2019 Hacking/Riding Thread

I had a night'mare' this morning! She came in from the field, about half way up the track decided she didn't want to come in and started prancing and dancing about - next thing up she goes and struck out at me with her front feet :oops: actually hit me in the ribs, not hard thankfully! To say I am shocked is an understatement, very occasionally she behaves like a total twit and it's always this time of year, I put it down to her being in season and the fresh grass.
Anyway decided to go for a hack (bad move) and boy was she silly, we jogged everywhere, spooked at everything and then proceeded to leg it with me down our woodland path when she saw a lamb next to the fence....... so @Huggy you are not alone, Belle is a saint 99.99% of the time, just today was the 0.1% when she wasn't . Onwards and upwards :rolleyes:

Reactions: GaryB and Huggy
I had a night'mare' this morning! She came in from the field, about half way up the track decided she didn't want to come in and started prancing and dancing about - next thing up she goes and struck out at me with her front feet :oops: actually hit me in the ribs, not hard thankfully! To say I am shocked is an understatement, very occasionally she behaves like a total twit and it's always this time of year, I put it down to her being in season and the fresh grass.
Anyway decided to go for a hack (bad move) and boy was she silly, we jogged everywhere, spooked at everything and then proceeded to leg it with me down our woodland path when she saw a lamb next to the fence....... so @Huggy you are not alone, Belle is a saint 99.99% of the time, just today was the 0.1% when she wasn't . Onwards and upwards :rolleyes:
If I could quadruple "like" this, I would! Very comforting! I do feel for you though - they are total schizophrenics when they do this and when they start, you think "Oh he'll settle" and they rarely do, until the next ride, when you're tensing for the naughties, and they don't come! You're lucky with your percentages with Belle though - Hogan's more 50/50! :( That front feet thing though, it's lethal! Never had that with Ramsey, but I'm learning fast!!

Talk about swings and roundabouts! Out for one and a half hours today, and one of our best rides. Not one naughty moment, and I felt confident enough to venture outside our comfort zone, so took a completely new route. Trying to trot on the "uncomfortable" diagonal, as he needs to build up a bit on one side, and he didn't put a foot wrong. Even managed a wobbly pic on the dreaded lane of doom!20190516_101415.jpg

So - started out on a hack with his buddy and 2 others. Hogan went on beautifully. In the lead, past a horse galloping up and down the fence line, down the lane, through the gate into forest - good as gold. Got halfway round, turned to go up a hill, and he went ballistic again. Throwing his head around, trying to rear etc etc. Really didn't settle all the way home. Got off, then back on, and fine for 10 minutes, then repeat of the nonsense. The girl I go out with thinks it might be because he's put on a fair bit of weight, and he was just objecting to the hill. She's kindly offered to go out tomorrow evening, just the 2 of us and try to deal with it. Any suggestions gladly received - is it just the spring grass? I've had 2 lovely rides this week on my own. Is it the dynamics of the horses we went out with? Why so sudden, halfway round? HEEEELP!

Sonny unmounted 43.25 hrs
Mounted 8.50 hrs

What a nice day had a really REALLY lovely ride around.
It got quite warm today in the 70's and woo hoo FULL SUN for once.
It was a bit warm in the arena but I went up in and out and up and around the trees on the hill and played with a lot of cavaletti..
but it was all just nice and relaxed.
I was In shade-- sun- partial shade but it was ALL GOOD.

Hopefully tomorrow will be nice again.

Can't keep up with the changing climate that is Hogan! Went out this evening with his best friend (who was on the disastrous ride yesterday), and he was immaculate. Went in front, behind, side by side, not a flicker. The only moments he looked like he just might act up were when we went down a steep hill, and when I tightened his girth. I think i overtightened it yesterday, and if I look back to getting him ready to go out, he fidgeted when I did his girth in the stable. I also remember the physio saying he'd have trouble with hills, both up and down, while he carried extra weight. I hope I've solved at least a couple of issues - we'll see how tomorrow goes :)

Hour's hack alone today, did not overtighten girth, and all went well. Trotted up nicely, little gent. On the way to the gate out ofthe forest, we met a rider going the opposite way, so chatted for a minute and parted company. Cue bunny hop rears and mini bucks. Luckily my nerve held, and I sat it out. After about a minute he gave up, and we had a lovely trot home.i think it helped we were homeward bound, but all Hogan will remember is that I won that one! I can only say that hacks on Hogan are never boring! o_O :p

Goodness - I have got a bit behind, We had a week away and then I was busy.

Week 1
2 nice hacks around the block

Week 2 - lots of roadworks, so SJ schooling on Saturday and a very quick hack on Sunday. I was supposed to be going to a fun ride but my lorry has broken down again :(

This week I had a nice long hack with my fellow livery and I got off Harvey to open a gate and then remounted. This is a big milestone for me as I haven't done it since I fell off remounting nearly a year ago (and I still have the scar on my face!). My lorry is still broken but my YO very kindly put me on the insurance for hers so Harvey and I went off to the Ragley Hall fun ride and had a great time with a lady I occasionally meet to fun rides.

So full he can't move!
i-47kQtzc-XL.jpg

Greys are such fun at this time of year!
i-ftGwKbC-XL.jpg

Harvey wasn't too keen on coming out. He didn't bother getting up even while I put his head collar on
i-j8Zncw7-XL.jpg

Waiting for my riding buddy
i-ffgrTXL-XL.jpg

Ready to go
i-XFdhjXB-XL.jpg

Totals

Schooling
11 hours 35

Hacking
130 miles
36 hours

Goodness - I have got a bit behind, We had a week away and then I was busy.

Week 1
2 nice hacks around the block

Week 2 - lots of roadworks, so SJ schooling on Saturday and a very quick hack on Sunday. I was supposed to be going to a fun ride but my lorry has broken down again :(

This week I had a nice long hack with my fellow livery and I got off Harvey to open a gate and then remounted. This is a big milestone for me as I haven't done it since I fell off remounting nearly a year ago (and I still have the scar on my face!). My lorry is still broken but my YO very kindly put me on the insurance for hers so Harvey and I went off to the Ragley Hall fun ride and had a great time with a lady I occasionally meet to fun rides.

So full he can't move!
i-47kQtzc-XL.jpg

Greys are such fun at this time of year!
i-ftGwKbC-XL.jpg

Harvey wasn't too keen on coming out. He didn't bother getting up even while I put his head collar on
i-j8Zncw7-XL.jpg

Waiting for my riding buddy
i-ffgrTXL-XL.jpg

Ready to go
i-XFdhjXB-XL.jpg

Totals

Schooling
11 hours 35

Hacking
130 miles
36 hours
Busy busy! You're putting us to shame with all this activity!!! :D

Well, Hogan is still challenging me, but luckily only briefly, on almost every ride! I've had some really good hacks this week, and he's been back to his usual laid back self. Though I did think he was going to have a coronary on Thursday when we were trotting. He and B broke through to the bottom field, and both looked like pregnant mares when I got them out on Wednesday night. Took me 10 minutes to get the girth done up on Thursday! Luckily he was so fat he just couldn't be bothered to misbehave.
Went out with his pal today, and only one little hiccup. Omg! Different route! No! No! Oh - okay then. :rolleyes: Still doing bits and bobs - working on leg yielding, which he's not great at. I'm going to try to do more actual work while we're out, as I think he may be a bit bored.Screenshot_20190525-230317_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20190525-230132_Gallery.jpg

Sonny unmounted 45.25 hrs
Mounted 8.50 hrs

A bit of sportatic play last week.
They got first shots and floating.
The weather has been a bit off heavy rain some days to just shy of 90f Sunday:eek:
then pushing mid 80f again yesterday:mad:

Did some patriotic decorating over the last few days was memorial day and the 4th of July is coming up so
there are some red white and blue fun things.:p:p:p

It was cloudy and cooler and just enough breeze to be NICE
so I just had some awesome play.
Rain is due later and at some point every day the rest of the week but hopefully
there will be fun play times scattered between heat coming back in a couple days and the rain.

I have to finish decorating the little cavaletti pen and I think I will decorate his paddock as well. Its fun dollar store items so the festive fun does not break the bank:rolleyes:.

A nice long weekend in the UK. My lorry is still broken - once it is mended I think I am going to swap it. I have only traveled Harvey forwards and herringbone so on Friday I hired a 3.5t box to see if he would travel backwards. He could only just squeeze in, but traveled backwards without any problems. Poor boy was very confused when he came off the box and found he hadn't gone anywhere!

On Saturday we had an uneventful hack round. On Sunday we tried the same hack in reverse but Harvey was a complete pain, spooking at everything and at one point going from stand to canter into a road junction. On Monday I took him out in company and he was much better but still very silly. I'm hoping its just the grass :(

Hacking
14 miles
3.5 hours

Totals

Schooling
11 hours 35

Hacking
144 miles
39.5 hours

newrider.com