3 months off.

Lorenzo

Sep 7, 2019
I've been riding for a few months. I had 3 months off and then one lesson before another 3 weeks off because of the storms. Yesterday's lesson just felt bad. I had to be reminded of everything, which I feel like I should know.
Nothing went wrong, it's just I kept bumping up and down when I canter, which I know I shouldn't do.

Don't be too disheartened - you haven't really been riding long enough to have that "muscle memory". A few more lessons and it'll feel like you never had a break from it.

Reactions: Jessey
Yes, what she says :) And even when you're riding regularly you'll have good days and bad days. Sometimes you just have to take the rough with the smooth lol.

Reactions: Huggy
Agreed, it takes time to build muscle memory. As for sweating, riding can be hard work, it's not just the horse doing all the work and the rider just sitting there as non-riders often think, you have to be pretty fit to ride well.

Agreed, it takes time to build muscle memory. As for sweating, riding can be hard work, it's not just the horse doing all the work and the rider just sitting there as non-riders often think, you have to be pretty fit to ride well.
My instructor told me I was unfit because I sweat a lot. I felt like telling her to watch Rafael Nadal because he's dripping before even playing. Obviously I'm not as fit as q tennis player, but sweating isn't a indicator of fitness.

My instructor told me I was unfit because I sweat a lot. I felt like telling her to watch Rafael Nadal because he's dripping before even playing. Obviously I'm not as fit as q tennis player, but sweating isn't a indicator of fitness.
Well generally you sweat less the fitter you get, but person A and person B will sweat a different amount in the beginning so it isn't something you can use in isolation to judge fitness. Professionals sweating before playing will have been warming up for quite some time before going onto a pitch/court/field, so how sweaty they are to start with probably has very little to do with their fitness level. Same as top horses competing, they have often been worked for 2 hours before they go into their class (from an Olympic vet) so they are often quite hot (warmed up) before they start.

Well generally you sweat less the fitter you get, but person A and person B will sweat a different amount in the beginning so it isn't something you can use in isolation to judge fitness. Professionals sweating before playing will have been warming up for quite some time before going onto a pitch/court/field, so how sweaty they are to start with probably has very little to do with their fitness level. Same as top horses competing, they have often been worked for 2 hours before they go into their class (from an Olympic vet) so they are often quite hot (warmed up) before they start.
So the more I do it, the less i'll sweat. I'm going to get a base layer anyway to help combat the wet feeling and Some different deodorant, someone on a different forum mentioned

newrider.com