2022 Hacking and Riding

Lovely morning, despite the fact that I was again grumpy and tired. Hogan was really good, and by accident we discovered a new track. There are 2 that run parallel to each other, and one was blocked by 4 or 5 ponies, so I cut through to the other one - also blocked by ponies. I decided to turn back, and as I did I came across a track I'd never seen before - short but nice. All in all a successful ride.Screenshot_20220310-203759_Gallery.jpg

Sid and I went out with his neighbour Smartie, a big ex-event horse who's currently in training to try out for the GB TREC team. Smartie is lovely, a big softy. He and Sid stopped several times on the ride to put their faces together and really make friends, it was sweet!

Both horses were muppets, but fortunately at different times. Smartie said he had bones in his legs and couldn't walk, but Sid was happy to step out so Smartie trailed along behind. Then Sid said that every fallen tree on the Heath (there are many) was going to kill him, but Smartie said it was fine.

We even had a fantastic long canter. Smartie's sharer (another Jane) hadn't cantered him in company before, so she went ahead - he gets very competitive, apparently -with the most beautiful collected canter. He's a big, fit, athletic horse, though, so his collected canter was really quite fast. Sid didn't mind at all being behind - no suggestion that he wanted to catch up - but his little legs were going like the clappers. I stood in my stirrups, it feels so safe on Sid, and gave him all the rein he needed.

At the end Sid was in a total lather of sweat, despite yesterday's clip, and Smartie had not ONE PARTICLE of sweat marring his shiny bay coat. Er, I think my horse needs more fitness... He appreciated being sluiced down with buckets of water, though.

Lovely morning, despite the fact that I was again grumpy and tired. Hogan was really good, and by accident we discovered a new track. There are 2 that run parallel to each other, and one was blocked by 4 or 5 ponies, so I cut through to the other one - also blocked by ponies. I decided to turn back, and as I did I came across a track I'd never seen before - short but nice. All in all a successful ride.View attachment 110794
Those darned ponies;) glad you had a nice ride and found a new track.

Best boy again. He is back on form after a couple of off days. We hired a competition place that had a dressage arena set up inside and out. Shared with my friend with her horse who is very similar in all ways to Robin. Robin was absolutely brilliant. He worked so hard and tried so hard. Asking more of him and his connection and strength are improving quickly even tho we rarely school. They both had palpitations getting in the arena and the wheel barrow is still a killer but he was great. Even when Ty was leaping about spooking Robin wasn’t fussed. We then had a little walk round the outdoor to cool off as that is where our next tests will be (booked the indoor as it was forecast bad weather).

He was very pleased with himself and went back out and rolled and rolled ❤️
E7EAD791-F19D-4602-838F-5BA7BB9A65D8.jpeg984E290E-A61B-4622-A639-FDA11D77EAD5.jpeg89DA3509-FFDE-4CDF-9365-A07804C2E029.jpeg

Just got back from my booked hack. Totally different to sitting on my two. Much narrower horse, with an extremely long neck. Likes to ride with head on the floor. Im so use to riding with a horse with its head stuck in the air. I didnt really notice the narrowness of the horse as i was riding western. 4 of us went out. Horse was quite ploddy in walk. So i did feel like i was trying to coax him on a fair bit. Think my legs ill feel it tomorrow. But once we found trot i kind of had to feel the movement under me and quick. It also had a total different feel to the canter im use to. Our second little canter i did feel a bit behind the movement when it took off behind the other horses. We were on slightly uneven ground. Possibly even went off the wrong leg. I didnt actually ask, it just went. By the time we got to the top of the hill i was ok with the movement.

Definitely think ive been missing the hacking. Need to get out and do more. It would definitely do me good to sit on some different horses as well.

Amble out with 2 buddies today. The tb eventer couldn’t keep up even tho Robin was chilled. Tb did however keep randomly exploding which Robin ignored, even when tb decided to head plant into him (no one quite knew why). Tb was useful tho when we met the farmer planting a tree (the third time this week, once he realises who it is he’s not fussed) which meant Robin threw the tb in front of him to be eaten by the monster first, and hid behind him. Meanwhile the 5yo highland didn’t even try to keep up!

Clearly was too long out the saddle. Those leg muscles are complaining a little this morning. Ive no doubt it will get worse as the day goes on. 🤣 🤣🤣

Self inflicted. Only have myself to blame. Why did i choose to get back on a horse. Its like the morning after youve had a heavy drink session. You pay the next day.

Clearly was too long out the saddle. Those leg muscles are complaining a little this morning. Ive no doubt it will get worse as the day goes on. 🤣 🤣🤣

Self inflicted. Only have myself to blame. Why did i choose to get back on a horse. Its like the morning after youve had a heavy drink session. You pay the next day.
I'm pleased to hear you went riding again. For a second I was even tempted to go and book a ride somewhere. Not sure I could cope with the aching legs though.

Honestly @Mary Poppins its kind of revived me. I have been feeling really down about not finding another horse, prices and just wanting to give up. I kept saying to myself i ought to book lessons as it would bring my riding on, but each time i had lessons with the boys in the past it made me feel like i was a crap rider. I actually got so upset at a couple i cried because i struggled to understand what was being asked. It a learning issue ive struggled with my whole life. So booking lessons now when im feeling low that i cant find another isnt the right time.
Like you hacking is my thing, my comfort. Im sure if i could learn how to school i would enjoy it more. Ive told myself that when i get my new horse we will have lessons. Its what i intended to do with Billy when i got him but circumstances hampered all that.
Where i went yesterday i know the people, i work for them in my day job. Ive taken billy over there for a lesson and hacked a little of the route we went yesterday. Its the other side of the valley to where i live.
Im actually tempted to book at another riding school that does hacks. Would be hacking in a completely unfamiliar place, which might be quite nice i reckon. Although in someways i do like to have a rough idea of areas im haking in case of emergency.

Oh, what a fun ride I had today. Sid and I went out for the first time with another of the liveries at our little yard, Alice, and her mare Abby. Abby is a pretty-as-a-picture palomino 89% Arab. She's 10, but was a broodmare until last Autumn and Alice only started her under saddle in January. We're taking them out as a couple in the hopes that they will do the sponsored ride with us on Good Friday.

Abby is very very forward and when the tracks were broad she mostly danced along in front (she is hot, too!) but Sid led when things were narrow or tricky. He loved being out with Abby and was very chilled although the pace was quite fast for him. We went by a route that involves a long canter track, and Alice (who is only 23) was keen to give Abby a go at it, so they went in front and Sid came along behind.

I was really surprised at how much effort he put in to that canter. He really did not want to be left behind! He stayed in canter, but only just, and I could really feel that big motor pushing away. Such fun, he is so good that I could stand in my stirrups and give him rein and let him really run.

At the top we slowed and crossed a path where there is a log, just a solid little log about 60cm high I suppose. Alice called over her shoulder, "Gonna pop the log!" and after she and Abby cleared it I swallowed hard and pointed Sid at it. He trotted towards it, ears locked on and the most perfect little pop, landing in canter. He loved it! My first proper log!

I suppose jumping isn't hard when it goes right - Sid knows exactly what to do and Alice (who was watching us) said he is very neat and careful, which is what the dealer said about him when I bought him. And it was only a little log. But it feels like a big thing to me, and I was over the moon all the way home.

When I got home my husband had just tested positive and when I retested myself, having been all clear last Friday, I was positive too. But what the hell! I jumped a log!

The rain that turned to snow Saturday DID mostly melt thru Sunday and yesterday was a bit warmer to help things along.
By the end of the day the footing seemed a bit better again so I played.

I had to be really careful he was a little full of himself and my husband was trying to catch up in ANDI'S area and Sonny was setting her off.

I hope we have turned the corner for some grass to start.

20220314_180225.jpg

The rain that turned to snow Saturday DID mostly melt thru Sunday and yesterday was a bit warmer to help things along.
By the end of the day the footing seemed a bit better again so I played.

I had to be really careful he was a little full of himself and my husband was trying to catch up in ANDI'S area and Sonny was setting her off.

I hope we have turned the corner for some grass to start.

View attachment 110873
I love how spritely Sonny is, he's well into double digits age wise isn't he?

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Another weekend of wind - I'm so done with it now, roll on Summer (and I promise not to complain about the flies!)
On Friday we went on our bridleway hack alone. I'm now cantering at the few places I can and trotting more to get us both fit for fun rides

On Saturday I was on grooming duty for my friend L who has now moved up to the Discovery class (100/110cm). She rode well and got a double clear and seventh place. Afterwards Harvey and I went round the bridleway hack again.

Sunday was (surprise!) a SJ clinic. I rode with L and a new girl I hadn't met before and it was a really nice group. It was mostly ok apart from the bit when I went into a fence with not enough impulsion and I got catapulted off.

The new warm up for the competition was nice (this it taken from the middle!)
i-tQ4QfJ4-XL.jpg

L after her round
i-7X8W9fg-XL.jpg

Harvey making 100cm look small!
i-3sZFXjF-X2.jpg

i-HH34FLT-X2.jpg

Oops!
i-Z8zdNPd-X2.jpg

Looking determined (this was the second go at the fence I fell off at!)
i-j9sdHq3-X2.jpg

i-WtgCwV9-X2.jpg

I think Harvey knows where we are going next!
i-B6jvrkC-X2.jpg

i-kXS9VXH-X2.jpg

Schooling
45 minutes

Hacking
2 hours
8 miles

Totals
Schooling
6 hours 5

Hacking
97.5 miles