A desperate situation... 60 horses stranded on flooded land *Updated*

Dark Storm

Well I'll be a Krampus's Auntie! :D!
Jan 4, 2009
Hadfield
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...78851691172.2192292.1293924117&type=1&theater
This has been going on for over a month now, these poor horses now have no grazing, it's all under water now, the public having been feeding them (and according to the original report from the 29th Nov, the rescue services).. some of these horses are now lame.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-20539048

I hope this situation is resolved soon for these guys, I certainly can't see it getting any better :unsure:

Last edited:
This relentless rain is becoming so so worrying, thank goodness for the emergency help, our main grazing is very similar to the picture except they can get up to the gate for feed but they are knee deep in mud and water now, will it ever go away, it's horrendous.
You think to yourself, the rain has to stop soon but the forecast is still more of the same :stomp:

This is very close to where I used to live. There is a very big gypsy community in the over/longford area. It is basically a flood plain for the River Severn as it flows into Gloucester city center.

Poor horses, I know the water will take weeks to go.

Terrible situation,there just seems no rest from it at the mo! would rather it was freezing and hard ground than this.

My friends Horses she has cancelled Christmas and is trying desperately to get a new home for them and selling some very valuable horses cheeply to raise money bless her destitute times for her :frown::frown::frown:

Highly unfortunate for the horses :( Fair enough being caught out by the floods but surely the owner has enough money to pay for hay for her herd through winter?

Perhaps his hay got washed away along with his home contents.

I wish they(the news people) where putting more information about how people are coping on the farms/horse owners etc.

Are any charities starting an emergency fund?

The report didn't mention any damage to property. But if this person's hay store got wrecked by the floods then that's really tough.

Poor horses :(

Feel really bad for everyone who has been affected by the floods and heavy rain in the UK.

We've been pretty lucky this winter in Ireland, it is amazing that I am only a few hundred km from some parts of UK but you get such more extreme weather sometimes.

Hope the situation with the horses can get sorted soon.

daftdraught so sorry to hear about your friend, that is very sad time for her

Extracted post "UPDATE.. the vets have been down but it was to dark so they are going back out tomorrow at 2 when they will decide the horses fate, there are 17 left and they are the old and ill we can't stop the owners from taking them tonight and until the vet comes again the war is not won. Nicky Turner-Sterling will be on later to update but has only just got home and needs to eat :) she thanks you all for your help and kindness. All the horses have been fed and have clean water (thanks to seven trent) they vet has seen them all and treated them :) please if you want to go meet them or show your support go at lunchtime. we have enough rugs but Hayledge and carrots would be wonderful :) "(posted about 9pm)

how heartbreaking that this situation was left to get this bad.

Perhaps those horses don't realise it but they are swimming for their lives. They should of been rescued alot sooner, why was nothing done??

That video is harrowing, is that the owners or just members of the public? hats off to them for risking their safety to try and save them

Now, I can post these pictures, but feel the others are far too horrific to post..
Removed, been on long enough...

Last edited:
Yes, there's 6 left :frown: Someone will get wind of where they've gone at some point, you can't hide 13 horses for long..

You look at the Appaloosa's bum, he/she has her thick winter coat, making the weight loss, not look as bad.. but it's evident that there is muscle wastage, and he/she is in the very early stages of becoming emaciated..
A month is a long time to go without proper forage, there's nothing green whatsoever on that farm apart from the weeds that the horses can't get at, and some of the trees..
I couldn't bring to myself to post any pictures of the dead, it's just too grim, and those on FB will already know just how bad things have got for these horses. This is more than a simple case of getting flooded in, the owner had something to hide, and they ran out of time in regards to hiding it..

newrider.com