A bit angry:(

chickflick1066

May 7, 2004
West Yorkshire
With myself really:(

Decided to go riding in the fields with another girl, one to check the fencelines, and two to have a good blast. Well, it didn't really happen. After warming up Stumps was a bit full of herself, so much so she bucked a few times till i came off. Didn't really help the girl i was with laughed at me.

Another girl who was walking on foot with us is more confident than me, despite being 7 years younger. So once I'd got back on, confidence a bit dented. After a while, other rider suggested N got on so Stumpy so she could gallop her with confidence.

Well K and N left, 5 mins later I hear Stumps and other horse come pelting round corner...Stumps neck and neck with huge 16hander! They came to a halt and the first thing they say "You never would've stayed on her then"...well that made me feel just fab :(

So I say, "Oh can I get back on now, have a little trot and then cool her down.

N "In a minute" *giggles*

Me: Please, I want her back now

N: "In a minute i'm taking her up here"

Me by now, v peed off so walked off because N wouldn't give me horse back. I got very upset over it for some bizarre reason. 15mins later, hay and water all ready for Stumps to return, still no horses so I call and say "Where are you?" clearly not happy.

N: "Oh we decided to leave Stumps out without a rug on so she can roll"

Me: A bit angry now "Well who said you could do that, I never said you could"

N and K together: "Don't blame us" etc.

So stupidly I hung up the phone in anger, and went home.

Was the whole event my own fault for even letting Stumps get the better of me that someone else had to ride her? :(

Not happy :(

Of course it's not your fault. One, she didn't get the better of you. Yes, you fell off, but you got back on again so she didn't "win" at all! Secondly they didn't have to ride her, it was you being sensible. How dare they refuse to let you back on your own horse! :mad:
You did nothing wrong at all, I would either seriously talk to these girls or not ride with them again.

ok I can see why giving her a good gallop to take the steam out of her would have worked but honestly you can achieve the same by finding a good steep hill and walking/trotting up it! if Rosie is feeling uppity, I just head for a hill.

I almost fell off today myself, so I sympathise.

They should have returned her when you asked, and actaully when I came back, because it was much milder, I let Rosie out without a rug so she could get filthy! Which she did. But that should have been your decision. I let her out to have a roll as a reward for being good after she almost dropped me!

Big Ears, I wouldv'e let them let her roll, if they'd ASKED. It was a lovely day, although it turned really quickly into rain and is now pouring.

The girl phoned me, she's bought her in, groomed her and given her some hay - now I really do feel guilty.

A similar thing happened to me last year - I was having a few problems jumping, a "friend" asked to get on and "show me what to do". He was actually a friend of the person who owned the horse - I couldn't stand him. After 10 minutes I asked for my horse back and was just ignored. After about half an hour of him "showing me" how high he could jump he got bored and handed me back a tired sweaty horse. I was so upset and managed to just get out of sight before bursting into floods of tears. I felt totally and utterly useless! I was new to the yard, didn't know anyone and for some reason didn't feel confident to stand up for myself.

These days (18 months later) no one gets on my pony unless I ask them to and if I didn't get him back when I asked I would go crazy. Stumpy is your horse and the rider should have handed him back to straight away. How dare she ignore you. As for laughing at you when you fell off - I would find someone else to ride with in future!

chickflick1066 said:
she's bought her in, groomed her and given her some hay - now I really do feel guilty.

Sounds like she's feeling guilty herself -- and so she should! What a rotten way to behave.

Definitely not your fault, so you shouldn't be feeling guilty.

Don't feel guilty! I'm cross for you, and I wasn't there! When you've very kindly let them play with YOUR horse, they absolutely should not behave like that. For a start, they should have given her back when you asked. They don't sound the nicest people in the world anyway - no-one needs laughing at when they've had an accident.

It does sound as though they were trying to make amends, though, by giving her a good grooming - so maybe they've thought about it a bit and realised they'd behaved badly. Next time they want to borrow her, for whatever reason, I'd be inclined to say no, if it were me - at the very least specify that they've got to hand her over when you say so!

Can you find someone more sympathetic to ride with? You could really do with someone you can trust to do the right things if something goes wrong, I think.

Ross

You needed support and instead you were made to feel small. Of course you were angry and upset :( I really feel for you. Maybe you should take a few steps back and work at a level you know that you are in charge of until she settles down a little. All this bucking and misbehaving is bound to dent your confidence. It doesn't make you a wimp to be concerned about it, it means you're sensible!

Me thinks I need to hurry up and find something to ride!
Are there any possibilities at the yard?
I would be a very nice person to hack out with! :)

I'll sort them out

We'll show them when I'm down that you are a good rider and you are confident on Stumps and you don't need their help.
You and me both Lucinda! Girl Power :D

Seriously though, big hugs- i think these people were well out of order... :(

Dont worry, in that situation I'd have decked them. If you ask them to get off YOUR horse, then they should. It's not their choice when they get off. You asked them and they should obey.

I feel quite angry just reading it.

And it was pretty nasty of them to belittle you with the 'you wouldn't have stayed on' comment. Somebody at my yard was laughing about my riding ability a while back. Thing is they had been riding for over 10 years and I had just been riding 2 years. I'm often in the same lesson as them now anyway. Just shrug it off and laugh at them when they next fall off or get into a sticky situation. It may not be right but it makes you feel a hell of a lot better!

Last edited:
thats deffinatly not your fault! if i was u i wouldnt let them ride your horse again! cos there just taking the pee reallyy! everyones confidence is different when riding, if your not confident galloping then dont, but dont let someone elses, xxxxx:)

that made me mad reading it. I hate other people riding lady unless i like the way they ride her and i dare say if i had of let someone on her and they refused to hand her back i'd have been furious!:mad: Probably to the point that i'd have pulled her off kicking and screaming!

don't get me wrong im just insanely protective of her and hate anyone overminding me. shes MY horse and if i fall off, which i do:rolleyes: i don't need someone laughing at me. it makes me mad with them not her. if she bucks and i fall off i get straight back on and ride her around exactly what you did. so good on you for getting back on!:D

does this other girl own a horse?

yes letting her ride your horse fine but not giving your horse back what and then doing what ever they wanted afterwards is even worse any way seems like that girl is feeling a bit guilty her self so at least they didn't hurt stumps or put her in any danger.

i had thing happen to me but its not really all that similar to yours but it just shows how rude or i don't know the word that i am looking for but any way i was leasing this arab that hadn't been ridden for a while(3 years) and the owners never came out and saw it but they also wouldn't sell it either.so i leased it, this boy had a few problems he like to canter and wouldn't stop,he didn't know whoa he just kept moving, he reared up during tacking up and sometimes when i was taking the tack off and he was an over eater fat short horse. so i got him in shape and slowly tried working on whoa and slowing down, we started collecting and finished collecting any way he was ready for the shows and guess what the lady found out she wanted to ride again after 3 years of no one caring to 6 months of someone leasing and getting your horse back in shape geesh i would say what a good deal for the owners sake 160 dollars a month for some kid to ride your horse and retrain it for you where do i sign up lol i didn't even get a thanks

newrider.com