2018 Running Club

CharliesAngel

Jan 15, 2010
Come on in!!! Let’s all encourage one another no matter how big or small our achievements :D

Is anyone doing couch to 5k this year? I did it last year and it really gave me a good start.

So far this week I’ve run 2 x 5k, the first time was with my new running group and then I ran 5k with one of the dogs yesterday. I find running on my own so boring though and it’s a real mental struggle sometimes.

Get running everyone :D

Reactions: Cortrasna
Used to love running, but it’s not good for your knees. Mine are absolutely shot at now. Only way I can run is with them strapped up. I’ll stick to walking too.

I'm another walker, knees aren't the best these days..plus I never was the best at running , I can walk for miles but couldn't run to the end of the road lol

I'll join in when Im given the ok. Can't wait to get back at it, I don't have any goals other than to get back running again. I am a solo runner although Mr KR rides along side me on his push bike a lot of the time, but I actually enjoy my solo runs, just stick my headphones in, put on some rice rhythmic music and away I go. :)
Go girls, whether running or walking, the way I look at it is at least we are outside enjoying some fresh air.

Reactions: CharliesAngel
Come on in!!! Let’s all encourage one another no matter how big or small our achievements :D

Is anyone doing couch to 5k this year? I did it last year and it really gave me a good start.

So far this week I’ve run 2 x 5k, the first time was with my new running group and then I ran 5k with one of the dogs yesterday. I find running on my own so boring though and it’s a real mental struggle sometimes.

Get running everyone :D

I think I might have to start again with C25K as its been over three months since I did any real running, I can honestly say from someone with a lifelong lack of running skills (couldn't even run for a bus at school) it was the best thing to get me into running and I never in a million years thought I would be able to do it.

Reactions: CharliesAngel
I'm still paying the price for Wednesday's run. Ouch. My legs still ache badly. I will get back into it in February. Not to long.

I’m in. Have only been out once this week - a slow mile uphill, followed by about three hours worth of coughing, so decided to give my body a couple of days off as it was bloody irritating afterwards.
This afternoon I plan on doing a couple of miles, nothing startling, but we have snow and I intend on going for a trail run, so will be interesting (although I have those grip things for my feet so no worries!)
I love listening to Greg James on radio one, so I download his show (especially like the rage against answermachine bit) and I run to that, often chuckling away to myself as I go. I am about to have a bit of a challenge though as my phone needs sent away for battery repair so will be musicless for a couple of weeks. I will persevere though!

Reactions: Kite_Rider
We have a park run quite local but as the runs are on a Saturday unless I take time off work I can’t attend. If im honest while I’d love to do one I actually prefer to run solo.
I am not a big lover of crowds although I imagine the atmosphere is great at park run.

Reactions: Flipo's Mum
I think the knees and running on hard ground is similar to the concussion a horse might get?
You can help yourself though by buying running shoes suited to the surface and strap up anyway?

How does skipping slot in here with fitness? I could do that whilst watching TV- if I don't swipe the light fixtures.

Reactions: orbvalley
I hear a lot about knees but I have good supportive shoes, listen to my body when there is any pain it’s a signal to be careful. Pain above the neck is ok, anything below, I will gauge it on a scale of 1-10. Anything above a five I’ll be cutting it short and going home or not running at all. Anything below that is generally something to do with that horrible word.....chaffing!
Where I appreciate some folk are not suited to it, I hate being told ‘oh you shouldn’t run because of your knees.’ The amount of running I do would not do that damage I don’t think. They say anything up to a half marathon is good for you health wise. Anything over that is down hill. So we shouldn’t be running marathons all the time but I don’t know many folk who do!

I hear a lot about knees but I have good supportive shoes, listen to my body when there is any pain it’s a signal to be careful. Pain above the neck is ok, anything below, I will gauge it on a scale of 1-10. Anything above a five I’ll be cutting it short and going home or not running at all. Anything below that is generally something to do with that horrible word.....chaffing!
Where I appreciate some folk are not suited to it, I hate being told ‘oh you shouldn’t run because of your knees.’ The amount of running I do would not do that damage I don’t think. They say anything up to a half marathon is good for you health wise. Anything over that is down hill. So we shouldn’t be running marathons all the time but I don’t know many folk who do!
I have arthritis in both knees and my lower spine, I have never had a problem running, however I have good running shoes and apparently I very good gait, my husband on the other hand doesn’t have arthritis but can’t run for more than a minute because it hurts his knees too much, horses for courses I think, while we all absorb impact through our knees some of us suffer and some of us don’t, I do absolutely have to wear a really good sports bra though, my boobs just hurt too much if I don’t keep them contained! It’s not as though they are big boobs either it’s just at my age they bounce about too much.
@newforest skipping is great excersise just watch your light fittings!

I have arthritis in both knees and my lower spine, I have never had a problem running, however I have good running shoes and apparently I very good gait, my husband on the other hand doesn’t have arthritis but can’t run for more than a minute because it hurts his knees too much, horses for courses I think, while we all absorb impact through our knees some of us suffer and some of us don’t, I do absolutely have to wear a really good sports bra though, my boobs just hurt too much if I don’t keep them contained! It’s not as though they are big boobs either it’s just at my age they bounce about too much.
@newforest skipping is great excersise just watch your light fittings!
I agree KR. Definitely horses for courses.
On the bra front, I'm sadly well endowed. I wear two bras and then have also invested in a booband as well which limits the bounce even more. Its a bit of an effort I know, but the one advantage is that I end up with a wee pocket inbetween the two bra layers. Phone on one side, car key on the other and no need for carrying anything else! Although I do have one of those flipbelts which are good, however I'm a tad fat for it at the moment sadly!
Managed my run this afternoon though - I went down to my field to potter about and then went and got changed in the barn. Didn't realise its minus four here, so very chilly to have bare legs, but turned out to be a very refreshing experience in the snow, two miles done and im now back on the couch trying to get warm......only to have to go back out to feed horses in an hour or so!

Good for you FliposMum! :D

I have a parkrun near me on a sat morn at 10am - pathetic though it sounds though, it’s too early for me. If I was to go to that Id have to be up an hour earlier and Saturday is the one day of the week I get a little lie in and my sleep is so important to me staying well :)

i do struggle with morning s generally as well. Ive all the horses to see to and especially at this time of year it takes ages.. Ive to go round the whole croft breaking ice off troughs and checking sheep etc as well. Ive previously really suffered with catching nasty chest infections and similar viral things so I try really hard to listen to my body and one of the things that runs me down is not enough sleep. My Sat morning lie in when hubby is ‘on shift’ with MiniCA is precious time :D

On the bra front I used to work somewhere very female orientated where they used to keep teaspoons down their bra's for eating yoghurt's after lunch :eek::eek::eek:

newrider.com