2019 Hacking/Riding Thread

We now have at least four confirmed outbreaks of equine flu in our area. Vet advice seems to be carry on as normal but be careful. I've cancelled all my trips out in the horsebox, but on Saturday I did have a short hack out with the YO. Our horses have both been recently vaccinated.

On Sunday I spotted a fun grid set up in the school so decided to have a play. My YO said she would come and watch so I got a bit of tuition too (she is a level 3 SJ coach). Harvey was as enthusiastic as even and in fact at one point got a bit overexcited and very nearly bucked me off. I was concentrating on sorting out my canter balance and approach to the fences but I wanted to jump a reasonable height too. My helpers "accidentally" put one of the fences up to 100cm so it ended up being the highest I have jumped Harvey (who took it all in his stride!)

Harvey OTT as usual!
i-gnQRGSS-XL.jpg

This was the exercise (before the fences went up) - a bounce in the middle and a fence down each long side ridden a figure of 8(ish)
i-B3GMnW5-X2.jpg

Plenty of support :)
i-pFbtN4S-XL.jpg

Jumping 100cm :) (It looks very small on the photo , but those jump stands are quite tall!)
i-VbBsKB7-XL.jpg

Hacking
4.4 miles
1 hour 20

Schooling
35 minutes

Totals

Schooling
5 hours 50

Hacking
31.2 miles
8 hours 30 minutes
Looks plenty big to me! I never got past 2'6!

Quick pootle yesterday, the weather and work have been against us both getting on Zi. He was so good, no spooking at sparrows or cats !!! Mr T rode first then I hopped on. Getting off I slithered again - T caught me, I've got to be careful because of my poor feet (plantar whotsito_O). It was nice to just sit quietly on him and stare out to sea:)

Sonny unmounted 10.75 hrs
Mounted 3.75 hrs

Good long play online in the front yard yesterday late afternoon.
The footing was not bad under the snow and the ground was nice and firm.

He was very good overall he got a little silly a couple times and did a bit of jumpy bolt when a
total moron flew past on the road reving an insanely loud pickup he did slip and fall on his butt.
He was fine and I really cant fault him the GD truck even made me jump.
The snow was a bit what we call "GREASY" a term we use here.
I worked a lot on slow methodical walk trot transitons on command. a few strides at a time
to have him well focused.

Tonite more snow to sleet to rain and WOO HOO close to 50f tomorrow then yea
the next 10 days forecast are near 40f every day. Hopefully footing will improve greatly and
Toni and I can get back to playing.

Virginia had somone rent her apartment across the street and they are moving in with
5 horses.
The are supposed to be coming soon. Maybe they ride and play too :);)IMG_8602.JPGIMG_8623.JPGIMG_8558.JPGIMG_8659.JPG I'm very thankful to have different areas to play with varing amounts of sun.
And being able to leave all sort of cavlaletti etc out.

I tried to vary the circular path a little to make sure I was not chopping things up.

It was still pretty cold below freezing but the sun felt nice and I had a great time.

Mounted 3.75 hrs

He was very good overall he got a little silly a couple times and did a bit of jumpy bolt when a
total moron flew past on the road reving an insanely loud pickup he did slip and fall on his butt.
I worked a lot on slow methodical walk trot transitons on command. a few strides at a time

the next 10 days forecast are near 40f every day. Hopefully footing will improve greatly and

Virginia had somone rent her apartment across the street and they are moving in with
5 horses.
The are supposed to be coming soon. Maybe they ride and play too :);)View attachment 97130View attachment 97129View attachment 97131View attachment 97128 I'm very thankful to have different areas to play with varing amounts of sun.

I tried to vary the circular path a little to make sure I was not chopping things up.

It was still pretty cold below freezing but the sun felt nice and I had a great time.

Yes what a moron making all that noise!!! Hope Sonny didn't hurt at all.

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Mounted 3.75 hrs

5 horses.
The are supposed to be coming soon. Maybe they ride and play too :);)View attachment 97130View attachment 97129View attachment 97131View attachment 97128 I'm very thankful to have different areas to play with varing amounts of sun.

I know it must be a pain for you, but damn! that snow looks pretty! Hope you get those playmates!

Lol it is kind of pretty when it's not full of ice underneath it.

There is a saying over here kids and animals always love snow because it's all fun and games for them....

Snd to see an animal see snow for the first time is wonderful.

The best EVER. WAS 1977 Ft Huachuka Arizona on the Mexican border.
I bought Sunny ..the first...
From someone on base he was a lifelong
ARIZONA HORSE
Lol I cant escape snow:rolleyes: they had
18 INCHES OF SNOW :eek::eek::eek:
it was awful
Sunny had never seen snow it was awesome he tried to step on top and too cute when his feet went thru it what's going on...
Then rolled and jumped up.
What is this stuff

He came back to New England winters and loved it. He really loved snow.
I had him til he was 32

There were not much but scrubby trees there and he was very protective of his trees He had never seen tall pines .If one had to be cut down he would walk the length of it looking and sniffing. And then give you really dirty looks how dare you cut one of MY TREES.

I DO HOPE we dont end up with another icy crappy mess overnite.

But every day is one day closer to spring.:)

Lol it is kind of pretty when it's not full of ice underneath it.

There is a saying over here kids and animals always love snow because it's all fun and games for them....

Snd to see an animal see snow for the first time is wonderful.

The best EVER. WAS 1977 Ft Huachuka Arizona on the Mexican border.
I bought Sunny ..the first...
From someone on base he was a lifelong
ARIZONA HORSE
Lol I cant escape snow:rolleyes: they had
18 INCHES OF SNOW :eek::eek::eek:
it was awful
Sunny had never seen snow it was awesome he tried to step on top and too cute when his feet went thru it what's going on...
Then rolled and jumped up.
What is this stuff

He came back to New England winters and loved it. He really loved snow.
I had him til he was 32

There were not much but scrubby trees there and he was very protective of his trees He had never seen tall pines .If one had to be cut down he would walk the length of it looking and sniffing. And then give you really dirty looks how dare you cut one of MY TREES.

I DO HOPE we dont end up with another icy crappy mess overnite.

But every day is one day closer to spring.:)
Well lucky Sunny - he had a lovely life by the sound of it. As you say - spring is coming - just a bit slow!

Hours hack on Thursday. Once again a total git until we got into the forest - then fine - schizo! Walked by riders going in opposite direction no problem. Lovely little trot on home stretch - he's very comfy! Going up and downhill better now too, seems less uncomfortable in himself, so hopefully that's a sign of improved fitness. Halts are much better, improving every ride. Am going to try mounting before the forest gate to see if it improves the nappiness. (Just plants his feet and stares into space - "if I don't look at you, you're not there") :rolleyes::D

Sonny unmounted 11.25 hrs
Mounted 3.75 hrs

You have to take each day footing as you get it and hope for the best.:rolleyes::)

Today the little arena was pretty good the snow cover was nice and the underlying ice
was gone;);). The footing was firm and decent.

No silly boy some good traveling circles and walk trot transitions.
Hopefully I can find a good spot someplace tomorrow.
Who knows what Tuesday will bring:(:mad: Sunday will be heavy heavy rain
then Monday heavy heavy windso_Oo_O.
It actually felt kind of nice outIMG_8729.JPGIMG_8714.JPGIMG_8700.JPGIMG_8698.JPGIMG_8686.JPGIMG_8714.JPGIMG_8745.JPG

I ordered a Julie Goodnite DVD and spiral arena booklet today:)

Practice for spring - it goes from ground thru canter so it should be fun
for Toni and I to play with.

I also ordered a neckrope for bridleless riding:p:p that might be fun in the little cavaletti ring VERY LOW KEY:rolleyes:

EVERY DAY IS A DAY CLOSER TO SPRING;););):cool::cool:

Sonny unmounted 11.25 hrs
Mounted 3.75 hrs

You have to take each day footing as you get it and hope for the best.:rolleyes::)

Today the little arena was pretty good the snow cover was nice and the underlying ice
was gone;);). The footing was firm and decent.

No silly boy some good traveling circles and walk trot transitions.
Hopefully I can find a good spot someplace tomorrow.
Who knows what Tuesday will bring:(:mad: Sunday will be heavy heavy rain
then Monday heavy heavy windso_Oo_O.
It actually felt kind of nice outView attachment 97145View attachment 97146View attachment 97147View attachment 97148View attachment 97149View attachment 97150View attachment 97144

I ordered a Julie Goodnite DVD and spiral arena booklet today:)

Practice for spring - it goes from ground thru canter so it should be fun
for Toni and I to play with.

I also ordered a neckrope for bridleless riding:p:p that might be fun in the little cavaletti ring VERY LOW KEY:rolleyes:

EVERY DAY IS A DAY CLOSER TO SPRING;););):cool::cool:
You're flippin' amazing doing all that in the snow! I'm first to hold my hands up and admit I just give up when we get our miniscule little bouts of snow!

Well Spring definitely came to visit today. Bit of a naughty ride, as I was very lazy, just enjoying chatting with people! Everyone was in good spirits with the balmy weather, and in the end Hogan got to do what he likes best - standing still while I chatted. Going out with his buddy tomorrow, so will take that more seriously and do some work!

Hes always been good and calm.
A few times I've been very grateful.
At Borderland Park a few years ago there was a group of school kids that totally surrounded us he was a good boy.
But even better same park was a group of severely handicapped kids and young adults.
They wanted to pet him.
Some had really odd bubble tire wheelchairs one older boy was petting him more of a big hard thump.
HES AMAZING HE KNEW....
He stood ROCK SOLID never moved or put a foot wrong.
I was the most proud when this poor girl with twisted limbs in a wheel chair wanted to pet him he put his head in her lap and snuggled her.

Sunny the first was amazing too although I was briefly terrified.

The what was called a training school
Next town from my old house was huge state institution for severely retarded people all ages young to really old bit mind of a child.
They had hundreds of acres and had a big gymkhana on the property and a fair etc.

That year the people were out around gymkhana area. Very few people keeping an eye on them.

Out of the blue a man maybe 60,s
Grabs Sunny in a headlock tight as could rocking back and forth
HORSEY HORSEY HORSEY...LIKE A CHILD WITH A STUFFED TOY..

IM ON him afraid to breathe terrified
Saying someone PLEASE GET HELP.

Sunny the first gosh he knew too.
HE STOOD ROCK SOLID.
A nurse came and really kind of had to pry the guys arms off Sunny,s head.

With the wrong horse that could have gone very bad really quickly.

Its amazing how animals can just
Know sometimes.

I've been lucky.;)

Hes always been good and calm.
A few times I've been very grateful.
At Borderland Park a few years ago there was a group of school kids that totally surrounded us he was a good boy.
But even better same park was a group of severely handicapped kids and young adults.
They wanted to pet him.
Some had really odd bubble tire wheelchairs one older boy was petting him more of a big hard thump.
HES AMAZING HE KNEW....
He stood ROCK SOLID never moved or put a foot wrong.
I was the most proud when this poor girl with twisted limbs in a wheel chair wanted to pet him he put his head in her lap and snuggled her.

Sunny the first was amazing too although I was briefly terrified.

The what was called a training school
Next town from my old house was huge state institution for severely retarded people all ages young to really old bit mind of a child.
They had hundreds of acres and had a big gymkhana on the property and a fair etc.

That year the people were out around gymkhana area. Very few people keeping an eye on them.

Out of the blue a man maybe 60,s
Grabs Sunny in a headlock tight as could rocking back and forth
HORSEY HORSEY HORSEY...LIKE A CHILD WITH A STUFFED TOY..

IM ON him afraid to breathe terrified
Saying someone PLEASE GET HELP.

Sunny the first gosh he knew too.
HE STOOD ROCK SOLID.
A nurse came and really kind of had to pry the guys arms off Sunny,s head.

With the wrong horse that could have gone very bad really quickly.

Its amazing how animals can just
Know sometimes.

I've been lucky.;)
Many a time, animals out us to shame with their tolerance and understanding. The guy down the lane from us has a grown up son (Maybe 30ish now), with the mind of a young child. He owns a beautiful cob, very goey and prancy dancy. But when his son rides him he's rock solid. I wish they'd use animals more with the young, the elderly and the disabled - they have so much to offer. Especially if they're like your two. Ramsey is on his third generation of my family, and he's been so gentle with mine when they were little, and still now with my young grandchildren. Now Hogan.....well, we'll see lol!

Today melody and me HACKED ALONE..... we did about 40 mins round the various track at our livery yard.... I will admit I was a little nervous to start with but the further we went the more relaxed we became. But I have to say apart from being on her toes and little looks she was brilliant. And by the time we did our 2nd track she was calmer.... cannot wait to go again tomorrow :) not pics but happy memories.

newrider.com