A dominant mare thing?

squidsin

Feb 16, 2013
Roxy has been a bit difficult to lead the last few days, on her toes generally, and neighing a lot when stabled. I think the issue is that a new mare arrived a couple of weeks ago which shook up the dynamic and Roxy has established herself as herd leader now within the mares field. So she doesn't want to be parted from her b*tches! It's a bit annoying as she was easier to handle when she didn't care if she was in or out - now she wants to be out, and dragged me out there this morning as she was the last to be turned out. Didn't want to come in (I had the back person today) and was neighing like mad when I left - but they're all brought in at 2.30 so not much point turning her out in that bog again. Any advice? Will she settle again - this Female Boss thing is a bit wearing!

That's mares for you - mine has been really grumpy the last week or so - including teeth gnashing! Today she was back to butter wouldn't melt ... :rolleyes:

Yes, it will probably settle once the new order is established.

Reactions: squidsin
Yes, they're not called moody mares for nothing. Mine has shown NO interest in other horses until now - now she's all 'OH ISIS YOU IS MY BESTEST FREND IN ALL THE WORLD AND NO OTHER HORSE IS ALLOWED NEAR YOU BUT ME AND WE MUS NEVA BE APART!' Weird.

Yep my guy didn't care if he was in or out or with others but since Hes the only gelding in a field full of accommodating tarty mares and he's boss well he's just turned in to a pain in the butt at times. Isn't neighing or being anxious just very mine mine mine withe everything :rolleyes::):rolleyes:

His lead mare however is being a twit with the others and just won't letvanyone near him at times.

Reactions: squidsin
Years ago when we were on our first yard, madam made friends with one particular mare and was the boss of the whole field (which wasn't good I can tell you as some people moved their horses away from her she was so bossy!). Every morning it was shenanigan city turning her out, whilst I did battle with the other mare who was really noisy and clingy. I ended up getting zapped off the leccy which was just horrible! In the end I started taking OH with me after he'd turned his out (mares and geldings were separate). Tbh we moved yards anyway after a year so not sure how it would have panned out. All you can do is be firm and consistent and try not to let her turn the whole thing into an excuse to play up when ridden etc.

Years ago when we were on our first yard, madam made friends with one particular mare and was the boss of the whole field (which wasn't good I can tell you as some people moved their horses away from her she was so bossy!). Every morning it was shenanigan city turning her out, whilst I did battle with the other mare who was really noisy and clingy. I ended up getting zapped off the leccy which was just horrible! In the end I started taking OH with me after he'd turned his out (mares and geldings were separate). Tbh we moved yards anyway after a year so not sure how it would have panned out. All you can do is be firm and consistent and try not to let her turn the whole thing into an excuse to play up when ridden etc.
Yes, that's my worry, really. But she's usually fine to ride even though she has her moments on the ground - I just need to keep reminding myself that!

We have 1 gelding out with our mare's. Don't know why that's just how it's always been. Becca was always top mare until this summer. It seems her best friend and her take it in turns. The gelding in the field loves her the best though ,every time I turn her out he comes galloping over,making all kinds of noises, and her back to him. Mostly its nice to see but sometimes it gets a little heated when either one doesn't want to play.

Annie is like that, not because she's the boss though (she definitely is not!) but she just makes friends too easily, and once she's latched on to someone she makes a right fuss when I take her away from them - she is one of the most shouty horses I have ever met :rolleyes: It is a good day when I get her up onto the yard and my boss comes out and says "oh hello Annie, I didn't hear you coming" :p She is not allowed to be bolshy when led though, whether she is desperate to get back to her friends is no excuse, she was a git to lead in the early days because she was so insecure and I do not want to give her an excuse to go back to that! I don't know what you can do about the clingy behaviour unless you are able to give the two horses a break from each other, you certainly can't do anything about her shouting her head off but I think you need to really put your foot down with the leading before it gets out of hand. Dragging you out to the field is no good anyway but it could easily escalate to her actually getting away from you completely. I would start taking her back to the field in a bridle so you have more control, and with a long rope or lunge line so that if she does start to get away from you you have a bit more to hold onto. Ask her to walk by your shoulder or a little bit behind, and she must keep pace with you, not the other way round. As soon as she gets ahead of you or starts pulling, circle her or ask her to stop and back up until she is back in position, she should get the message quite quickly that she goes out at YOUR pace whether she wants to get back to her BFF or not!

Reactions: squidsin and Rubic
Oh I didn't let her drag me. She tried but didn't succeed - I had my daughter with me as off sick from nursery so no way was she misbehaving. I'll be leading her in the dually if this carries on though.

newrider.com