A confession

Cochise

Jun 3, 2002
Auckland, New Zealand
After years of avoiding it, I saw it staring defiantly out at me from the library shelf. A large white hardback book with a spritely figure sitting on a chair, a crop in her teeth and the words "Jilly Cooper" and "Jump!" exclaiming in large letters underneath. I surreptitiously pulled it off the shelf, tucking it under a pile of other books and slid it carefully through the self-checkout.

I finished it in 3 days. Although the overall story was sweet, I had a hard time keeping track of the multitude of characters with odd names as it wove through a long narrative of success and failure.

What did I do next? Went and got Riders, Wicked and Polo out of the library. I'm halfway through Riders and the other two are staring tantalisingly up at me. What else are disappointingly wet summer holidays for? :giggle:

Hee hee Norm! They're rather good for a fun a read, aren't they? I have to get back to Bakhtin, Derrida and Levi-Strauss (rollicking good fun) *headdesk* soon enough. Remind me why I am doing a Masters degree in English Lit again?

Yes - I read Jump. Daughter told me that by the time I got to the end I would know all I needed to know about National Hunt racing. i.e. racing over fences. I'm not sure the earlier books are quite so instructional?

Highly recommended for that reason but dont be mis-led as I was by the publicity which said it was all about an older woman falling for a horse. She may fall for said horsey but unlike me and OH and we oldies on NR, she doesnt actually get on and ride it herself!

newrider.com