2020 Hacking & Riding Thread

Sonny unmounted 4.0 hrs

Another really good play session in the arena.
No play today winds will be really bad again. Its a bit if rain and snow out there now but not much.
But on a super note the Saturday nite snowstorm will be less and hopefully turn to rain Sunday am.

In almost wish we would have a coating today to look for tracks.

I looked out yesterday afternoon all the goats were loooking towards side of the house on high alert..
STUPID STUPID ME.
I kind of rushed out the door I should have looked first and gone out slowly.
Right out in the iris bed was a big red fox
That took off.
It seemed big and when I told my husband he said sure it wasn't a coyote.
At the time I was til i looked up photos online and they are reddish too.

I'm still thinking it was really red.
It was really healthy looking nice coat.

I'd be a terrible witness with a quick glimpse of something.
How big do coyotes get? Are they dangerous? The foxes round here, once grown, are very timid. Apparently it's badgers you need to be careful of round here, though I've never seen one, except dead on the road :( . You must see lots of wildlife, lucky you.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
Coyote can be like a good size dog.

The animal ran right off when I went out on the deck.

I could kick myself for not being slower and getting a good look.

Foxes would not bother the goats except for tiny kids.

Coyotes would thats why their night areas are enclosed in 6 ft chain link.

I think coyotes can be bolder.

In the summer we hear them way out back howling..that is creepy..

We have lots of wildlife around.

Rabbits. Woodchucks
Deer the lovely turkey group
And one little skunk that seems to fit in
And not cause problems.
And lots of snakes.
Lots of hawks.
And ugh VULTURES
The vultures creep me out.
When we first moved here there were 3 on the top of one of the barns they are as gross looking as portrayed in drawings and shows in Africa.
I had no idea we even had them here.

No badgers I don't think.
I like them but when I think of a badger I think of the Doc Martin episode with the
Woman burning one on the back deck.

We have squirrels too.
Its It's funny sometimes to see them running along the wires between the telephone poles.

The lovely Turkey group

Coyote can be like a good size dog.

The animal ran right off when I went out on the deck.

I could kick myself for not being slower and getting a good look.

Foxes would not bother the goats except for tiny kids.

Coyotes would thats why their night areas are enclosed in 6 ft chain link.

I think coyotes can be bolder.

In the summer we hear them way out back howling..that is creepy..

We have lots of wildlife around.

Rabbits. Woodchucks
Deer the lovely turkey group
And one little skunk that seems to fit in
And not cause problems.
And lots of snakes.
Lots of hawks.
And ugh VULTURES
The vultures creep me out.
When we first moved here there were 3 on the top of one of the barns they are as gross looking as portrayed in drawings and shows in Africa.
I had no idea we even had them here.

No badgers I don't think.
I like them but when I think of a badger I think of the Doc Martin episode with the
Woman burning one on the back deck.

We have squirrels too.
Its It's funny sometimes to see them running along the wires between the telephone poles.

The lovely Turkey group
We have rabbits, squirrels, foxes, the occasional adder, and there's a badger set, though I've never seen the badger. I got these lovely pic of the fox cubs year before last. Then they got older and hardly saw them.Screenshot_20200116-123832_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200116-123749_Video Player.jpg

Huggy I forgot about the resident bear 3 to 4 miles from here in the next town.

The shop we get our car repairs and the house I get honey from have both him.
The honey people call their brand NAUGHTY BEAR.. because he got into their hives.

Its probably the same one because they are on 2 different roads coming up into a triangle at a rotary. He probably hangs out in the middle.

Sonny unmounted 4.25 hrs.

Some play in his paddock at liberty the winds were really bad he was pretty good
No silly boy.

While i was still outside 2 turbo prop c130 MILITARY cargo planes went over REALLY LOW.
The horses did not react ..poor goats they flew into their clubhouses BIG BUGS..
BIG BUGS head for the hills
They got totally freaked out.

I was a little freaked out too til i saw the second one pop out from behind the trees.
Ay first i thought it was having problems being so low.
It was probably low altitude heavy wind
Maneuvers .
I could have gotten such fun photos they were so low.
I only planned on being outside a moment or 2 not playing etc so I did not take my camera or phone. Bummer.
I always take them sigh. Oh well..

Huggy I forgot about the resident bear 3 to 4 miles from here in the next town.

The shop we get our car repairs and the house I get honey from have both him.
The honey people call their brand NAUGHTY BEAR.. because he got into their hives.

Its probably the same one because they are on 2 different roads coming up into a triangle at a rotary. He probably hangs out in the middle.
Sonny unmounted 4.25 hrs.

Some play in his paddock at liberty the winds were really bad he was pretty good
No silly boy.

While i was still outside 2 turbo prop c130 MILITARY cargo planes went over REALLY LOW.
The horses did not react ..poor goats they flew into their clubhouses BIG BUGS..
BIG BUGS head for the hills
They got totally freaked out.

I was a little freaked out too til i saw the second one pop out from behind the trees.
Ay first i thought it was having problems being so low.
It was probably low altitude heavy wind
Maneuvers .
I could have gotten such fun photos they were so low.
I only planned on being outside a moment or 2 not playing etc so I did not take my camera or phone. Bummer.
I always take them sigh. Oh well..
It's all going on at your place isn't it? Coyotes, low flying military planes honey loving bears.....

@horseandgoatmom i rather like vultures, they are one of nature’s goodies, they are one of the few scavengers who can tolerate diseased carcasses, apparently because of very acidic stomach acid they can eat even carcasses carrying anthrax with no issues, I find the ecologically fascinating, but let’s face it they were at the back of the queue when looks were being handed out!

Little one handed hack on Belle this morning as I’m still not up to schooling so.
Belle = 4hrs 50 mins
Pony Cob = 2hrs 30 mins

Glorious cold frosty sunny morning! Left the yard at 8am, and although it's soggy underfoot, it was a lovely ride. We took an unusual route, which Hogan seemed to enjoy - he was quite perky - for Hogan! As we approached the edge of the inclosure, there was a forest pony across the road, yelling continuously for some mates. Hogan huffed and puffed a bit, but didn't break his stride. Got into a nice trot and, hold onto your hats - had 4 ponies on the verge of the track - he again didn't break his stride, and although he glared at them, trotted past. So there I am, pleased as punch, and a man with two huge mastiff type dogs turns the corner towards us. We did a cartoon skid stop, (his idea, not mine)but thank goodness, all he did was sidle a bit as we passed them. Screenshot_20200118-142436_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200118-142449_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200118-142442_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200118-142525_Gallery.jpg

Kite rider... A very good point being natures clean up crew. ;)

They serve a needed job.

The look of them really is creepy though.

No play or anything yesterday or today
Either.
The temps are just too cold real temps have been single digits f and wind chills. Below zero f.

It will warm up a bit tonite and snow..
HOPEFULLY not too much and be nicer
Tomorrow.

Lovely hack with the two boys this morning. A friend brought there young rhodesian ridgeback this morning for a bit of horse experience. She has chased a couple of horses whilst on holiday and been kicked by one so they wanted to try and teach the dog that horses are good but not to chase.
She only about 18 months and quite full on hyper. Met my two boys about a year ago and as she got close to the field she got over excited and went through my 6 strand high tensile electric fence. She went so quick she dodged the jolt. Took off in hot pursuit after Billy who lashed out but fortunately missed her that day.
Initially when i was talking to them on Wednesday and they said they wanted to do some more horse training i offered the owner to come and i'd hack out and they could walk the dog up on the hill along side us. Then i changed my mind when i said it would be interesting to see how she reacts if he was riding. So i offered him chunky to ride. Which to my shock he accepted. I only said it jokingish. I was worried as the guy weighs about 10kg heavier than me. But for a one off i decided it would be okay. We were only going to be plodding. Id said if it looks like a diaster we'd just come back. I took my collie too so there dog had company and was just hoping it wouldn't spook at the horses and bolt. The guy has only ridden a few times and not for about 25 years. I loaned him a hat, chaps and body protector. He seemed to be really enjoying it and came back from his ride beaming ear to ear, and said hed love to do it again. I did have to tell him about riding with hands at the end of the reins a few times and to slide his hands down for contact. It was the classic beginner rein error and i explained the reason. Chunky was an absolute star and took great care of his rider. I think if chunky shot off i think he would have soon got the message about no contact. Thank god he got away with it. Chunky stopped a couple of times going up the steep climb to the top of the hill but i did expect it with the extra weight onboard. His dog was super as well and every time chunky did stop she started whining and bouncing as much to say what you stopped for im so enjoying my walk lets go. We did a 2.5 to 3 mile loop in the end but a very enjoyable ride today. The guy was super pleased with his dog. Apparently he didnt tell his other half he was going horse riding. He just said he was going to do some dog training with my horses. I had to laugh. I think she would have freaked if she knew and would have tried to talk him out of it.

Lovely hack with the two boys this morning. A friend brought there young rhodesian ridgeback this morning for a bit of horse experience. She has chased a couple of horses whilst on holiday and been kicked by one so they wanted to try and teach the dog that horses are good but not to chase.
She only about 18 months and quite full on hyper. Met my two boys about a year ago and as she got close to the field she got over excited and went through my 6 strand high tensile electric fence. She went so quick she dodged the jolt. Took off in hot pursuit after Billy who lashed out but fortunately missed her that day.
Initially when i was talking to them on Wednesday and they said they wanted to do some more horse training i offered the owner to come and i'd hack out and they could walk the dog up on the hill along side us. Then i changed my mind when i said it would be interesting to see how she reacts if he was riding. So i offered him chunky to ride. Which to my shock he accepted. I only said it jokingish. I was worried as the guy weighs about 10kg heavier than me. But for a one off i decided it would be okay. We were only going to be plodding. Id said if it looks like a diaster we'd just come back. I took my collie too so there dog had company and was just hoping it wouldn't spook at the horses and bolt. The guy has only ridden a few times and not for about 25 years. I loaned him a hat, chaps and body protector. He seemed to be really enjoying it and came back from his ride beaming ear to ear, and said hed love to do it again. I did have to tell him about riding with hands at the end of the reins a few times and to slide his hands down for contact. It was the classic beginner rein error and i explained the reason. Chunky was an absolute star and took great care of his rider. I think if chunky shot off i think he would have soon got the message about no contact. Thank god he got away with it. Chunky stopped a couple of times going up the steep climb to the top of the hill but i did expect it with the extra weight onboard. His dog was super as well and every time chunky did stop she started whining and bouncing as much to say what you stopped for im so enjoying my walk lets go. We did a 2.5 to 3 mile loop in the end but a very enjoyable ride today. The guy was super pleased with his dog. Apparently he didnt tell his other half he was going horse riding. He just said he was going to do some dog training with my horses. I had to laugh. I think she would have freaked if she knew and would have tried to talk him out of it.
I think you may be responsible for infecting your friend with the horsey bug. ;) . Good for chunky - sounds like extra carrots were in order!

He didnt get any carrots unfortunately. Just his normal food. Even i didnt have any veggie off cuts today. His little rider always brings a bag of carrots to share between the boys after we ride. They get carrot overload then, but i compensate by giving them less in there food bowl on those days. Shes not able to ride this weekend though.

A four mile hack for billy today. He looked quite energetic at lunchtime as we were taking out hay for the sheep and he ran along the fenceline as we drove up the field. They started kicking out. He only had two tiny trots yesterday so today i made him work, figured he needed to get it out his system. So trotted and walked him up the hill on the main road and off onto the country lane which gets really steep. We must have been shifting some as i did the whole ride in 50 minutes. At least i was warm when i got back.
Then went out for a 3 mile drive with chunky. It was getting cold then, so i was frozen. I actually had to get out the carriage coming up my road as i was starting to shiver. By the time id walked home i could just about feel my fingers. My hands and body still hurt from yesterday's sheep foot trimming so i think i have seized up from that and therefore got cold as i wasnt moving for all my aching.

Not quite the weekend I expected. We try to avoid people being on their own at the yard and our groom (A) isn't allowed to handle horses unless there is somebody there. I changed my orignal plans so I could be there "just in case". On this occasion it was just as well - we were about to turn the YO's mare out and were just putting her rug on when she lashed out with a back leg knocking A across the yard. I managed to put the mare in a stable and quicked checked A over to make sure that I didn't need an ambulance (slightly tricky in itself when dealing with a 17 year old girl!). Having established it wasn't serious (no broken bones or blood) I managed to get her up and into a safer warmer place, then quickly brought the horses in and set off for A&E. At this point A's parents had been informed but weren't close so I called my OH (who knows A) so she could go in see the Dr with her. As it happened A's mum got there in time and it turned out to be only badly bruised leg. I then had to zap back and finish off the yard jobs and feed my share ponies (at another yard). (3 hours in A&E makes a big hole in the day). I managed to climb on Harvey for a very quick ride by floodlight at 4:30!

Sunday was a SJ clinic and I was at the yard early to help cover for A. She normally grooms for me and she did hobble along to watch - bless her!). Harvey was a bit like a runaway train and for the first 10 minutes it was all a bit exciting for both of us but he did settle in the end. We managed a nicely controlled round at 95cm which I was pleased with so I elected to stop at that point while the others went on at 115cm

A bit over dramatic for a cross pole!
928A0910-XL.jpg

Still too much!
928A0930-XL.jpg

Better :)
928A1090-XL.jpg

928A1099-XL.jpg

I was pleased with this as it was a double followed by a 5 stride dogleg into this skinny fence and a fairly tight turn out. I've had more runouts at this fence than any other.
928A1120-XL.jpg

Schooling
70 minutes

Totals
Schooling
2 hours

Hacking
3 hours 20
12 miles

Last edited:
newrider.com