 mins non stop on sunday and did 2.86 miles my splits were 1st mile 10.52, 2nd mile 11.38 the 3rd was 0.86 mile in 10.45 ( i have short legs :p)

This is my final week and i am not quite reaching the 5k in the time frame..i think 3 miles is 5k and I am running the race for life this sunday which is 5k, I really hope i don't piff out towards the end, I know i can walk if needed but I am really hoping not to.
I think my next run this week i wont stop when the app tells me to but keep on pushing until I have done the complete 3 miles, what do you more established runners think? On the other hand I don't want to maybe push myself too much just before sunday and maybe do an injury, but I think i would only need to run another 3 or 4 minutes to get to the 3miles/5k :)

Its not about speed or distance really, the way I see it is, you are out there running, beats sitting at home watching tv!

Don't over do it. The app training is designed for a reason. If it were me I'd do as the app says as your race is on Sunday. Your not that far off. I'd push myself on Sunday and run the first 25 minutes at your normal pace and then when your on your last 5 minutes just up your speed a bit more. Usually the week before a big race you actually do less training that week so your muscles are recovered ready for the big day.

well done to all of you runners!

I managed to do what i thought not possible and ran 10k for the very first time..... then I completed 2 10k races a week apart and also ran 10k midweek with friends. The result? I upped my milage too fast and Im totally broken and cant run at all :( My i.t band in my left leg is buggered and my right knee is playing up. I should have known better but if you’re anything like me, go canny ;)

How everyone doing.

I joined the local running group a couple of weeks ago. Hoping running with a few others might keep me going longer. They were doing a beginner's session so I went along. I managed 2½ miles that night. There was a few one minute walk breaks but that is permitted. Last week I decided not to go as I had lost my voice that day to a cold. Been fitting it off all week and I wasn't sure I should go tonight as I'm still coughing. But I figured it might help clear my lungs out. Anyway I managed 3.1 miles tonight, so a 5k. Again a few small walk breaks but I'm really pleased. I actually felt I could do more. Just hope I don't hurt too much tomorrow.

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter
I go by the rule, if it’s above the neck, get on with it, if it’s below the neck, work out how bad it is and then decide if you’re running!
Glad it’s going well for you mrs, I think we surprise ourselves sometimes with how well we can manage.
I’m doing ok, not been really pushing myself lately, just going out for lots of nice easy maintenance runs but this week I had a bit of a stress with work stuff and went for a four miler in the dark across fields and forest tracks with head torch and I ran faster than ever and get amazing at the end of it with the exception of my knee being a little niggly. I’m now giving it a couple of days off but I’m not worried about it.
Finding running really easy lately with having lost a couple of stone.

newrider.com