A horses memory

Stephelia

Nov 7, 2001
South Shore of Mass
Visit site
I have recently posted in a thread that my horse took off on me while on a hack; then stopped short at the barn turnoff, and off I flew! I have discussed the situation with my instructor and of course we have concentrated our lessons on control and gaining the respect of my horse. it was the first time on the trail for me, and my horse, and it was a bad decision to go out by myself. I don't plan on going on a trail again until more lessons, and also when I can get somebody to go with me.

Here's my dilema: Now I am fearful that because I let him get away with it that first time on the trail, that he will always think he can. I know that lessons in the ring will improve my control and riding skills, but I've had a big blow to my confidence, and I've lost trust in him.

One issue I have is the weather, its winter in New England, and I can't ride much (no lights at our barn); so I will get much more riding time in the Spring.... I keep telling myself things will get better, but I have these irrational fears creeping in when I least expect it!

Sorry for the long post, I'm reaching out to other people who have experienced the same.

I need to clarify my question

My fear is not of falling, its that even as I improve my skills, the horse already has "my number" because of his successful runaway on our first trail. How much "de-programming" is involved after I let him get away with it the first time?

okay, this isn't quite the same thing, but it's a respect issue like yours. I used to work in a trekking center and I rode a pony called Hannika for most of the rides that I took out. She was a lovely pony but the first time that I rode her she totally took the pi**. She wouldn't walk past certain things like a tractor that she went past every morning to get from her feild to the stables, she wouldn't walk past sheep and on one occasion she ran backwards down a hill into the people that I was taking out because she didn't want to go on the road. The first time I rode her I was told that she used to be difficult but the head girl had sorted her out. So I didn't take a stick out with me. After that time I took a stick every time I rode her. She slowly started to get better with me, but could still be really stubborn. By the time I left at the end of the summer (after three months of riding her) she was much better with me. But I don't think that she would ever have truley respected me enough not to play up at times. Thats just her character. (Thankfully I wasn't the only person she was like this with. She was acctully worse with another girl who worked there so she didn't get to ride her that often.)
Basically you have to persever. Thankfully I never lost any confidence in her so I didn't have that hurdle to over come.
Sandy, one of the ponies I ride these days, lost my confidence a few months ago when I had to run him into a wall to stop him from cantering. (I was leading him and he had a disabled rider on his back) But then about a month ago I rode him and had a really good lesson and now I love him to bits and think he's my dream pony. So with Sandy it only took one really good lesson for me to regain my confidence in him.
I expect that you'll feel nervous right up untill you ride your horse out on your own again and find that the work that you have done with him has worked wonders. But take things at your own pace. When your ready to ride outside again take someone with you and have them infrount when you go for a canter. Eventully (whenever it feels right to you. It could be ten mins into your first ride out or it could be after months of riding out with a friend) when you feel that you have control you have a canter in the frount then take the big step and ride out alone.
I'm sure that everything will be fine. But just remember that these things take time.
Good luck!
Snugs:D

Stephelia,

Dont worry about your loss of trust in him, it will return you just have to focus on the good parts, i'm sure they out way the bad parts! They always do when you think about it!
I suggest that after a couple more lessons you should go out for a hack, because it's important to get back on and out! It's a bit like when you fall off, you need to get back on or your lack of confidence grows. I suggest you stick to clear paths and don't ride across open areas until your sure you are in control. I also think you should go out with a couple of reliable solid horses so that you can sandwich your horse in the middle if he starts to act up.
If possible take him around the lanes before you ride him on grass. Another thing you could try is to lunge him for 20mins before you ride him on grass to take the tickle out of him.
You didn't mention what your horse was like or what tack he wears. It might be worth considering a stronger bit and a martingale when you hack him out, to use as artificale (SP!!) aids just in case. In a situation like this its better to have a stronger bit that you dont use rather than a gentle bit and no control.
Hope all this helps.
;)

thanks so much!

Your advice is fantastic. Here's my plan!!

1. I'm going to keep up w/ my lessons in the ring (far and few between until the good weather is here - we have no indoor or lighted facility).
2. When I do feel more confident, I am going to try the hack again, and with at least one other horse. I agree w/ the sandwhich idea!
3. I'm going to get a stronger bit for hacking.
4. I'm going to lunge him before hacking.

THANKS!

Steph:D

May or may not help

I think from my experience and trust me hacking out or as it is called here in the US trail riding can be a bit scary the first time.

My suggestion is for you to borrow and experienced trail horse if there is one available at all. Go out on the experienced horse a few times maybe as a lesson before trying your own horse again. I was just thinking of how much horses need us as people to be firm but fair leaders and if you feel like you have the situation under control your horse might be more respectful of your wishes. The worst thing that can happen is that you'll get good hacking experience

newrider.com