A "how much weight" thread, ah go on, cute pony pics inside! :p

FelineWolf

Sep 16, 2007
North Devon
After a couple of comments from people on another forum I would like to seek your knowledge as to how much weight you think this pony could take? (Mainly so I can shut people up :p)
He's 3 and a half now and is only used for very light hacking work once a week. Arab x dartmoor.
He's not mine, he's one of Sarah76's ponies (I ride her horse Doolie) but these pics have been up before so I'm sure she won't mind me putting them up again.

Field003.jpg

Field002.jpg

For reference (cos I'm not entirely sure of his height) the horse in that second pic is 15hh and the girl standing next to the pony (me :p) is 5'4".

Both Arabs and Dartmoors are sturdy and have good bone generally, not a huge amount, but flat and hard.

Looks to have good big feet too and strong pasterns, he's no weed,

When mature, not now, I think he'd be easily up to 10 stone for all day mucking about. Slightly more in short steady bursts.

He's very handsome, I was going to say pretty, but boys need to be handsome.

Oooh quick reply, thanks :)

He's very handsome, I was going to say pretty, but boys need to be handsome.

LOL, yup, he is a handsome lad, but he's also quite the nosey git! That pony gets into everything, you cannot say hello to anyone in the field without giving him a bit of loving ;) :D

I'm afraid I wouldn't put 10st on him - I'm just over that and I wouldn't even consider getting on him, for a short ride or a long! I wouldn't expect him to carry more than about 9st for general riding - 8st if he was doing a lot of very fast hard work (XC, hunting etc)

I agree with what Wally said. Both of those breeds are strong with good dense bone that can handle higher loads. He will be able to carry the weight at maturity, the problem will be if the rider and his barrel match. With the arab he might stay a bit more stream-lined and won't have the barrel to take up the leg like some of the wider ponies can.

newrider.com