70's night out help needed

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
On Friday night I am having a rare night off my horse and going out! It’s not exactly my kind of thing, but my sons school are holding a ‘mama mia’ singalong night. We have to dress up in 70’s clothes and sing along to mama mia all night!

Luckily it is bring your own alcohol and is within walking distance of my house so my aim is to have a few drinks and make the best of it. I don’t know many people going but the school have been so good in looking after my son with his ongoing illness that I need to support them in everyway I can.

The big question is – what do I wear and how do I do my hair and make-up. I get in a 5:45pm – have to get 2 children fed, bathed and in bed, and myself dressed and ready by 7pm – all on my own! My plan is to get in the bath with the kids and get them to help me get ready. Hopefully they will enjoy dressing mummy up.

I don’t have much choice when it comes to clothes, I have a really bright dress type top (it’s pink, flowerly and flowing) so I thought that I would wear that with leggings. I thought that I would do my hair with plaits down the side (I have reasonably long blonde hair) but I’m stuck on make up. I don’t normally wear any so am clueless. Any tips on what will look ‘70’s’ or any other accessories would be appreciated. I am stuck for shoes as my feet expanded when I was pregnant and now I live in either flip flops, crocs or riding boots. I’m not sure any of them will be suitable!

Platform soled shoes!lol, they are the only thing I remember! I am 42 so wasn't that old in the 70's but do remember my eldest sister having some ugly platform shoe thingies. And of course, I remember her having flared pants too. I got them eventually circa 1983 when they'd long gone out of fashion (oh the shame!!)
Have a good night btw. I think bright blue eyeshadow was quite big too!

Yep, I spent many a school disco in the 70's done up in badly applied bright blue eyeshadow. I seem to remember the Blonde one from ABBA used to smear glitter on her cheekbones as well. With your long hair, a couple of plaits, blue eyeshadow and some glitter I'm sure you will look bees knees!

Naturally, we are expecting PHOTOS......:bounce:

Yeah, it was LOTS of makeup in the 70's........bright eyes and slightly pale lips.........

Platforms or those horrendous white PVC boots :bounce:

Yep, I spent many a school disco in the 70's done up in badly applied bright blue eyeshadow. I seem to remember the Blonde one from ABBA used to smear glitter on her cheekbones as well. With your long hair, a couple of plaits, blue eyeshadow and some glitter I'm sure you will look bees knees!

Naturally, we are expecting PHOTOS......:bounce:

All of the above. And maybe tie a long scarf around your head like the blonde one used to?

I'm sat at work painting my nails bright red. I have no idea if that is 70's and I haven't painted my nails for about 10 years. It's not very easy - I look like my fingers have been chopped and are covered in blood.

newrider.com