2021 Hacking and Riding

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
No riding today for chunky. His little rider came yesterday and we did nearly 4 miles. He had a good canter along the road side verge and actually made it nearly all the way before getting tired, so hes getting fitter. His rider even said he was quite forward. However when we were heading back down the hill to home he went very ploddy. Its very steep where we came down. Ironically i did think he walked down the bit of bank quite slow in the field as we were about to get the boys in.
Well i went to turn them back out after the ride and chunky just stopped and planted before we got into the field. Got him to walk on a bit, planted again. Get him into the field and he reluctantly walked on so instead of going down the first steep bit back to his paddock, i walked him across the bank. He then started to trot. Im like what the heck. Got down to a flatter section he walked across fine. Then going down the next steep bit he plants a further 2 times. Get him into his paddock and hes standing resting his back leg. I looked at his back and think you look swollen in your usual area. Ran my hand along his back and when i got to that point he shot forward. So something going on. Its as if something pinched him as i pressed. Going to ring the physio tomorrow and see if she can come out.

The strip grazing was on the flatest bit of field but to get to the water it was down the bank. Wonder if hes not had enough movement with having to keep Billy restricted. Ive moved the two boys up onto the flatter area of the field today. So theyve got an acre to walk around in now, rather than the strip grazing. Grass is shorter not the 8 inch fresh flush they were on so hopefully not so rich. Downside Billy can now charge round more. Eek. Boy was he doing so whilst we were trying to sort out a new water supply for the paddock.

Huggy

Nov 11, 2018
No riding today for chunky. His little rider came yesterday and we did nearly 4 miles. He had a good canter along the road side verge and actually made it nearly all the way before getting tired, so hes getting fitter. His rider even said he was quite forward. However when we were heading back down the hill to home he went very ploddy. Its very steep where we came down. Ironically i did think he walked down the bit of bank quite slow in the field as we were about to get the boys in.
Well i went to turn them back out after the ride and chunky just stopped and planted before we got into the field. Got him to walk on a bit, planted again. Get him into the field and he reluctantly walked on so instead of going down the first steep bit back to his paddock, i walked him across the bank. He then started to trot. Im like what the heck. Got down to a flatter section he walked across fine. Then going down the next steep bit he plants a further 2 times. Get him into his paddock and hes standing resting his back leg. I looked at his back and think you look swollen in your usual area. Ran my hand along his back and when i got to that point he shot forward. So something going on. Its as if something pinched him as i pressed. Going to ring the physio tomorrow and see if she can come out.

The strip grazing was on the flatest bit of field but to get to the water it was down the bank. Wonder if hes not had enough movement with having to keep Billy restricted. Ive moved the two boys up onto the flatter area of the field today. So theyve got an acre to walk around in now, rather than the strip grazing. Grass is shorter not the 8 inch fresh flush they were on so hopefully not so rich. Downside Billy can now charge round more. Eek. Boy was he doing so whilst we were trying to sort out a new water supply for the paddock.
Poor boy, hope it's not too bad.