A great lesson - back on a riding high!

kiwigirl

Jan 27, 2007
Auckland, New Zealand
Went to my other RS today for a 30min private. On a different horse there this time as well - my goodness I am clocking up riding different horses now - 6 now in total at the RS - plus those on treks.

Anyway this is always an intense 30min lesson so pretty much straight into canter in 2-point around the arena, then some 2-point over poles and a couple of baby jumps and then progressed to cantering over two baby jumps in a row - yeeha:D! It was surprising good and I felt suprisingly balanced - just listened to my RI the whole time, leg on, shoulders back look ahead, knuckles on the mane - I really trust her and result is me staying on the horse!

My canter still needs loads of work though - on the right rein my inside legs flaps around alot! But I am definitely more relaxed and using my lower leg to stay balanced and relaxing my hands more. At times I do still get a bit of a bounce going and try my best to sit deeper - any tips? Still not sure about my steering either - even though we are going around the arena I get the feeling the horse knows what to do! Spoilt to be on such a lovely schoolmaster - he also goes straight into canter as soon as you sit and give the most subtle leg aid - such an amazing feeling.

Wow, sounds like fun. Wish we had an RS around here. Or I'd go to it. It would kinda be good to have some one actually tell me what I'm getting wrong instead of, telling me that I'm doing really well.

You ask how to sit deeper? AH, that is an art (which I haven't fully gotten), no, it's allright, here this is what I have read, and found works for me, don't push down in the saddle, it might work for you, though I have never gotten it to work for me, just let you weight into the saddle, don't push on the stirrups, just let your weight drop into them, don't let your thighs squezze (sp?) because that pushes your bottom out of the saddle, and thus doing the opposite of a depper seat. Just sink really deep into the saddle. I found how I get it, is at the halt before I even start, then stop maybe half way thorugh and do it again, I can't sit the trot so I don't do it then, but I do it in the canter. I do find it really helps me. If I was incorrect in anyway please correct, anybody and everybody. But I do hope that helps you Kiwigirl.

newrider.com