a bit of a whirlwind of events

CharliesAngel

Jan 15, 2010
so since i last posted about how much i have been enjoying my little 13hh highland a few things have happened! I bought her really over a year ago as a 4 year thinking she ‘might' be a project.. hoping she would grow. I loved her to bits and a bit of everything with her but she just refused to grow past 13hh. I learned a huge amount bringing her on and this summer we started to do a fair bit more jumping. She went clear round a little 1ft6-2ft XC and was a wee star but i found that doing more courses, trying to go higher she was still keen but balance was a huge issue for both of us and we narrowly missed a couple of crashing falls. There is no way I would either of our necks so I resigned myself to doing everything else she loves, hacking mainly as otherwise she took up my leg really well, it was more my upper body. A friend asked me why I didn’t sell her now she was really up and going and I admit it got me thinking. I didn’t see a huge market to be honest as she is quite strong and can be opinionated so really needs a small adult but I decided to write up an ad and just play it by ear. I learned a huge amount from having her and also have another young Highland who I bought as well to back and bring on, she is coming on well with her handling and groundwork and going gently on the longlines, she’s 14hh so a better size really. My wee Highland was great on the leadrein for my little boy but realistically he has his own shetland to ride and a strong 13hh Highland was a long way off for him!

Anyway, 2 days later my little girl was sold to a perfect home, a lady who just wanted a small highland for hacking and has had the breed all her life.

I guess fate took a hand but I really couldn’t face horse hunting, my other Highland wont be under saddle until next year though. A couple of friends sent me adverts and one popped up about 45 mins away. A young cob x that had been bought at the sales in Ireland last year and has been a project, still young (5) and green but from the ad sounded like he was at the stage my own little mare had been at. Turns out a couple of friends knew the people, knew who had seen him at the sales and so I popped over to see him. Liked him but thought hugely sceptically that NOTHING in the horse world is ever this easy and went off to think about it. Went back a week later and had a lesson on him, (he jumps :D,) and took him for a hack... and well, picked him up a day later!

Keep pinching myself tbh, did all this just happen ?! - like I said, things are never this easy so I feel very lucky that for once, things have worked out easily. He’s settled really well and seems to just be taking everything in his stride :D

IMG_2658_zpswf28quz8.jpg

IMG_2700_zpse71bbhi0.jpg

newrider.com