a light cough getting worse on medication

subsectionx

Sep 7, 2004
Florida
www.subsectionx.com
Yes it's me again....but you guys give such good edvice...:D
my welsh cob (magic) he had a mind cough when I bought him too... Ive been given him antibiotics for going on three days now..3 penicillion pills a day. I was told to give them to him for 5 days andhe should be fine but my question is...
should the cough be getting worst? much harder cough now..I now that with us that we get worst sometimes then get better but I dont know if that goes for horses too........:(
when he coughs he uses his whole body now,, before it was light like a sneezy cough....
oh too he isnt really coughing all the time, only when he is running around the pin... or when he gets excided

:p this should be my last new topic... you guys are probably saying
:rolleyes: gosh women give us a brake :rolleyes:

thanks again

Has the vet been out? It sounds like there's an infection there as well as other isssues.

My girl's just getting over SPAOPD, (Summer Pasture Associated Pulmonary Disease). She's still on Ventopulmin after three weeks, a large initial dose of antibiotics and a large dose of steriods.

The vet thought it was an allergy to tree pollen, (and the fact that other yard users were putting dry hay in the field to compensate for the lack of grass before the leccy fence was moved.)

Basically, treat it like COPD, soak hay, bed down on dust free bedding, and get the vet out!!

Horses are aerobic animals. If their lungs get knackered, there's not a lot that you can do with them.

Good luck!

J x

RE: cough while on meds

WELL GUYS.. My gelding is doing better.. but not becuase of the penicillin. I got a different wormer and treated him and ended up seeing that he had round worms.. poor baby has had three different wormers since Ive had him (only about 3 weeks)
he started passing the round worms the next day about 2 inchs long... he is running around the field with the mare and stallion and not one cough. boy I was really getting worried...
thank you guys so much for your input

newrider.com