54 inches - shorter than I thought

Feawen

Jan 12, 2012
I impulse-bought a lovely pair of stirrup leathers today, but had a moment of daftness over the length. Have the receipt so could return them, but the shop is miles away.

Any recommendations for leathers that come in longer lengths?

I am only 5'4" and brought 54" leathers last time and I really should have gone bigger, 58" maybe, as I'm on the 3rd or 4th hole from the end and it makes the loose end annoying as it's so short. I'd expect pretty much all leathers to come in the longer lengths, no suggestion on good ones, I went with synthetic as had a synthetic saddle at the time and they haven't lasted well (2 years and they show significant wear), certainly not as well as my previous 20+ year old leather pair!

I'm only 5'5'' myself, but reckon I'd be on the very first hole for flatwork and the 2nd or 3rd for hacking etc in Levi's dressage saddle. In a gp I'd get away with riding a bit shorter without my knees going over the front. I have long thighs, like a frog!

Back go the short stirrups and I've just ordered some 58" ones online - leather with a nylon core so they don't stretch.

I used to have a pair of these, but they disappeared off D's unused saddle and reappeared on my Mum's a while back :D. She will have bought them for me in the first place so I can't complain <3

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com