A cunning plan

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
I have a second amazing horse. It is six years since Suze did any training. Last night i did a lot of thinking about Buddy, if he has to retire so be it, he owes me nothing and i owe him plenty. It would hurt but whatever is best for him is what will happen. We will throw the veterinary book at him and see where we end up.

Suze has done no training since i got him six years ago. She is cool as a cucumber, totally chilled, nothing bothers her. Today I put Buddy's new saddle on her - she has had a saddle on a couple of times before - girthed it up. She didn't move a muscle. We went through all her training, yielding, backing up, half passes, circles and change of direction. I made reins of the rope and we did walking with me at her shoulder, asked her to back up with the reins, perfect step at a time.

Everything i asked, she remembered and did. No resistance, no anxiety. so i am going to start working her every day and with a bit of luck in 6-8 weeks' time i am going to hop on board. that's the cunning plan. We'll see how it goes but i know and trust Suze, she trusts me, and while I know the one i should ride is Fleurette, the one i want to ride is Suze as my gut feelng is that she could be a one off. She isn't fast, she doesn't buck, rear, doesn't do anything sudden, she will be very comfy. Now she is much leaner, Bud's saddle seems fine on her but of course would get it checked, i just wanted to see if it remotely fitted her and how she felt about it.

It may sound daft age 63 to decide to go and back my own horse but I have spent hours working her before, and I know her inside out. I only stopped with her when Molly died and we bought Buddy so I had something to ride after 8 years off and not to put pressure on her and rush her. She has changed so much from the feral mare who turned up. She is now more like the typical comtois dope on a rope which I thought I was buying.

How lovely to hear this. Suze has always been such a lovely horse, I think the two of you would make a fantastic partnership.

worked her three days now. first time this morning took her into the field. She did standing out of your space, despite grass everywhere, didn't try to eat. circles including walk trot walk halt both directions and change of direction. Reined her from shoulder in circles, will get the other rope and do proper long lining. She was afraid of the whip when doing that so put it down and she did some nice work. remembers flexion. Has forgotten how to drop her head. Backs up perfectly. Hasn't really forgotten anything. Yesterday I worked her on the yard with Buddy chasing Fleur and being a wally. She was reining in and out of the uprights in tight circles ignoring the chaos Bud was creating. She really works and concentrates completely. She is very good.

Reactions: MrC and Jessey
Suze sounds super. I don't remember ever reading her story, but maybe time to grow up and settle was just what she needed. How lovely if your next riding horse was in your field all along!

Sending good vibes Buddy's way too.

Suze sounds super. I don't remember ever reading her story, but maybe time to grow up and settle was just what she needed. How lovely if your next riding horse was in your field all along!

Sending good vibes Buddy's way too.
if you search on Suze there are pages of her from when she arrived, having a foal, her history. Buddy is wearing his borrowed Bioflow boots and has had the dentist today.

Reactions: Feawen
Oh my! My friend would love her - she hankers after a flaxen mane and tale! That is one pretty lass!

newrider.com