A brilliant but sad day draghunting.

Sunshine-x

Jul 31, 2008
Bear with me, this may be long but want to get it all out.

Today I took my blackpony to the draghunt opening meet. I clipped her last night so she was looking very smart, got her all plaited up this morning and we were both very excited. Unboxed at the meet and had a nice chat to people, so nice to be back.

We set off on the first line, were cantering along having a blast and then 500 yards in front of me a horse goes down. And I mean down. I pull up, throw pony at nearest person, rider is trapped under horse and horse is dead. Try to keep person calm whilst yelling for help. Couple more regulars come over and we get the saddle off horse and horse rolled over to free rider. Rider in shock, keeps saying shes killed her horse, very hard to comfort someone like that. Eventually I get her sat down next to her horse, the rest of the field bar a handful sent away and get on the phone. Luckily one of the regulars is a vet so she was trying to explain to the poor woman that it wasn't her fault, her horse must have had a weakness and the heart attack could have happened at any time. I'm trying to tell her that at least her horse was doing what it loved, it would have felt no pain and it wasn't her fault. In this kind of situation there isn't really anything you can say to help, you just have to try and keep them calm. Eventually we get a few foot followers over, one of which lost their horse the same way 2 seasons ago. It must have been tough for him to sit with her and the horse and try and reassure her, but he was the best person for the job. I eventually managed to have things under control re horse and what was to be done with it and got back on my pony.

Had to play catchup then to the rest of the field so took a few shortcuts. I then skipped part of the next line as it was all hedges so no point on my wee pony! The third line however was great fun. Was flying along jumping everything! Came to a nice big ditch and blackpony popped over beautifully. Then heard a shout of 'loose horse' to see a big bay coming towards me so managed to grab it after everyone else stood there looking at it! By the time I managed to return the horse everyone had gone on ahead so I had to lead the stragglers over a big ditch off the road which luckily blackpony popped over lovely.

Bit more galloping, few more jumps and ditches, then we got to the bog ditch! Put blackpony over it nice and handy and then guess what another cry of 'loose horse' and this time a little bay came towards me. Managed to grab that and hang on as it kept trying to bite my pony. That had a nice big cut on its chest where it had been through barbed wire. Turns out its rider was unconcious and the air ambulance was on its way. Sent bay horse off with a foot follower and we continued on our way. Rider now apparently fine.

Last line was fantastic, all old parkland. Hounds were flying and so we set off in hot pursuit. Plenty of nice timber to jump and we flew round, with me grinning the whole way. Pulled up at the end to hack back to the boxes just in time to see some kids pony gallop past without a bridle and without its child lol! It went straight back to its trailer and was waiting on the ramp when we got back!

It was a very eventful day and it did really make me appreciate my pony and the fun I have with her, if there hadn't been all the incidents it would possibly have been the best days hunting I've ever had with her. She was on fantastic form and I couldn't stop grinning. I love that pony tons! I do seem to get caught up in the middle of everything out hunting, guess its just instinct now, you've got to get situations under control as quick as you can, and I've had plenty of experience now with it all. The poor woman with her horse at the start of the day, I do really feel for her. It certainly made me give my pony an extra kiss tonight. Things are never dull with me are they!

I promise draghunting isn't usually like that, I've painted a bad picture but its usually tons of fun and not usual to have horse fatalities and bad casulties!

Blimey, that was an action packed day.

You really seem to have your wits about you. Well done you. And I'd love to see you flying over those jumps!

You must have been on the same hunt as my friend. She said yesterday a horse dropped dead at the first jump, lots of rider-less horses and a friend took a bad fall but luckily seems to be okay (possibly broken collarbone but maybe just bruising - I'm not entirely sure).

Bad day at the hunt. I have to say it's put me off a little.

Roxys mum this horse wasnt at a jump, was in the middle of a field cantering. And no one with broken collarbones, just someone concussed. So possibly different hunts but hopefully the same as too many fatalities otherwise.

Blimey! talk about action packed! Sorry to hear about that poor lady and her horse - you did well to stay calm - something like that would have really shaken me.

the horse my hubby used to ride who was on permanent loan to my yard owner wasnt used for hunting with my YO anymore because the vet discovered quite a strong heart murmur and adviced against him going hunting as he could drop dead from over-exertion at any point....YO returned him to his owner at the end of the 2 year loan....they were looking to rehome him to another hunting home!!!!! so worrying that that could happen to him and his rider on a hunt all because the owner wasnt being honest!

Jebus, that sounds like one hell of a day!! You ok? That must have been pretty dreadful to have to help someone through, then followed by falls later in the day!

juliecwuk - it's terrible that someone would put the horse and any potential rider in so much danger as to be selling a horse for a purpose that it's medically unfit for!!!

the horse my hubby used to ride who was on permanent loan to my yard owner wasnt used for hunting with my YO anymore because the vet discovered quite a strong heart murmur and adviced against him going hunting as he could drop dead from over-exertion at any point....YO returned him to his owner at the end of the 2 year loan....they were looking to rehome him to another hunting home!!!!! so worrying that that could happen to him and his rider on a hunt all because the owner wasnt being honest!

thats bloody awful - whats wrong with some people!

I know! They said they were going to look for another loan home rather than sell...but in a way that's worse since the new loaners wouldn't know unless they told then bout the murmur, whereas if they sold him there would be a chance the potential owners might have him vetted and find out about the murmur!

Gutted for the poor lady but as someone said the horse died doing something it loved.

You are the type of person I would want on the hunting field if I was riding. Well done black pony and fab picture

I would hope a vetting would show up a murmur, i get any of mine checked annually with vaccination.
Not ever been drag hunting, would prefer it but was never really sure if its faster or not as no waiting around.
Been on hunts where people fall off, all part and parcel and its a risk sport.

Newforest, with the drag you usually are on the go for 20 minutes then stand around for 15 minutes, then go again, then stop again.
I've never had a horse I've bought vetted, but its a good idea to get them checked with jabs.
I kept thinking last night, what if that had been my pony? Once the adrenaline goes, reality kicks in and it did make me give blackpony extra kisses and carrots last night.

And Roxys Mum by the powers of facebook I have figured out who you were and who our mutual friend is! Yes it was the same hunt, think our friends friend is ok today it seems.

newrider.com