2020 Hacking & Riding Thread

That could have been so much worse - I'll bet her parents were glad you were there! Your jumping looks great fun. You certainly can't just sit on Harvey and be the passenger, so credit to you!

Ohhh what a weekend... glad she is ok.
That last few photos you both
look amazing..;)

A lash out can be horrible.
And very dangerous.
At Borderland park years ago.
The person I was riding with and we were in her trailer and Andi was recovering from a fractured hock so I was riding her mare. This was a few years before Sonny.
She was riding her Tb.
He did have a history of lashing out when handling his feet.
We were getting ready to saddle. She was cleaning his feet. IN the blink of an eye he nailed her... omg it was awful she went flying..the Bend in her leg in a place that DOESN'T BEND.. Was HORRIFYING..

Only good thing was she was tossed far enough to not be further stepped on.
The ambulance came and immediately called for an airlift by helicopter.

I'm there w the horses and not having driven a horse trailer in years.
Thank God my husband was home to come w our car and drive the trailer back.

I'm a bit fussy about mine being good about their feet AND standing well to mount.

I want to be able to pick up all 4 feet from any one side with no drama.

Lol he sure does.. :)

And lol you csn see what he would look like as a snowflake appaloosa :p:p:p:p;)

No play yesterday I stepped in a hole sonny had made in a path of manure that time he went right out that back gate.
Being snow covered i forgot in had not filled in those footprint.
Ive been going other places out the gate.
When that foot went down ugh it slammed the other knee ..the one that bothers me..:mad::mad: really sharply in a steep bend to a very abrupt atop :eek::eek::(OUCH... UGH.
IT SEEMS pretty good today but im not gonna push things.
Its another very cold start 10f and zero windchills
And atill not evrn gonna get anywhere near freezing .
Tomorrow will start a bit of a warm up...
To slightly above freezing during the day at least.
It can ALWAYS BE WORSE . A state of emergency in parts of csnada.
I SAW photos of some parts of Canada BURIED inThis last snow. Omg
People opened garage doors and looked out to snow 2/3up the door and buried cars...:eek::eek::eek:.

Where do you even TRY TO START. :rolleyes:o_Oo_O

So i guess I won't bitch about few inches...

Lol he sure does.. :)

And lol you csn see what he would look like as a snowflake appaloosa :p:p:p:p;)

No play yesterday I stepped in a hole sonny had made in a path of manure that time he went right out that back gate.
Being snow covered i forgot in had not filled in those footprint.
Ive been going other places out the gate.
When that foot went down ugh it slammed the other knee ..the one that bothers me..:mad::mad: really sharply in a steep bend to a very abrupt atop :eek::eek::(OUCH... UGH.
IT SEEMS pretty good today but im not gonna push things.
Its another very cold start 10f and zero windchills
And atill not evrn gonna get anywhere near freezing .
Tomorrow will start a bit of a warm up...
To slightly above freezing during the day at least.
It can ALWAYS BE WORSE . A state of emergency in parts of csnada.
I SAW photos of some parts of Canada BURIED inThis last snow. Omg
People opened garage doors and looked out to snow 2/3up the door and buried cars...:eek::eek::eek:.

Where do you even TRY TO START. :rolleyes:o_Oo_O

So i guess I won't bitch about few inches...
Ouch! Mind that knee and hope you don't get snowed under - literally!

@GaryB gosh I’m glad your groom was ok.
As for Harvey and the over the top jumps, that made me chuckle, I don’t jump Belle any more but when I did she was just the same, I think the smaller the jump the bigger she would go, well either that or she’d just plough through it!
And well done on the skinny, that was something we never really mastered, I got run outs every time I tried, to be fair to Belle that was most likely rider error.

A bit grey, damp and foggy today, but still a pleasant ride. Slow coach has perked up again! We took another different route, and he went well. When we arrived at the turning by the houses on the way home, there was a massive flatbed truck, picking up a car. Hogan was having none of it, so off I pop, little beggar walks past, led, no fear at all. :mad: Anyway, I found another makeshift mounting block, (little bollard) which though a little low, let's me do a mini vault on. Shocked Hogan a bit, - I think he thought he was going to cruise home, just being led.

Another grey morning, but dry - hurray! Decided to go round the outside of the inclosure, as we haven't done that since before Christmas. Spooky boy! A puddle :eek:, a branch :eek:, a stump :eek: and so on :rolleyes:. He spooks so differently to Ramsey - Ramsey would speed up and shoot sideways - almost closing his eyes and dashing past. Hogan glares at it from a distance, and slows and huffs, and huffs and slows, but he won't move sideways away from it - he just stares it down, daring it to do something. Otherwise, he did well, a couple of big trucks went by on the nearby road, and he didn't flinch. Must try to get out of the inclosure more.

The boys have had there quick lunges during the week, but i gave them Thursday morning off.
Today was a three mile hack with Billy. Got back and decided that it was too foggy to drive chunky so i decided to have a little hack on him. Only about 11/2 miles.
Got my phone out to get an ear shot photo.
IMG_20200125_161600.jpg

Then couldnt get my phone back in my pocket and managed to drop my whip in the process so had to get off. So couldnt resist some other pictures.

IMG_20200125_161644.jpg

IMG_20200125_161657.jpg

I managed to get up early this morning, and had a rather slow ride! However, on our homeward trot, came across a grey pony lurking in the bushes, which gave us both a shock. He did his usual glare, but was pretty good and trotted on. Just a hundred yards on a rider came round the corner and we nearly collided, and everyone got a shock! Turned out it was my friends daughter, so we chatted for a few minutes, and I waited for the tantrum when we left her - leaving other horses is not Hogans strong suit. What a little star! I'm pathetically pleased at such a tiny achievement, but it's progress - he didn't bat an eyelid, and we sauntered home.

Ever had that feeling that you just don't want to ride today? And then had that feeling backed up by a truly terrible ride? Well I had that feeling this morning - really REALLY not feeling it. Everything went wrong while we got ready, and I kept thinking " Just de-tack and go home." However, in the end, we just went, and all was well. I'm trying a giddy up rope (home made!), and I think it will work, but I have to hone my technique! We met my OH out with the dog - the dog had no idea where I was - I kept talking to him, and he just gazed around looking for me, and didn't register I was up there on the horse. Dumbo! Was trotting home to the yard, thinking, "This is nice - a good active trot!" And an owner from the next yard stopped her car and said "Oh, that looks like hard work!" Immediate deflation! Ah well, onwards and upwards. ;)

On Saturday I had another trip over to ride with my friend and her ex racers - this time one of the boys. It was a bit misty but had a nice hack round followed by a canter through the woods which we managed to keep nice and steady (the ex racers stil think they are racing!)

Sunday was mostly wet so I opted for a ride in the school. I've started to try and sort out my walk to canter transition (as it being able to do one!)

I forgot to take photos again, other than the present Harvey left for me in his stable!

IMG_0698-XL.jpg

Hacking
2 hours
7 miles

Schooling
25 minutes

Totals
Schooling
2 hours 25

Hacking
5 hours 20
19 miles