2019 Hacking/Riding Thread

A nice long weekend in the UK. My lorry is still broken - once it is mended I think I am going to swap it. I have only traveled Harvey forwards and herringbone so on Friday I hired a 3.5t box to see if he would travel backwards. He could only just squeeze in, but traveled backwards without any problems. Poor boy was very confused when he came off the box and found he hadn't gone anywhere!

On Saturday we had an uneventful hack round. On Sunday we tried the same hack in reverse but Harvey was a complete pain, spooking at everything and at one point going from stand to canter into a road junction. On Monday I took him out in company and he was much better but still very silly. I'm hoping its just the grass :(

Hacking
14 miles
3.5 hours

Totals

Schooling
11 hours 35

Hacking
144 miles
39.5 hours

Bet it is still the grass - even our two oldies are daft side out off it.

I think it'sthe grass with Hogan too (she said, hopefully) ;) . Realising that of course I knew how it would affect Ramsey, but this my first spring with Hogan.
Hours hack today, and he seems calmer already. Met 2 riders, and he thought about being a twit, but didn't follow through lol. I don't think the crab flies are helping - so far, none in the field, but he had 4 on him by the time we got home. I HATE them! Nasty nasty things. I'm dreading the horse flies - for a big chunky lump, he's a bit of a sissy about flies. He's very definitely easier to work with going out solo, but I will have to persevere with company, or we'll be a lonely pair! Girl I ride with, thinks it's riding school memories, and I have to ride him through it. Probably right.

Well, meet Mr Grasshopper! We bought him yesterday - he's going to be very handy (for mowing the lawn amongst other things) but my excitement is down to him being able to mow a path around our land - yaye a hacking track! And he can pull a small pallet to flatten the school! Yaye. 'Scuse the daft face :oops:
WP_20190530_14_39_26_Pro.jpg
Chloe was totally not interested (as you can see!) Who needs a new bathroom suite anyways?! Lol horse related items are so much nicer!

Well, meet Mr Grasshopper! We bought him yesterday - he's going to be very handy (for mowing the lawn amongst other things) but my excitement is down to him being able to mow a path around our land - yaye a hacking track! And he can pull a small pallet to flatten the school! Yaye. 'Scuse the daft face :oops:
View attachment 98530
Chloe was totally not interested (as you can see!) Who needs a new bathroom suite anyways?! Lol horse related items are so much nicer!
Oooh I'd love one of those! I'm battling my way through the undergrowth at the yard, but it ain't my yard, so just have to deal. :( That is not a daft face - it is a very proud of my toy face.:p

Sonny unmounted 45.25 hrs
Mounted 8.50 hrs

Some fun play yesterday in cavaletti pen and front yard cavaletti.
I need to come up with a way to secure the pool noodles so they don't droop:mad::(.
Sonny did some lovely energetic reversals.
Sending him into the tire he was very good too:)

I can only decorate the little cavaletti pen on the sides not near the goats:(.
2 seconds and they would be saying MOM we redecorated:eek:

Reactions: GaryB and Trewsers
Probably one of our best rides yet today. Went out with his friend, and hacked for an hour and a half. We've worked out 2 things with Hogan. He goes much better in front, and the bother we had the last ride in company, both times someone went in front, and secondly, we think he's used to galloping up hills, and gets antsy in company when we head up a hill. I think it's quite a sound theory, and looking back, it fits with a lot if his tantrums. We went outside the inclosure, and along the side of the road, and he was a little gent, start to finish. He earned his bucket today! :D 20190602_192525.jpg

I've got an SJ clinic booked for next week so I spent the weekend doing a bit of practicing. After my recent lack of brakes I have a new bit for Harvey which is the same as the old one but is a universal (well maybe - I'm not very good at bits). I found it was giving a bit too much poll pressure and while I had brakes Harvey was objecting to it. My YO showed me how to rig up a flash strap to make it milder and this then suited us both.

On the good news front my lorry is going again, but it it is now out of MoT as it missed its appointment. Its off for the MoT today so fingers crossed.

Sorry for yet another set of jumping pics :( I was practicing my steering so the sizes weren't really relevant but I think the oxer was 80cm and the vertical 90cm

i-cXrFVTX-XL.jpg

This is my turning left face (if I remember to do it just turning my head makes him land on the correct leg
i-cGvZJgc-XL.jpg

Schooling
1 hour 15

Totals

Schooling
12 hours 50

Hacking
144 miles
39.5 hours

Short hack today - 45 mins. Started doing small circles on both reins - wow, does he get snarky doing it! Trotting more, also snarky about that! He decided he'd done enough, slowed down, so I legged him on. Another charming trick he's learnt somewhere - head right down, then throw it up and back, to see if he can head butt his rider! Luckily, I ride quite upright or he'd have given me a free nose job. All in all though, it was a fun ride. (He didn't think so). Oh, and we unintentionally jumped a log.

Well, got rained off today - hailed and then pelted it down as we left the yard. However, SO glad I spent ages grooming Hogan - I turned away to get his bridle, and this greeted me when I turned back.....thinks he's funny.20190608_105627.jpg

Sonny unmounted 47.25 hrs
Mounted 8.50 hrs

OHHH how fickle we can be.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :p:p

It had been kind of chilly needing to wear a sweat shirt not its gone quite HOT
the last week or so.
Now I appreciate Needing the sweatshirt.

Been doing some early morning play when the big rd pen is partly shaded then letting him eat grass there for a while.
Later in the day he can go out back where there is more shade.

WE have finally had a few dry days in a row and pollen has EXPLODED.
The cars look like they are flocked its so thick.

Sonny unmounted 47.25 hrs
Mounted 8.50 hrs

OHHH how fickle we can be.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :p:p

It had been kind of chilly needing to wear a sweat shirt not its gone quite HOT
the last week or so.
Now I appreciate Needing the sweatshirt.

Been doing some early morning play when the big rd pen is partly shaded then letting him eat grass there for a while.
Later in the day he can go out back where there is more shade.

View attachment 98704View attachment 98703View attachment 98701

WE have finally had a few dry days in a row and pollen has EXPLODED.
The cars look like they are flocked its so thick.
He's so shiny!!!!

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Hacked out yesterday, hour and a half with friend. Behaved very well, mainly because she and her owner are SO laid back and let him go in front the whole way!
Hours hack, solo, today. He's developed a good active walk now, and trots are increasing in length, every ride. He wasn't nearly as bolshy about being legged on today, hopefully he's learned another lesson about not being the boss! Was going to extend the ride, as he was being so good, but turned down a track to be greeted by a van and a guy with a chainsaw - we quit while we were winning! He was a bit spooky after that, so was relieved to see the yard in the distance - home safe!Screenshot_20190610-151426_Gallery.jpg

Yay! On Saturday I finally made it to a 90cm SJ clinic. This was the fifth one I had booked having had two previous ones cancelled due to lack of participants, one due to horse flu, and one when the lorry wouldn't start. I did have to borrow a lorry to get there as mine has now failed its MoT :(

Harvey went well for me in his new bit - we had a couple of run outs and one fence down basically because with my new brakes I was holding him too much. I was pleased with him though. Later I was on babysitting duties riding Archie the veteran to accompany YO on her competition horse. Its a good job he is a solid type as we met a street party with tents, a bouncy castle and lots of noisy people.

On Sunday I hacked with another livery (who also can't hack solo) and then again on Archie as babysitter.

Harvey "helping"
i-skXXR6Z-XL.jpg

Archie managed to grab a bit of hedge on the way through the gate
i-7Phh9Qm-XL.jpg

Schooling
1 hour

Hacking
8 miles
2 hours 30

Totals

Schooling
13 hours 50

Hacking
152 miles
42 hours

Zi and me are still pootling. Not that often, but we try. Still haven't made a start on the hack track yet - but it will come eventually. He really must be a saint of a horse though, because yesterday I was that busy faffing over my boots not feeling right - well, I just wasn't concentrating at all - and fidgeting but he didn't seem to notice. Love him! Must get some recent pics too.

Sonny unmounted 49.25 hrs
Mounted 8.50 hrs

Been doing sproratic play here and there humidity and pollen came down a bit after rain Monday pm into yesterday. nOT
Sonny was nice and muddy during some play :rolleyes:.
Late yesterday I let him have some grass under the trees loose while I was out there.
Hew did wander in and out of the shade a little but it was a nice cool wind out.

I am so SOOOOOO GLAD I vaccinate for everything.
There is a little glitch in paradise:(
I guess there are many issues with the apartment rental and 5 horses that moved in
a few months ago and they had been asked to leave.
Not sure sure how this all came about but she never requested proof of ANYTHING
for coggins rabies etc she took their word.
It turns out there there is NOTHING :eek: and the horses are quarantined there
til tests come back clear.:mad:
I'm not thrilled about this.
I had let a few guests play with me over her in the past. That stopped after one was a
total jerk.
Has she not been requiring proof of anyone???????

newrider.com