20kg feed bags

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
When are companies going to realise this is way too big for those of us with ponies!
You could say ponies do not need feeding- but they are aiming products at 14hh and hacking/ leisure riders.

She would only require 10kg of beet /chaff if that just to nibble over winter.
Others feed cereal and it's a no go. It goes off and you have to throw away.

Be careful lifting big bags too. I hurt my back and shoulder not long ago heaving a sack into a feed bin. One of those times when I should have asked for some man power:p

Hmm I go through a 20kg bag of pellets in two weeks and a dengue chaff in less than a month.

Scarey that if you feed to their advise a bag of chaff should last one horse a week same as hard feed

Think yourself lucky. The sheep feed bags are 25kgs. If I have 8-10 at a time it nearly kills me loading in the shop onto the trolley, then into the car and out at home. They carrying them down a long flight of steps and round to the feed store.
Horse food bags are a breeze. But I know what you mean. In summer, with the heat it gets cereal mite. So they are funny about eating it and it goes to waste. I try not to have too much in summer.

Got two free samples so far. She licked the bowl, so looking for a pellet form of something for a sprinkling over winter.
Gosh I said the W word.

Got two free samples so far. She licked the bowl, so looking for a pellet form of something for a sprinkling over winter.
Gosh I said the W word.

Reactions: Trewsers
There's a few 'complete' options, that are a chaff with some pellets all in one, and think they are often 15kg, those are generally aimed at the better doers.

A 20kg bag of mash has lasted the little boys since the end of April and I've got about another weeks worth to go. They are meant to be fed 200g a day each for the RDA to ensure they are getting enough vits/mins. I've had them on 100g-ish through summer as it was the veteran one as was meant for Jess but she won't eat it. 200g isn't a lot, less than a small cup full. I've got fast fibre for their next bag so they can go to the 200g then.

newrider.com