2024 Hacking Thread

Two lovely rides on two successive days.

Yesterday we went solo on a long hack around St Martha's. 6 miles took us 2 hours 20 minutes, which seems very slow, but (1) there was 1000ft of elevation and descent, and (2) we spent at least 30 minutes chatting to Sid's admirers, who seem to be everywhere.

Sid's field mate Sonne had gone for a walk earlier and as we set off Sid found and sniffed one of her poos. He immediately started to fret that she wasn't there and called and called, and when he reached the point where she had turned off the road he followed her scent like a bloodhound. He didn't complain when I steered him onwards though, just kept on sending out horse radio signals every ten minutes or so.

Here we are heading down to the Chilworth railway bridge from home, with St Martha's Hill in the distance. Doesn't look too steep, does it? It is!
tempImageFgNJ2f.png

We crossed the railway line, the road and the Tillingbourne then headed up the steep winding track to the main path over the hill. St Martha's has a Norman church on the top and never a road. The track was made at one point with bricks, cobble setts and other things. It is now decrepit and tricky. Sid avoided the issue by finding places to put his feet up the side of the path.

The reason I chose this route is that in two weeks there is a special service in the churchyard for people who ride in the Surrey Hills. It's called the Blessing of the Horses and if you take your horse there he can be blessed too. I think we might go and I wanted to practice.

Halfway up there's a nice view towards Dorking over paddocks which back in the days when we had winters used to be used by locals for skiing practice!

tempImagexsKiIH.png

Then another quite steep climb brings you up the track to the church. We stopped at the church and I got off to give him a break - he was very sweaty. There were many Admirers.

tempImageKAZFYB.png

The views at the top out towards the South Downs and the sea are wonderful, and visibility was very good.

tempImagevIuRbd.png

tempImagebjBdoN.png

Sid said he would quite like to take the direct route home. He had stopped calling but it felt that he had gone far enough. So I led him down the hill by a very, very direct route, straight down the steepest side. It is 1 in 3 or possibly even steeper in places, narrow and difficult even for humans. Sid made nothing of it, just followed me down like a very large and hairy mountain goat.

I hopped on at the bottom and we went on home by way of the main road level crossing, which once again was down for a train. Sid waited patiently in the traffic for the train to pass, crossed the crossing without a glance and turned on to the pavement to let a few motorbikes pass him. He honestly didn't care.

We were only on the main road for about 50m beyond the crossing then headed off onto the bridleway. There is a choice or routes home and I let Sid decide. He chose the more direct but steeper and muddier route and chose to trot up most of it! I stood in my stirrups and let him get on with it.

Before too long we were back on our home Heath. Here he is pointing out that this is a good canter spot...

tempImageh3WuRa.png

Shortly after I got off to lead him home. He was hot and sweaty but didn't seem tired at all. He has lots of stamina. And my goodness, what a brave good hacking horse he is.

Here's a screenshot of our route from the OS App:

1711895140907.png

Today's ride was tame by comparison as we went out with Sid's friend Smarty, ridden by his sharer, who is my age and beginning to feel that hacking a fit, eager competition horse (Smarty is the current TREC GB national champion) is getting a bit much for her and perhaps a Sid would be better. Sid was also a bit slow after yesterday's marathon, so we were sedate. But it happens to be my third anniversary of getting Sid today, so we celebrated by visiting the ride-through coffee trailer in the old pub car park. The flat white was delicious and Sid got a piece of flapjack!

tempImage6b2uII.png

tempImagelXJt86.png

Altogether a great weekend out and about with my best bud.

Last edited:
Your weekend ride looks amazing!! Ive done some of that, including the church, as a walk and went to the gunpowder mills by the river too!

Now i really am super jealous of your riding. Thats just amazing.

We managed to get out today and she was in a super loving friendly mood. We've had two days of dry weather, it makes all the difference to her needing a snorkel or not! And we know she doesn't DO damp! She would be one of those types that would opt for stable given the choice.

So out we went. That's T he's recovering from lami, there are others struggling with abscess after abscess after abscess.
collage-1711902773683.jpg

Havent done much recently but got the boys in yesterday for a good groom. Moulting like a snow storm. Billy was a little smelly when i took his rug off. Think hes been sweating underneath it. Went out for a little in hand walk to the end of the road and back. Chunky his usual just plod on behind us, trotted at one point to catch us up.
Today managed to get them out again. Well took Billy for a walk. Chunky looked too lame so i shut the drive gate and left him wandering the garden. He was miffed that he wasnt joining us. Could hear calls from him all the way down the road. Billy was really good, had a stash of treats in my pocket to reward him for targeting. He even walked along stretching his neck right down to the floor, his nose couple of inches from the ground. His front feet as he stepped forward practically kicking himself in the chin. He got a little tense as we turned for home. Started to rush getting twitchy, trying to rub his face on his leg. Stopped him, backed him and eventually settled, going back to putting his head right down. I really must try harder to get him out more. Just havent found my mojo yet.

Another trip today, a bit different though. We went as nanny to Sonne and my friend Alice's new little mini cob Toryn on a trip down to the Tillingbourne and a splash in the water. I went on the bareback pad to give Sid a change.

It was fun and he was good as gold as always. He would have had a roll in the stream if I had let him, though!

I don't know what I was thinking about when I wrote my earlier post. We did have a nice time, but there was a real crisis when Sonne followed Sid into the water, enjoyed it, happily splashed deeper and deeper, and then jumped out onto the steep bank in the no-horses section rather than following Sid out of the ford entrance. Christine tried to coax her back into the water but jumping out is easier for a big 3 yo than jumping in, and after 10 minutes of trying she gave up. She was right to, as Sonne was starting to be upset - she wanted to obey, but just couldn't do it.

The alternative was for me to get off Sid ,who had been waiting patiently in the water (apart from the moment when he got excited, pawed the water mightily and buckled his front legs as if he was going to roll!) trying to lure Sonne back in, and give his reins to Alice, then show Christine the way round through the no-horses section to the pedestrian gate. We thought she might not want to leave the others but she was good as gold - she really trusts Christine. We met at the gate (which was a squeeze for a big horse but she did it fine) and Sid looked anxiously for me as we approached and whuffled when I took his reins.

After all that the road home was a stroll in the park!

Just a walk today, as he was soaking after a night of heavy rain. He marched out quite the thing, and kept up a good pace the whole way. I think we're both getting a bit fed up with the mud though - will this rain never go away for more than 12 hours!

Reactions: GaryB
Wet, windy, soaked and cold, but I had a great time šŸ˜‚
The tourists are not weatherproof, so they all vanish.

We spotted a herd of five at 10 oclock, we both glanced and kept going. She had a second glance and I corrected, she decided on a third glance and I corrected and backed up my request.
I had the herd in the corner of my eye and noted one with a head up, then all of them with heads up, then heads back down. Mine didn't look again - horsey eyeballs meeting is when things can escalate. Someone always has to nicker!
We then meet the riding school another set of five. Bless her she didn't even glance, that's a first for her.

I want to repeat this route up to five times a week now. I have the farrier coming next and I feel she can be doing more walks.
collage-1712073645350.jpg

Yesterday we went solo on a long hack around St Martha's
That looks like a really great ride. I had a little look just to see which area of the country it was as it looked so nice and was surprised to find you are just down the road from where we rehomed my old share horse - he is at Hydestyle. Small world!

Reactions: Huggy
The long weekend didn't start well when my planned hack with C had to be cancelled due to rain (again!)
On Friday I had a hack round the bridleway which unsurprisingly was very muddy
On Saturday I decided I would have a nice trip onto the hill in the sun. See below for more!
Sunday was a quick play in the school and Monday another trip round the bridleway

Not a good start Harvey! (he rolled as I went to fetch him from the field)
i-fQNT8WG-X2.jpg

Starting the climb - Harvey hates this concrete surface
i-bGxJZ4D-X2.jpg

There is a flat section half way
i-5rjcx4V-X2.jpg

More uphill :)
i-mN2N8BJ-X2.jpg

Hmm - we have a problem
i-GdjCjkr-XL.jpg

I knew how to get round this, but also amazingly there was a signed diversion route
More climbing...
i-Hv3CtJH-X2.jpg

Made it :)
i-zCXVrw6-X2.jpg

Hacking
14 miles
4 hours 30

Schooling
20 minutes

Totals
Hacking
198 miles
59 hours 15

Schooling
2 hour 20

Reactions: Huggy and Tir
Lovely pictures from everyone, i love the contrast of windy swept beach to sunny hilltop!

Ive been hacking loads over the bank holiday, but same old same old as it had just started to dry out, but then what do ya know it rained some more!

Reactions: Huggy and GaryB
That looks like a really great ride. I had a little look just to see which area of the country it was as it looked so nice and was surprised to find you are just down the road from where we rehomed my old share horse - he is at Hydestyle. Small world!
Oh I know Hydestyle. Nice hacking there too!

Reactions: GaryB
Can a horse get a stitch, asking for a friend šŸ˜‚
The friend did after jogging up the hill, me thinks she's unfit.

• Haha
Reactions: Huggy
Remarkably good little lad today. Windy, with 35 - 40 mph gusts, and we tootled round no problem. There are places in the inclosure that create a wind tunnel, and it sounds like a train coming at you, but didn't seem to faze him. We had a good few trots, despite the mud. If I'd listened more to the wind when I got up this morning, I don't think I'd have risked it, but I'm glad I did. He was sleepy when we got back!Screenshot_20240406_122558_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240406_122533_Gallery.jpg

Reactions: GaryB and Jessey
newrider.com