2022 Hacking and Riding

What has got into them this week?! Sid, Hogan and now Ella! There's something in the ether!

I'd hazard a guess it's the grass growing - either the increased sugars or the increased potassium, but both can have huge effects in multiple ways in my experience.

Roll on more settled weather!

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Well, another good day for Hogan 😇. Lovely ride, pretty forward (eventually), with a teeny attempt at being grumpy, but he couldn't keep it up. I got to the gate where I get on at the yard (about 40 ft from the barn) and realised I'd forgotten to bring out my steps for mounting - but only after I carefully led him round and carefully lined him up beside the steps that weren't there :rolleyes:. Couldn't be faffed to go back, unlock the barn and get them, so got on on the trusty esso marker post in the inclosure!Screenshot_20220520-001039_Gallery.jpg

Well done Huggy to finding something to mount with. And a good boy to huggy to stand nice and still.

I've always dismounted I'd for some reason I felt the need to knowing I'd find something to use.

I've used fire hydrants.. light pole bases .
Even a Frisby Golf Goal at Borderland Park.

• Haha
Reactions: Huggy and Trewsers
My posts are REALLY boring atm! I suppose thats a good thing? Hogan very good, though doing his smash and grab when he gets the chance, the whole way round. We're going farther, by stretching the ride and extending to doing almost double the distance, but taking the same time to do it, so that means we're going faster - all good. Definitely making a difference slowing my rising - trots are longer and a lot more comfortable.

Reactions: GaryB
As long as your enjoying going out it doesnt matter if they seem boring.

Sounds great to me if your going double the distance.

Reactions: Huggy
My posts are REALLY boring atm! I suppose thats a good thing? Hogan very good, though doing his smash and grab when he gets the chance, the whole way round. We're going farther, by stretching the ride and extending to doing almost double the distance, but taking the same time to do it, so that means we're going faster - all good. Definitely making a difference slowing my rising - trots are longer and a lot more comfortable.
Never boring! :D

Oh what lovely ride I had this morning. Delayed by Sid being so full of grass that I had to go up a girth size, but he was fresh, forward and gorgeous from beginning to end. At the start we had a little chat about fresh being nice but bucking being nasty, and he said he wouldn't buck if I would just ride him properly. I did and he didn't, and we had some lovely powerful trots and one super canter, plus plenty of ambling along on the buckle in the gorgeous sunshine and the nice cool shade.

He is such a great ride when he goes well. He feels powerful with his big engine chugging away behind, and he's so comfortable. The friend I went out with says she couldn't ride a horse so wide and with so little wither, but he suits me!

I'm off on holiday for a week so I expect he will be even more fresh and forward when I get back....

Just for once i can say what is this excitable horse antics. Both mine were sleepy when they came in. Billy was so fast asleep i lifted his head on my shoulder and he just stood there resting. He plodded out in hand. I sent chunky and rider off for a canter. Billy stood head diwn munching grass. Never neighed, never looked up till chunky came down the track to rejoin us.
On the way back he did take offence on the footpath to someone wheeling a pushchair. So he shot forward to get away but i just told him no and he went back to dope on a rope. I can forgive him there wasnt much passing room. Im seriously wondering who sneaked in the field and doped him. He was so chilled. Guess its just the heat. There currently up on my lawn mowing. But not much movement so they must be sleeping again.

Robins halo fell off on Friday. He then stamped on the halo. He decided he would leave me there and head for home himself. I was cross. I had planned a very quick leg stretch only. I retrieved him quite happily snacking beside his girlfriends. No harm done apart from a swollen finger of mine. Got back on and went back to the scene of the crime giving him a very small box to be in.

So when we were meant to be going to a show yesterday I was anxious. I had kind of decided it would be a disaster. However if I didn’t go it would then be a “thing”. I had my groom and apprentice groom (her daughter) it was our usual place and so we went.

Started to warm up and then he decided he couldn’t possibly trot and in fact could only shuffle going slower than a walk. I asked my apprentice groom to grab a whip. I have not ridden him with a whip for years, he dosnt need it. He then became hugely over dramatic not allowing me to take the whip. However got it and suddenly he was mister helpful. I didn’t need to use it once.

Still was expecting spooky horse as I went in. But no he was great. He went on and started strutting. He did however suggest several times we should be cantering as he had read the test and I hadn’t. I was disappointed with score and didn’t quite agree with the judge for a few moves but got just under 60% and all I wanted was to not get decked so job done.

Did the next test. Felt it was much the same but judge gave us almost 67% (different judge) and we got 3rd. Again he felt we should be cantering so managed a 4 when we were meant to be trotting and managed an 8 for the final halt.

So halo restored.

Discussing the test and our tactics
01E0769E-4ABC-4116-90C5-E0DC1EDA3165.png

Last edited:
Lovely one again today - it's perfect atm - bright and sunny, but not too warm. Hogan is being so good, long may it last. HOWEVER - the stallions have been turned out, and there's at least one very close to the inclosure, - Lord knows what Mr bolshy would be like if we met one. I shall have to be vigilant - met one years ago out on Ramsey, and little sweetness and light that he was, took the stallion on - it was terrifying!Screenshot_20220524-205641_Gallery.jpg

Lovely one again today - it's perfect atm - bright and sunny, but not too warm. Hogan is being so good, long may it last. HOWEVER - the stallions have been turned out, and there's at least one very close to the inclosure, - Lord knows what Mr bolshy would be like if we met one. I shall have to be vigilant - met one years ago out on Ramsey, and little sweetness and light that he was, took the stallion on - it was terrifying!View attachment 111948
Wow bet that was an experience then with the stallion! I always wonder what they’d do. My neighbour had one but ours just seemed to ignore him and get on. Not sure what would have happened if they’d got in together mind.

I was out with a friend and her mare, and he came out of nowhere, trying to herd her. Ramsey whipped round, got himself between mare and stallion and struck out with his front legs - my life flashed before my eyes. Only me brandishing my whip and yelling, eventually put the stallion off. I was gobsmacked - Ramsey was such a gentle soul usually, utter wimp! I was actually (foolishly) rather proud of him that day.

I was out with a friend and her mare, and he came out of nowhere, trying to herd her. Ramsey whipped round, got himself between mare and stallion and struck out with his front legs - my life flashed before my eyes. Only me brandishing my whip and yelling, eventually put the stallion off. I was gobsmacked - Ramsey was such a gentle soul usually, utter wimp! I was actually (foolishly) rather proud of him that day.
Heck that would have sent me into a spin. Good boy Ramsey though, yes I’d have been proud too.

Reactions: Huggy
A quiet weekend for me. On Friday I jumped in the school with a bit of coaching by the YO.
Saturday was a solo hack and Sunday a hack with another livery

Harvey has been given a big paddock to mow. Happy boy!
i-MCF5CJb-X2.jpg

Schooling
30 minutes

Hacking
2 hours
8 miles

Totals

Schooling
11 hours 20

Hacking
192.5 miles
54 hours 30

Stormy this morning, but I do NOT get up at 6.30 for nothing, so we braved it. He was fine, but we came across a mare and foal, who I reckon had ducked into the inclosure to avoid the stallion, which sent me into high alert mode. Hogan, however was totally chilled, the only thing he was bothered about was trying to snatch grass. Aside of that, he was good as gold. This picture captures Hogan's priorities in life very eloquently.Screenshot_20220525-201817_Gallery.jpg

newrider.com