2019 Hacking/Riding Thread

A BLM mustang is on my list, the problem is you cannot adopt one from out of the country, so I would have to have a friend in the US do it for me, they then have to retain it for 12 months before they can sell it to me to ship in, hence it's a less realistic proposition sadly.

That’s a bummer.

Thank you,
I think one would be perfect for @Jessey
I wouldn’t mind one myself actually.
Wonder how much it would cost to ship one over to the UK, quite a lot I imagine.
I fell in love with a skewbsld mare I rode in Colorado a few years back. She was for sale, and if I remember rightly, it was going to cost quite a few thousand to bring her here. But she was gorgeous - sigh.

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Ohhh I knew about a year to ownership but not that you cant adopt out of country

My issue would be sight and ridden unseen. RIDDEN ACTUALLY.

A horse can be great with one person and not suited to someone else.

The horse could seem flawless and have a very bold unintimidated rider.

As I get older.. I get less and less bold.:(

Some things I did as a kid on my first pony I think now...
Wow was I stupid AND VERY LUCKY :eek::eek::rolleyes:
Oh weren't we all!? Remember working in a stables for rides at age 12 and going to bring the horses in from down a busy main road - bareback and a rope halter, no hat - eek! What a wimp I am now!:rolleyes:

Hacked out for around hour and a half Sunday, weather was pretty pleasant. Didn't do a great deal, as forest was heaving - everyone taking advantage of the better weather. The back lane from the forest gate is a gentle hill, so for the first time had a nice active trot up there, cut short by a threatening bush that was up to no good. Will give Hogan his due - when he spooks he just plants all 4 feet, and doesn't actually go anywhere - for that I'm very grateful! Today was beautiful, and we had a leisurely time of it just chatting to all the dog walkers - Hogans favourite kind of hack! Again though, some lovely trots - we're never going to set the world on fire, but at present we're thoroughly enjoying ourselves.

Down off Virginia there is a heard of wild ponies on An island they round up swim across to the mainland and. Auction off a certain number.

Is that the place featured in the book 'Misty of Chincoteague'? They used to swim the ponies to the mainland every year and the whole town was very pony orientated. There was a fair and a pony race too. One year a boy and his sister managed to buy the wildest, fastest mare who had only been caught because she had a very young foal at foot. They tamed her and the boy won the race on her, but then he let her go back to the island and to her stallion who was calling her - the boy knew she really belonged there and not in captivity. They kept the foal though - Misty. Loved that book when I was a child, in fact I still have a copy of it, always wanted one of those tough little ponies.

Is that the place featured in the book 'Misty of Chincoteague'? They used to swim the ponies to the mainland every year and the whole town was very pony orientated. There was a fair and a pony race too. One year a boy and his sister managed to buy the wildest, fastest mare who had only been caught because she had a very young foal at foot. They tamed her and the boy won the race on her, but then he let her go back to the island and to her stallion who was calling her - the boy knew she really belonged there and not in captivity. They kept the foal though - Misty. Loved that book when I was a child, in fact I still have a copy of it, always wanted one of those tough little ponies.
Martin clunes went there on his programme 'Islands of America' a few weeks ago. Amazing watching them swimming across to the mainland!

Yes that's where The MISTY. book
Was inspired.

I really like Martin Clunes. I hope that show comes over here.

I think the fire department mostly orchestrates the swimming of the ponies but that it is a big town. 4th of July event.
Lovely guy - loves dogs and horses - that alone makes me a fan!

Sonny unmounted 18.50hrs
Mounted 3.75 hrs

Had a really good liberty in Sonnys paddock yesterday.

The footing was super.;)

We did walk trot canter and a little silly pants:p:p
IMG_0045.JPGIMG_0068.JPGIMG_0078.JPGIMG_0080.JPGIMG_0092.JPGIMG_0036.JPG
I took a long walkabout this am. I have a new obstacle on the grassy hill:rolleyes::rolleyes:
A gigantic pine tree top came down. It will make some awesome natural obstacles:p:p
IMG_0116.JPGIMG_0119.JPG
I scoped out a couple areas further in the trees for a little cavaletti pen sized round pen that will get a lot of shade in the summer;);)
I will have to mark them out to see how the shade falls during the day.
IMG_0127.JPGIMG_0125.JPG

The snow still up there is I was a bit surprised still quite deep and icy.

Sonny unmounted 19.25hrs
Mounted 3.75 hrs

Had a great play day with Toni.
WE played in hand and played with the St pat Day hats and flags.

Sonny did loose his halo:( a little bit. He was awesome in my arena online and went very nicely behing me. IN the little cavaletti pen he did really well going around while I'm in the chair and
behind me then too THEN he got a little silly pants and did not want to stop immediately when i lowered my head.
IMG_0224.JPGIMG_0243.JPGIMG_0256.JPGIMG_0273.JPGIMG_0244.JPGIMG_0268.JPGIMG_0278.JPGIMG_0284.JPGIMG_0180.JPG
For only 38F out there it felt nice in the sun:)

Reactions: Huggy and GaryB
Sonny unmounted 18.50hrs
Mounted 3.75 hrs

Had a really good liberty in Sonnys paddock yesterday.

The footing was super.;)

We did walk trot canter and a little silly pants:p:p
View attachment 97456View attachment 97457View attachment 97458View attachment 97459View attachment 97460View attachment 97455
I took a long walkabout this am. I have a new obstacle on the grassy hill:rolleyes::rolleyes:
A gigantic pine tree top came down. It will make some awesome natural obstacles:p:p
View attachment 97462View attachment 97461
I scoped out a couple areas further in the trees for a little cavaletti pen sized round pen that will get a lot of shade in the summer;);)
I will have to mark them out to see how the shade falls during the day.
View attachment 97464View attachment 97463

The snow still up there is I was a bit surprised still quite deep and icy.
Lol - love the attitude in pics 3 and 4!

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Today we worked a bit harder - 3 or 4 sustained trots in places I hadn't asked for it before. I can see him thinking about a little buck now and then, ears go back and the tail swishes, but so far he's decided against it, and once he has, he goes forward beautifully. The ever present forest ponies seem to have moved on, but then today we had a lady walking her dogs behind us, and every time we changed direction, she did too. Every so often the dogs went past us in a pincer movement, one on either side, so Hogan slowed down each time. Eventually I just stopped to let her go past. I try not to impinge on people's walks or rides, and try to change direction so we can all get on with it, so that was a bit frustrating. Mind you, I do accept it's a free country, and she can go any direction she chooses! Lost concentration on the lane home, and he yanked his head down to eat, got caught in brambles, and we rode the rest of the way like this....20190320_103708.jpg

I managed to get my lorry sorted out so in Saturday we had a very nice hack around the Wyre Forest. There is a main (green) route plus 3 optional loops (purple, pink and railway line). This time I did the green plus the purple which was 8.3 miles in total. Harvey was very good apart from the bit where he tried to roll in a large dirty puddle with me still on him (a smart kick sort that out!). Sadly this is only a walk and trot route but we both enjoyed it.

Sunday was a quick hack around the block with 2 fellow liveries, but we did trot up "the hill" which is quite long and steep.

Harvey enjoyed going out without his coat on.
i-dLmJ5tK-X2.jpg

Hacking

3 hours
11.5 miles

Totals

Schooling
7 hours 30

Hacking
67.8 miles
19 hours 40

I managed to get my lorry sorted out so in Saturday we had a very nice hack around the Wyre Forest. There is a main (green) route plus 3 optional loops (purple, pink and railway line). This time I did the green plus the purple which was 8.3 miles in total. Harvey was very good apart from the bit where he tried to roll in a large dirty puddle with me still on him (a smart kick sort that out!). Sadly this is only a walk and trot route but we both enjoyed it.

Sunday was a quick hack around the block with 2 fellow liveries, but we did trot up "the hill" which is quite long and steep.

Harvey enjoyed going out without his coat on.
i-dLmJ5tK-X2.jpg

Hacking

3 hours
11.5 miles

Totals

Schooling
7 hours 30

Hacking
67.8 miles
19 hours 40
Nice to see him without a jacket! Can't wait to take Ramseys off, but he's so skinny, think it'll have to get a little warmer.

Reactions: GaryB
Went out Saturday with his friend and her field mate. First time out of the inclosure, even if only round the edge, and he was very good. Went out in front and behind, no problem. Out today, solo - why is a stationary wheelchair scarier than a moving one? :rolleyes:. Also had a little faff about a car with a little trailer, but went past without too much nonsense. Seemed to be lots of dogs today, and 2 got very close behind, but he was a little star - rock solid with them. Trotting up nicely now, and the girl in the next yard commented on how much more active his walk is.

Sonny unmounted 19.25hrs
Mounted 3.75 hrs

The footing is getting better and better.

Even after having a couple inches of snow Saturday am..
It was gone by evening with temps having gone to 50f

I'll take that kind of snow.

Played sevreal times walk trot and canter in my little cavaletti pen
on Sunday and I w-t -c in the arena today.

Its looking good for play together tomorrow and woo hoo RIDING.

I'm slowly dong my pots with flowers and changing over the pots that need it.

I got part of the
arena done today.
Those pots are bigger so they need more flower stems and i have to balance it
with the same flowers so I got the 4 corners and the 2 center pots done today.

IMG_0722.JPGIMG_0685.JPGIMG_0713.JPGIMG_0527.JPGIMG_0559.JPGIMG_0508.JPGIMG_0482.JPGIMG_0579.JPGIMG_0740.JPG

Reactions: GaryB and Huggy
newrider.com